Lt. Commander
# 1 Priority One Interviews CGray
04-16-2012, 03:42 PM
In this week's episode of Priority One, Content Designer Charles Gray makes his podcast debut and shares some exciting news.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Tholians AND EVA SUIT!!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-16-2012, 05:23 PM
The part that concerns me is the part where he speculates about the FEs. The dev says, "maybe a FEs doesn't have to be 5 episodes long, maybe it can be 4 episodes & a PvP map". I would hate hate a PvP mission incorporated as part of a FEs. I don't PvP, most of the people I know don't PvP. To have PvP shoved in as part of a FEs would put us in a position where we would probably have 0 interest in completing the series.

I realize he's only speculating but still it sounded like a terrible idea to me.
Lt. Commander
I was listening to the Priority One interview with content designer Charles Grey. Honestly, it reaffirmed a lot of what I thought about content production, the mindset of content creators at Cryptic (building missions around showcasing gameplay mechanics and gimmicks), and the direction, focusing on replayable content.

At the same time, I've seen swarms of players who want to leverage Foundry-style content or want more storyline content from Kestrel without necessarily pushing the tech in every new mission. The interview with Gray suggests that the focus for the content team is very much bleeding edge mechanics and he confirms that is why they take so long to develop missions.

I think this leads into the perpetual "What is content?" question and I think what a lot of players want falls outside of what the "Content Team" does. So if what we're asking for isn't content in the eyes of Cryptic, maybe what we need to be asking for isn't "More content" all the time but, very specifically, for Kestrel to get a staff dedicated to advancing storyline through "lower budget" missions while the core content team focuses on its gimmicks and wacky tech hookups.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Okay, guys. I have some work I need to do. But I will beat you to that Braveheart sequence. That may get inserted into my next Foundry mission.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-16-2012, 08:51 PM
"Pushing the tech boundaries" sounds a lot like an excuse for not making new content.

Kestrel has notebooks piled high with content that could be made with the current tools I'm sure...stop pushing the boundaries of technology and push the boundaries of the human experience already. Even the Trek writers knew they had to have some character development in between technobabble and starship scenes.

Even the nice simple dailies like in Deferi space (one of which was made by Dan Stahl I believe) would be welcome if they came in at a steady pace and could be done on our schedule and not us planning our lives around YOUR calendar.

I heard, paraphrased: "We COULD make content regularly with the existing tools but instead we want a new gimmick in each mission"

I'd like to see the Devs take their own advice and instead of asking the Foundry authors to develop themed content I want to see the Content designers take a Foundry challenge and use the Foundry tools or their Dev tools and create a mission based around the same idea Branflakes throws at us.

Some of the classic/best Sci-Fi was told with a constrained budget and resources. That's why there's so much of the human experience in Trek, they never had a huge budget for mindless Michael Bay-splosions and such. The worst stories are usually the ones told with the most gimmicks and tech behind them (The 2800 seems to be the least popular and maybe most disappointing FE to date and it seemed to have the most bells and whistles).

I just wish, after the second time using "we're always pushing the boundaries of tech and so that delays content production" someone on the P.O. podcast would have stepped up and asked a followup to the tune of "Why don't you make more content with the tools you have? Or make that content while those other tools are still in development?" instead of reminiscing and making jokes. Maybe they did and I just didn't notice then again after the second time that excuse was used and no followup came I just stopped listening.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
I agree but think it's counter-intuitive to what the content guys do and are good at.

I think Kestrel needs her own team, dubbed Story, with a couple of people dedicated just to telling stories with the tools and without pushing the tech/gimmick budget. Leave the Content team as they are but maybe redub them the Event team for clarity.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I was listening to the Priority One interview with content designer Charles Grey. Honestly, it reaffirmed a lot of what I thought about content production, the mindset of content creators at Cryptic (building missions around showcasing gameplay mechanics and gimmicks), and the direction, focusing on replayable content.

At the same time, I've seen swarms of players who want to leverage Foundry-style content or want more storyline content from Kestrel without necessarily pushing the tech in every new mission. The interview with Gray suggests that the focus for the content team is very much bleeding edge mechanics and he confirms that is why they take so long to develop missions.

I think this leads into the perpetual "What is content?" question and I think what a lot of players want falls outside of what the "Content Team" does. So if what we're asking for isn't content in the eyes of Cryptic, maybe what we need to be asking for isn't "More content" all the time but, very specifically, for Kestrel to get a staff dedicated to advancing storyline through "lower budget" missions while the core content team focuses on its gimmicks and wacky tech hookups.
I was considering making a thread about this... there's no need for every mission that comes out to have some super awesome new tech or things like that. The Featured Episodes are supposed to be special - a few of them a year, with their voiceovers and cutscenes and new tech is fine, but the majority of missions released should just be missions. No need for movies or voices, just let us play the game!