Lt. Commander
# 11
04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Almost nothing on the foundry. I DO NOT care if it's complex, the players can learn, and if they don't like those tools, they don't have to use them. These are excuses for not adding stuff to the foundry. 99.99% of the time it's excuses and lockboxes, only 0.01% of it is for adding new content. Cash grab!
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightionNY View Post
Okay, DStahl is the executive producer of STO. Let's say the interview this series took roughly an hour; maybe two. Let's also say, you, as a player, have the ability to make Stahl do whatever you want him to do, instantly, without hesistation. He can do nothing except what you mandate, which would be "actually work on the game."

What exactly would you have him do in those two hours on the game? Given that he's the EP, and not strictly a coder/modeller/programmer/artist.

I would love to hear how people would manage the STO staff if they had that kind of power.
You assume I'm asking to mandate the Devs? Don't recall naming Stahl by name given that he IS the EP and does the least coding of the team. He'd be the least relevant to ask to do more coding, seeing he mostly delegates jobs as he IS the EP.

I never mentioned things being done instantly, no idea where you got that assumption. I made comment that we see more interviews than Feedback from the Devs.

I mentioned the DOFF system as an example of player and dev working as a team to get something everyone is happy with.

Honestly everything you mentioned wasn't mentioned by me in my post @.@
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
What is most interesting about the interview is not the rather light questions (seriously, though, the writer was invited to their offices -- you can't expect Walter Cronkite throwing hardballs in a situation like that) but rather what is not-quite-said.
Hmm... It definitely sounds more like a "Star Trek Amusement Park" theme is going here, which... is not a *horrible* thing, but this does underline something:

If you have a theme park, you need to make stuff for people to DO in the theme park. The Tilt-a-Whirl is not going to be more fun to ride if the only thing changed out is the seats your butt is in. =)
Honestly, the big thing I can see here is the possibility of roleplay alts.

The way I see it, these would be TRULY monster play alts. They'd include KDF and Feds but probably include lots of minor factions. No leveling. Limited ship array. Level 50. Title capped at Captain or faction equivalent.

Prepackaged with roleplay goodness for the character slot but maybe not the whole account so that the slot can have a taste of everything relevant to its roleplay concept without breaking the bank.

So, y'know...

Cardassian Gul in Cardassian uniform with a Galor, Galor interior. Maybe restricted from PvP and earning dilithium but capable of doing any faction's mission. Comes packaged with 5 Cardassian BOs and a Cardassian DO compliment.

TOS Captain with full access to TOS uniform options. Comes with a bunch of human BOs and DOs, one special Half-Vulcan. Gets a TOS interior and a Connie.

Maybe to make roleplay alts social-based, have them unable to pick up missions on their own but capable of teaming with anyone and playing missions shared by any teammates.

Hm. Maybe instead of a hard level, they automatically take on the average level of their team.

So with a roleplay alt, you show up places and beg for a team slot if you want to play.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-17-2012, 04:25 AM
DStahl said it:

"There's an opportunity that we're missing, to allow people who just want to be in the Star Trek universe to just make a character and pop into the universe and not have a lot of expectations of what to do, to let them visit the places they just want to visit. So they can experience Star Trek without having the game tacked on to that. That is an experience I desperately want to get in there in the future. Not near future, but at some point. It's been bugging me that there are tons of people out there who may not want to play an MMO but want to have fun in the Star Trek universe."

Oh man, I'd go crazy if I'd just already have that opportunity!!! Boldly go where no Star Trek game has gone before ...
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Yet more talk with absolutely no action......
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGalaxy
Almost nothing on the foundry. I DO NOT care if it's complex, the players can learn, and if they don't like those tools, they don't have to use them. These are excuses for not adding stuff to the foundry. 99.99% of the time it's excuses and lockboxes, only 0.01% of it is for adding new content. Cash grab!

Realistically, they should revamp the way the foundry works entirely. It should be free to use to create (maybe charge dilithium to publish), but should be charging dilithium to play the missions. Not crazy dilithium, but some. Split the dilithium between cryptic (vanishes) and the author... ratio decided by publishing cost? Spend more up front, get a bigger cut later?

That will drain dilithium from the economy, making it worth more relative to cryptic points, which ultimately means more money for cryptic, albeit in a roundabout way as people need more cryptic pts to aquire a given amount of dilithium.

With continually generated content, consumer satisfaction is higher, and Cryptic basically gets free "developer" work, freeing up their paid employees for other tasks.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Blade
You assume I'm asking to mandate the Devs? Don't recall naming Stahl by name given that he IS the EP and does the least coding of the team. He'd be the least relevant to ask to do more coding, seeing he mostly delegates jobs as he IS the EP.

I never mentioned things being done instantly, no idea where you got that assumption. I made comment that we see more interviews than Feedback from the Devs.

I mentioned the DOFF system as an example of player and dev working as a team to get something everyone is happy with.

Honestly everything you mentioned wasn't mentioned by me in my post @.@
I saw this conversation and I would just like to add my POV on it. Interviews can be arranged, scheduled and timed. My interview with Dan was 27 minutes long. They're an EXTREMELY busy team. Feedback on forums DOES take time away from a developer's work-time so I think it's fair to say you will see less dev involvement in the forums as they are nose-down and working on the game.

I apologize if I misunderstood the foundation of the discussion - but I thought it was important for people to realize that when I was there I personally observed a room full of people who were sitting at their posts working diligently.

I tried very hard NOT to bother people too much. They were very gracious. And by the way, technically, I was not invited to Cryptic - I asked through formal channels if a visit was possible. I was traveling to the area for personal reasons and hoped that they could accommodate a visit from me. Brandon made the arrangements specifically so I wouldn't become a burden to the team or become an interruption that would keep them from working on the content they REALLY ARE trying to get to the players.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightionNY View Post
Okay, DStahl is the executive producer of STO. Let's say the interview this series took roughly an hour; maybe two. Let's also say, you, as a player, have the ability to make Stahl do whatever you want him to do, instantly, without hesistation. He can do nothing except what you mandate, which would be "actually work on the game."

What exactly would you have him do in those two hours on the game? Given that he's the EP, and not strictly a coder/modeller/programmer/artist.

I would love to hear how people would manage the STO staff if they had that kind of power.
Ok, here's a list -

1. Actually play the game, and learn how it works.

2. Read the KDF Gameplay forum.

3. Read a book on business ethics.

4. Have lunch with Gabe Newell, and learn how a game company should be run.

5. Smoke a couple bowls of something really good, and play Tomb Raider Legend.

6. Learn to speak Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGalaxy
While you personally may not care it it's complicated, I can tell you that there are many potential players that do and will care very much if the tool is too difficult to use. While you may hold the opinion that you're a good enough player to learn complicated tools, a company needs to make its products accessible to more than just those who have the time, energy and already have a foundational knowledge of computer creation tools under their belt. They need to appeal to people who *don't* have that knowledge or experience.

There are many, many people who want to make a mission/story in The Foundry who may not have your expertise. I think it's unfair to demand that they be excluded from access to a portion of this game simply because we may lack your knowledge.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHell View Post
Yet more talk with absolutely no action......
+1

You can put up interview after interview, but if things aren't changing in a positive direction in-game (which right now is overwhelmingly negative), you are wasting your time and ours. The "smoke and mirrors" routine only goes so far before people see right through it.