Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Every server requires electricity. For those that have to pay bills in California you will know about price hikes.
What are you doing to conserve electricity. For me it is to not play video games anymore. NOT own a graphic card that requires so much electricity. What can these server farms do to be more green.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Here's an idea - reduce the active playing population so less server bandwidth is required. Or maybe smaller farms.

How?

Implement a 'no win' Ferengi lottery based on lockboxes
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
Here's an idea - reduce the active playing population so less server bandwidth is required.
So what you're saying is STO should go back to a subscription based model and back to like 30k or so players. Crickets in Shantytown. It was making them green!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-17-2012, 04:57 AM
I would like to hereby proclaim I am resigning as the King & Queen of Crazies.

I think I'll do something normal for a change.
Like... I dunno... Get a puppy? Is that normal behavior these days? Oh or get one of those electric scooters.
Curtains! I'm going to buy new curtains!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2012, 04:59 AM
If you're going to get a puppy, please make sure the curtains match the carpet. Potty training is a delicate process and good feng shui is essential.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
If you're going to get a puppy, please make sure the curtains match the carpet. Potty training is a delicate process and good feng shui is essential.
Well actually I'm getting 2 rats next week. Gonna be sweet!
Jean-Luc and Worf.

And the curtains are going in the middle of the livingroom to cut off the sitting area.

But back on the topic. Did the OP consider free range servers?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-17-2012, 05:07 AM
I have helped... I've taken away my kids and GF's computers (Technically they belong to me anyways), as well as the TV...

All thanks to the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
So what you're saying is STO should go back to a subscription based model and back to like 30k or so players. Crickets in Shantytown. It was making them green!
I've read worse ideas...
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintronic View Post
Every server requires electricity. For those that have to pay bills in California you will know about price hikes.
What are you doing to conserve electricity. For me it is to not play video games anymore. NOT own a graphic card that requires so much electricity. What can these server farms do to be more green.

Hmmm, Well for me i'd never get rid of video games . . lol, i suppose the best thing i do for my carbon foot print, is to turn off things i'm not using . . i:e having the t.v on for background noise . . try not to have my heating on a too much, and i also only put on the boiler twice a day for 30 mins for hot water, i also recycle all my glass, paper and so on.

To be honest you must be using your computer to post here, and i'm sure it's not makeing much of a difference that you're not using it to play games . . besides . . while i'm playing video games for example . . i'm not out driving my car . . . which would be far worse :-) . . i much prefer the impulse engines in STO, they only produce . . . Gas . . . Ionized gas :-) . . lol

Woo !
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-17-2012, 05:57 AM
The servers are in Boston. If there is a environmental do-gooder town not in California, that is it. I'm sure they have some sort of solar panels, wind turbine, or whatever powering a lightbulb.

I get my electricity from a nuclear power plant and a hydroelectric dam. So all of my power use is green. In fact, if I don't use power it just gets wasted as they do not control the output of the power plant at the watt level. They control the output at the megawatt level. In order to reduce the output of the power plant by one megawatt over 1,000 homes would have to completed come off the grid. Even then it would have to be for an extended period of time before they actually adjusted the total output.

All of these towns going dark for Earth Hour aren't actually reducing anything except their own bill. The power companies have to keep the same output in order to handle the load that comes back at the end of the hour. It is more efficient to just maintain a constant load rather than going off and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
But back on the topic. Did the OP consider free range servers?
Oh, crap. I snorted orange juice.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-17-2012, 06:14 AM
If you're worried about the power draw on your video card, take a look at the new lines from both nVidia and ATI. No significant increase in performance over the last generation (the nVidia might even be a drop), but their power consumption is close to what the mobile junk from last gen was. This is a pattern that's likely to continue the next several generations, since graphics have largely plateaued for most of this generation. More polygons no longer produces substantial improvements when graphics card output has been measured in polygons per pixel for a while, instead lighting and atmospheric effects are the main points of improvement. There's not much demand for anything more powerful, but there is a concern about them pulling 200w and generating more heat than an IR heater.