Lt. Commander
# 121
09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
I think many of you are over thinking the skill trees and what not.
i can certainly understand the concept of end-game toons being same in nature, but your reaching too far too fast i think.

i may have this wrong, but it seems you do have levels, but unlike WoW or Lineage2, a Commander of Science, will not have the smae skill set or tree as a Commader of Engineering. Thus the difference. And even if the Commander of Science wanted to learn the Engineering skills, his counterpart would be educated/mastered in his specific skill sets rather then a jack-of-all trades on every skill set.
Lt. Commander
# 122
09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy_Lent_Morte
I think many of you are over thinking the skill trees and what not.
i can certainly understand the concept of end-game toons being same in nature, but your reaching too far too fast i think.

i may have this wrong, but it seems you do have levels, but unlike WoW or Lineage2, a Commander of Science, will not have the smae skill set or tree as a Commader of Engineering. Thus the difference. And even if the Commander of Science wanted to learn the Engineering skills, his counterpart would be educated/mastered in his specific skill sets rather then a jack-of-all trades on every skill set.
From what they've said, someone who picks the Science path will have access to "ship side" (meaning skills while on board you ship) skills from Science, Engineering and Tactical, all of the skills. But on the "ground side" you will only have access to Science skills.

So let us say that it takes 1 year to max out all of the open skills at the end of that year a maxed out Science Capt. will be the same as another maxed out Science Capt. but different from a maxed out Engineer.
Lt. Commander
# 123
09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
I continue to wish they would pick more questions. If only the creme de la creme are answered, we'll have alot of mysteries on our hands
Lt. Commander
# 124
09-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_IS_GREEN View Post
I continue to wish they would pick more questions. If only the creme de la creme are answered, we'll have alot of mysteries on our hands
What real mysteries do we have? Honestly with this set of information we have a great deal of information on how the game is going to operate we may need the picture colored, but we can certainly see what the image is of now.
Lt. Commander
# 125
09-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Could tell us something more about crafting system how it will work? Items from crafting are going to be the best - end game or from drop? Is there going to be Auction house?
Lt. Commander
# 126
09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
Those of us that know we will be in the Closed Beta must realize ..this is for 'Testing' and will most likely have the accounts wiped come the Open Beta, and wiped again on release

A bit early to start planning a 'Main' Much to the ire of some the Closed Beta most likely won't have much 'PvP', but that has to be tested to I guess.
I'll agree that the Closed Beta Testers should not think they get a "head start." They are testing the game out for the Devs. However, what they will get, is an idea of what kind of character they'd like to play and have some insight as to how to play ground vs. space.

Per topic: I'm reasonably happy about this, however, with space, I'd hoped that Tactical, Science, Engineer abilities were a little restrictive. Basically from this article you could play as a Engineer/Tactical (ground/space) character if I read the article right. I don't mind basic skills like phasers and quantum torpedoes being available to everyone, but opening something like the Science character's shield drain ability to all sounds kinda like it takes away from the Science profession--if that is indeed the case.
Lt. Commander
# 127
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan6526 View Post
I'll agree that the Closed Beta Testers should not think they get a "head start." They are testing the game out for the Devs. However, what they will get, is an idea of what kind of character they'd like to play and have some insight as to how to play ground vs. space.

Per topic: I'm reasonably happy about this, however, with space, I'd hoped that Tactical, Science, Engineer abilities were a little restrictive. Basically from this article you could play as a Engineer/Tactical (ground/space) character if I read the article right. I don't mind basic skills like phasers and quantum torpedoes being available to everyone, but opening something like the Science character's shield drain ability to all sounds kinda like it takes away from the Science profession--if that is indeed the case.
From what I gather from perusing the former news and 'Ask Cryptic' , if you have a ground 'party' with someone else. One 'team' could be Engineering another in the group could be Science, and both groups share their respective skills on finding information at least that is the way I see it. Cryptic hasn't really said much about the 'player group/party' aspect of the game, other than to say there will be some missions/tours that will require help for another player (like a Borg invasion)
Lt. Commander
# 128
09-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
I have to say that this is one bit of information that has me VERY disappointed in the direction of the game. Sounds like in order to get better skills you need to go up in rank. The rank of Admiral should not be in game this early on as it doesn't give us anywhere to advance prior to launch. Archer, Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway were all CAPTAINS at first.. this rank has lost so much meaning because of the direction this game is taking.

I know Cryptic can't please everyone... this is the first thing that has me quite upset.
I don't see any problem myself with you starting a 'career' when you first start playing STO. You are a Lieutenant fresh out of your first training as an Ensign and have shown your superior officers and Starfleet that you can be trusted with a command of your own. Although still a bit 'green' (no offense to Vulcans ) your command skills will improve over time. You are assigned a very small ship befitting your rank (Hey! at least its not a garbage scow ). Where you go from there is totally up you. Certain movies (historical documents ) show they didn't all 'start out' as Captains. Picard got a knife in the heart when he was cadet and was also crew on the Stargazer. Kirk learned his command skills at the Academy (and got a commendation for his solution of the Kobiashi Maroo (what ever the spelling)).

In my estimation it will be no easy task in the game to become an 'Admiral' or even Captain for that matter. When you finally get to that rank in the game, Cryptic will most likely make you feel as though you have earned it..

You want to be as famous as Archer. Kirk, Picard, Sisko or Janeway .. "Make it so!"
Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 129
09-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Amazing :d :d
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Lt. Commander
# 130
09-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I just realized something...

We can max out or ship skills because.....

We have Bridge Officers!
It's like having a full party of every class already. So of course we can max out every single skill: It's not the captain, it's his/her crew.