Lt. Commander
# 51
09-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks again Rekhan (and other Cryptic staffers) for getting these answers out so quickly. The more I read about it, it reminds me of something akin to Eve (without the time-based) and FF X (the 'cloud' grouping of skills) mixed with some special, nougat-y goodness. I can't wait to see some of the skill names/paths/whatever lol.
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Numerous: Will PvP award experience?

Yes! You can rank up entirely just by participating in PvP.
Congratulations PvP fans, you won't have to bother with actual content anymore...I fail to see the appeal in just tearing each other apart for advancement. Will we find advancement easier via slaughtering other players or taking our time completing the content that Cryptic has spent so much time working on? Or maybe this is, like EVE, going towards a PvP model dressed in a Starflet Uniform?

Since we are apparently looking at supporting a variety of play styles, can I rank up entirely without ever having to do ground combat? How about ranking up without ever firing a single weapon? I think this game is so unusually crafted that i am really not sure what to expect from it...
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
We do need to clarify one thing, which is in regard to this question and the previous one: The profession you choose – say, Engineer – will limit the ground skills available to you, but not the space skills. So as an Engineer, you can still buy Photon skills (Tactical) or Sensor skills (Science) in space, but on the ground you only get access to Engineering skills. The ground game is more traditionally class-based, whereas in space you’re more limited by the type of ship you fly. We want you to be able to go into different ships and mix up your skills as much as possible.
This is awesome. Good design choices Cryptic looking forward to try out the game
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Quote:
The profession you choose – say, Engineer – will limit the ground skills available to you, but not the space skills. So as an Engineer, you can still buy Photon skills (Tactical) or Sensor skills (Science) in space, but on the ground you only get access to Engineering skills.
This is really good news! If I could have my way, I'd enable a limited cross-training with ground skills as well (e.g. lowest tier Tactical skills are available to everyone, but at a higher cost for Science and Engineering characters, and vice versa), but then again, I don't know how exactly the ground-based challenges are designed - a team of generalists might overpower the NPCs in combat too easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
We don't know if "Tours of Duty" [...] bears any resemblance to the real joy of scientific and cultural discovery (even in a game) or if it's just a form of constantly running around "doing things" as though mere activity = fun.
I'm guessing it will be more like the latter. "Here's a bunch of stuff for you to do in this area/along this path." Still, at the very least, it can create a Trek flavor with the sense of patrolling instead of the usual "go here, do quest, go back to quest giver, go in an entirely different direction for the next quest etc." routine.
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenatevi View Post
Well, the thing to consider is that acquiring all of the ship skills means that he isn't going to have the skills in weapons, or shields, or whatever other skills, so he won't be able to mount those nice quantum torpedoes, or have access to the best pulse weapons. Having access to all Ships != victory.
As far as I understand you just have to level the skills without any caps. So I asume you just have to invest more time if you want all ships and all equipment. And to me this sounds great. It will not be overpowered because you are limited by the shiptype you currently use. If you have 8 weapon slots you can equip 4 disruptor and 4 phasers or 8 phasers so maybe not to much advantage (depending on situation) by maxing both skills instead of just phasers. But you have all the options available.
Lt. Commander
# 56
09-18-2009, 12:18 AM
this must be my favourite ASK CRYPTIC (so far).
everything that has been stated sounds very reasonable and good.

can't wait!!!
Lt. Commander
# 57
09-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
Congratulations PvP fans, you won't have to bother with actual content anymore...I fail to see the appeal in just tearing each other apart for advancement. Will we find advancement easier via slaughtering other players or taking our time completing the content that Cryptic has spent so much time working on? Or maybe this is, like EVE, going towards a PvP model dressed in a Starflet Uniform?

Since we are apparently looking at supporting a variety of play styles, can I rank up entirely without ever having to do ground combat? How about ranking up without ever firing a single weapon? I think this game is so unusually crafted that i am really not sure what to expect from it...
you know... to some, including me, PvP actually IS content.
and as no one is forced to PvP and I am a great fan of diversification, I can see nothing bad about that.
on the contrary, I always thought that NOT getting XP via PvP is a somehow failed design.
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurit View Post
As far as I understand you just have to level the skills without any caps. So I asume you just have to invest more time if you want all ships and all equipment. And to me this sounds great. It will not be overpowered because you are limited by the shiptype you currently use. If you have 8 weapon slots you can equip 4 disruptor and 4 phasers or 8 phasers so maybe not to much advantage (depending on situation) by maxing both skills instead of just phasers. But you have all the options available.
Quote:
You can max out every skill eventually. We plan to keep adding skills to keep ahead of people, and by the time you’ve progressed through the endgame content, you’ll only have about half of the total skills you can acquire anyway.

Oh, you were correct, but from the sound of it, it sounds like a soft cap, so to speak like in Eve. You can theoretically get all of the skills, but maxing out is easier said that done. Personally, I hope that ships are a substantial skill point costs. Learning the ins and out of a ship is more complicated than learning to use a new weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 59
09-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
I haven't had much to say lately since it seems that STO has been going more in an arcade game direction, not to mention the occasional buzzkill comments from Official Persons regarding some features that are important to me. Complaining gets boring fast, so I try not to do it too much.

It's been a pretty tough few weeks, though. (Not from everyone's perspective, of course.) This isn't turning out to be the game it could be and that I hoped it might be.

That said, I'm speaking up now because there's finally been something I could be pleased about, comment positively about, and perhaps even (dare I say it?) get just a little bit excited about.

This:

Something about "exploration!" Finally! /sincereApplause

It's still many light-years away from describing the gameplay actions we would actually be doing on these Tours of Duty. We don't know if "Tours of Duty" is simply a mechanic copied from some other game (like aggro, ranged healing, buffs, etc.) with a Star Trek name pasted on it, or if it will consist of applying character and ship abilities that are both uniquely representative of Star Trek in ways that are fun as gameplay. We don't know if it bears any resemblance to the real joy of scientific and cultural discovery (even in a game) or if it's just a form of constantly running around "doing things" as though mere activity = fun.

All those caveats said, this is still the best thing I've heard in quite a while. I'm trying not to get my hopes up that this statement means there will, in fact, be gameplay in Star Trek Online that a reasonably mature and intelligent person can enjoy...

...but yeah, that got my hopes up a little.

I don't expect everyone will feel the same "still not sure any more but feeling a little better" way I do about STO based on these latest revelations. That's OK. It's very cool if other folks are really excited to hear these brief words about exploration. If you folks like what you're hearing from Cryptic on this subject, let them know!

--Flatfingers
I think I understand your concern. But on the one hand, I already read several times about exploration and that missions are _not_ going to be "kill this, fetch that, scan this planet....". It's been more like "Go there and take a look, things are odd." And coming there, there really is something to discover and perhaps a real problem to be solved. So, at the moment, I prefer to keep up hope and faith in Cryptic that it will be as it sounds.

@Post: Seems to be an interesting skill system. I'm not sure if I like the "In the end you are able to master every single skill" thing. This eventually means that two engineers who have all skills maxed are essentially the same character - or did I get this wrong? If they'd choose the same ships, what would distinguish them?
Lt. Commander
# 60
09-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Quote:
By the time I reach Admiral, will my skills be locked or will I be able to max out every skill eventually?

You can max out every skill eventually. We plan to keep adding skills to keep ahead of people, and by the time you’ve progressed through the endgame content, you’ll only have about half of the total skills you can acquire anyway.
Wait, Rekhan. Didn't you just say yesterday that skills were a Triangle where as a Lieutenant you build up your foundation and eventually become specialized in a task.

So if end up maxing out all the skills eventually, doesn't that make everyone the same? And there not being any real specialization?

Quote:
So as an Engineer, you can still buy Photon skills (Tactical) or Sensor skills (Science) in space, but on the ground you only get access to Engineering skills. The ground game is more traditionally class-based, whereas in space you’re more limited by the type of ship you fly. We want you to be able to go into different ships and mix up your skills as much as possible.
Engineers are only ground based and have no use in space?

Quote:
There are “missions” like “Protect the Ambassador” or “Explore this Sector” or “Discover this many systems/special anomalies,” which don’t feel like a traditional MMO mission.
Hate to disagree with you but they very much feel like traditional MMOs, the only difference is that it's being told from the Star Trek Universe.

And that last one "discover this many systems / special anomalies", seems like what people been saying all along with the "kill 10 tribbles" missions.

Quote:
Will PvP award experience?

Yes! You can rank up entirely just by participating in PvP.
Well up to the end, my enthusiasm was killed off, but this made it somewhat okay. But if people can level off by PvP kills, then you better expand PvP beyond the Neutral Zone.