Lt. Commander
# 1 BoFF tanking ability advice
04-08-2012, 03:19 AM
Hey everybody,

I took a break from playing STO about 3-4 months ago, but i just started playing again about 3 days ago. I have an Eng/Sovvy that i use to tank, but i want to see if i can improve on my BoFF abilities. Now i know the Emergency Power to XXX are all on the same CD and so are the Sci/Tac/Eng Team.

Right now here is what i have:
Lt Tac - Spread 1, Tac Team 2
Ens Tac - HY 1
Cdr Eng - EPW 1, ES 1, EPS 3, EWP 3
LCd Eng - EPE 1, Aux to Int Damp 1, ET 3
Lt Sci - TSS 1, HE 2

What i was thinking of going to
Lt Tac - Tac Team 1, Atk Pattern Delta 1
Ens Tac - HY 1
LCd Eng - ET 1 ?, Aux to Int Damp 1, ET 3 ?
Lt Sci - TSS 1, HE 2

The changes are:
dropped: Spread, Tac Team 2, Emer Pwr to Engines
picked up: Tac Team 1, Attack Pattern Delta 1, and another Eng Team (1).

My reasoning:
Tac Team 2 to 1: i'm assuming duration stays the same...energy/projectile damage goes down slightly
APD 1: cast it on myself and i get a damage reduction buff and enemy gets damage increase debuff
ET 1: this one i'm not sure of...if ET 1 and 3 share a CD, then this is pointless. Maybe go from EPS 3 to Aux to SIF on my Cdr Eng, and then on my LCd Eng go from ET 1 to EPS 1.

let me know what you guys think
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2012, 03:26 AM
To make the last part easier to read, go with:

Ens Tac - HY 1
LCd Eng - ET 1, Aux to Int Damp 1, ET 3
Lt Sci - TSS 1, HE 2

OR

Ens Tac - HY 1
LCd Eng - ET 1, Aux to Int Damp 1, Aux to SIF 2
Lt Sci - TSS 1, HE 2

OR

Ens Tac - HY 1
Cdr Eng - EPW 1, ES 1, ET 3, EWP 3
LCd Eng - EPS 1, Aux to Int Damp 1, Aux to SIF 2
Lt Sci - TSS 1, HE 2
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Your understanding of emergency powers is a little off:

If you want to be much more Tankie then you should do everything possible to max your shield damage resistance.

Use 2 copies of emergency powers to shields (preferably level 3) they can be chained indefinitely for 100% uptime. There is no stronger way to increase your shield tanking ability 100%

Ensure your shield power is adjusted so that you have 125 shield power when running EPtS 3.
Run TSS 2 and RSP 1.

Ensure you get a couple shield distribution DOFFS that provide shield heals when using brace for impact.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Overall, I'd drop HYT for FAW. Unless you're soloing.
If ES is Extend shields, I'm not a fan on a tank build. Reason being, it's only usable on allies, not yourself. Where I try to make myself as indestructible as possible. Some things are more useful as they can be used on both myself and allies (Eng teams, Aux2SIF, HE, Sci team, Tac Team).
Also, EWP is not easy to make real useful on a cruiser (without Aux2Damp, and even then...).
RSP3 or EP2SIF3 would be more useful on a tanking cruiser setup. Even ES3, to be really honest.
I'm not a huge fan of Aux2Damp. Things may have changed since I last used it though, to be fair.
I guess, my mindset is that my job is to keep the majority of the aggro, and to survive it, and to heal/support when I can afford the cooldown.
I had a tactical teammate for damage. While more helps, it's not my job.

Here's what I've found to work pretty well:
*DISCLAIMER*: YMMV. Also, I am always trying out new builds.

Lt Tac - FAW 1, APD 1
Ens Tac - Tac Team 1 (maybe torp spread for missions)
Cdr Eng - Eng 1, RSP 1, EP2S3, RSP3
LCd Eng - Eng 1, Aux2SIF 1, EP2S3
Lt Sci - Sci Team 1, HE 2

FAW works nicely in generating threat (particularly for taking the alpha) with my 6 points in starship threat control. And with everyone and their brother targeting you, delta is handy.
Tac, Eng, Sci teams and HE (beyond their regular utility) are great for clearing debuffs.
I could really probably do without dual RPS's, but hey... in a sticky situation, I like having both around.
I keep a ton of Aux batteries around too. I use them A LOT.
I like Aux2SIF more than eng team (fast recharge AND dmg resist), so that's why I stashed them both in the ens slots. Just my opinion.

Also, the subspace field modulator (from "Skirmish") can be very handy. Well, as long as you're not tanking devidians.

Anyhoo, hope that helps, and good luck!