Lt. Commander
In this week's episode of STOked, Chris and crew sat down to talk with Ship Artists Ian Richards and Jeff Miller.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
In this week's episode of STOked, Chris and crew sat down to talk with Ship Artists Ian Richards and Jeff Miller.

Link to the news article.
Enjoyed the interview and looks like a lot of GREAT stuff coming. Quick suggestion (request, really). I've noticed on a lot of the ship designs there are what appear to be windows on the top and bottom of the saucer and engineering sections. Now, if you can control gravity you could do that but it would mean transitional areas thruout the ship with gravity gradients where the orientation shifted... very complicated and probably uncomfortable. If the gravity is on the same orientation thruout the ship then you've got large areas where the windows are overhead or under your feet.

If you look at early designs (like TOS Connie and Connie refit) you'll notice the windows only appear on the sides of the structures... not the tops and bottoms.

Not a big thing, I know, but last week a new Ensign fainted when she walked into a room and found herself staring down into open space <grin>

And let me put in a vote for the Connie costume idea for upper tier ships! GREAT idea! Love it!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2012, 11:17 AM
definitely watching this later, any leak info on ships i'd love to see! oh thats cruel, an ambassador on the splash screen!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Congratulations to STO Foundry author Alimac30 who is joining the STOked crew!

Love that Ambassador-class vessel on the splash screen, too!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Great episode - keep `em coming!

One question: if we do get that Connie holoprojector, will it flicker? That would kind of ruin the immersion...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-17-2012, 10:36 PM
That Ambassador-class splashscreen was just wrong. :p What game was that image actually from? I hold out hope that it will really happen some day for STO. Good interview. I'm so glad the Ship Team has returned to being an actual team again.

Kudos to all those player's who have managed to master the Doff system enough to interpret the enormous amount of data which benefits the player's. My head is still spinning. But I know the details will help me as time goes by.
Lt. Commander
# 7 A big question in my mind
04-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Hello. Great episode btw Chris. ( also watching it live is more fun ). But now to my question, that is directed to JamJamz or DStahl, I don't know exactly who i sresponsable for that:
- you are mentioning the introduction of more ships, but there are a lot of us who allready have the max number of ships. So if I want to get a new ship i have to dismiss one, but I want to fly that ship too, ( not taking in consideration that I paid some real $ on it). In the early daysthere was a mention that this max number is going to be solved. But when?
As an ideea. I know the db issue, regarding ships, and the fact that on some maps you need to have acces to these ships and their loadout, having a large number of ships the querry for the db will be a very big problem for your hardware, but maybe you can split up the db into different tables regarding shuttles and ships. As gameplay mechanics, on a starbase you select a ship, and after that you outfitit with the disered shuttles ( as you do with ship devices now). Then you transition to the interior of your ship and switch to your shuttle. I know that more operations are required, but this way the big social maps on the starbases will not have lag due to enourmous querries. But this is only an ideea. My question remains: will you increase the number of max ships available to us?