Lt. Commander
# 1 I've noticed a bit of a bad trend
04-17-2012, 10:25 AM
After leveling up my recent Klingon and spending a bit more time around ESD and other home stations I have started to see an unfortunate trend for our new players.

What I hear from them a lot is the inability for them to get enough Dilithium to buy a new ship and any equipment for it. Basically they can level so fast that they end up trying to do higher level missions with MK II gear and an old ship. Even I found that I was running with junk gear I picked up from a War Zone. If I did not go to the War Zone I would not have had hardly anything worthwhile at all.

This ultimately leads to folks running around with a smear of torps, mines, cannons, turrets, dual cannons, DHC, beam arrays and banks. Their energy weapons do not match and they have hardly any worthwhile consoles, deflectors, shields, or engines. They play the game with really wacky BOFF setups because they hardly have any sort of a set design for their every morphing ship.

They ask all the time where they can get a lot of Dilithium. People sometimes give them an idea of how to get some good Dilithium but they run into the problem that even if they CAN find enough Dilithium to get the next ship the massive amount they need for all the gear for the ship gets them to the next grade and they end up again needing a new ship and all new gear marks. They also rarely have a lot of EC and cannot afford to try to buy their way to a decent setup on the exchange which hurts them further.

After all this frustration they go to STF's and bigger PvP Ques and get hammered by the NPC's and the Players because they have an out dated ship, with cruddy equipment that might be White or under leveled Greens, Blues, or rare Purples, and are running an absolutely hilarious mix of energy types, weapon types, and BOFF setups.

So basically what we have to summarize is: People level too fast to gear properly thanks to the way Dilithium is set up in this game. This super fast leveling ends up leaving them with no real knowledge about how to play the game or set up their ship, let alone have any good gear or knowledge about ground. They take this lack of knowledge and gear into STF's and PvP and get hammered by player and NPC alike. This ripping is very demoralizing and often degrading from the Players and leave them with a notable lack of enthusiasm to keep playing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-17-2012, 10:39 AM
It is a way to magically hide the lack of content.
Shazaaaaaam!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Stuff is cheap enough on the exchange that this is a non-issue
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Between crafting and smart use of the exchange, I didn't have trouble gearing for level until like rear admiral upper half. At that point the need for dilithium to craft and the really high prices on gear at the exchange became an issue for a time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Why do they need dilithium for a new ship? They get a T4 ship for free when they reach Lv 40 that's sufficient for everything including PvP and Elite STFs.

I agree with the leveling being so fast that they'll end up with crap equipment though. But that issue is completely seperate from Dilithium IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekaioshinde
Why do they need dilithium for a new ship? They get a T4 ship for free when they reach Lv 40 that's sufficient for everything including PvP and Elite STFs.

I agree with the leveling being so fast that they'll end up with crap equipment though. But that issue is completely seperate from Dilithium IMO.

Keep in mind, I am talking about Freepers here not Golds or Lifers. As for the exchange prices being fine that only holds true if they can spend all day watching the exchange to try to get a good deal. Many of the best sorts of weapons and gear are put up for far too much EC for what they can rake in at lower levels.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
[color="Lime"]
Keep in mind, I am talking about Freepers here not Golds or Lifers.
They also get the ship for free at level 40 I must know, I was a F2P player at that time. (While I don't pay monthly, I dropped a lot of money on the c-store since then, but that was quite a while after I reached level 50 on my first character).

I totally agree with you about the equipment/EC though. But I don't think normal STFs are too bad even when you go into them with common Mk X gear for 20k EC from the vendors. You'll very quickly get much better gear.

I think the bigger issue than monetary/inventory gains are that most players don't get to learn the game until they reach endgame. Unless you take the initiative and dig into wikis or the forum or join a fleet and get tought stuff, the help you get ingame about the various game systems is totally insufficient.

But I'm also not sure what CAN be done about that. I recently introduced a friend to the game and his reaction to whenver a tutorial or even a lengthy quest description came up was "I'm supposed to read all that now?". There is nothing that can help such players and I believe that type is unfortunately the silent majority. (People who don't read also tend to not chat/participate much in forums or ingame social zones).
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:

Keep in mind, I am talking about Freepers here not Golds or Lifers. As for the exchange prices being fine that only holds true if they can spend all day watching the exchange to try to get a good deal. Many of the best sorts of weapons and gear are put up for far too much EC for what they can rake in at lower levels.
I wrote a FAQ on this as a matter of fact - as a previous poster said, F2Pers get free ships, same as Golds do.

If anyone asks about this PLEASE let them know, far too few people know about this, considering the questions I see on the forum and in-game (though oddly, less in the game than the forum).
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:

So basically what we have to summarize is: People level too fast to gear properly thanks to the way Dilithium is set up in this game. This super fast leveling ends up leaving them with no real knowledge about how to play the game or set up their ship, let alone have any good gear or knowledge about ground. They take this lack of knowledge and gear into STF's and PvP and get hammered by player and NPC alike. This ripping is very demoralizing and often degrading from the Players and leave them with a notable lack of enthusiasm to keep playing.

I read your entire post. What I quoted was the only thing I feel has any merit in your assessment.

All the other things you pointed out have to do with a persons ineptitude and the only way to cater to any of it would be to dumb down STO into a kiddy arcade which frankly to many of us they have already started doing and that has been very unfortunate.

Of course as you have already pointed out a great deal of that ineptness has to do with people being allowed to level far too fast.

It should take the average person months to level up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
What I hear from them a lot is the inability for them to get enough Dilithium to buy a new ship and any equipment for it. Basically they can level so fast that they end up trying to do higher level missions with MK II gear and an old ship. Even I found that I was running with junk gear I picked up from a War Zone. If I did not go to the War Zone I would not have had hardly anything worthwhile at all.
Either those people are lying to you are you're lying to us. You get free ships from t1 to t5 at level 40.Plus you can't do higher level missions as all missions are level specific. If you're not level 30 you can't do a level 30 missions, let alone one higher to try and gain more xp. And all foundry, exploration, and patrol missions automatically adjust to your level.

And since each ship comes with free gear when you get it you're not forced to use mk 2 gear ever in a more advanced ship. Plus the game still loads you with energy credits and you can buy mk 2 to mk 10 gear quite cheaply on the exchange.

Maybe you have an adjenda for posting, but if you do you should atleast post facts that can't be refuted by anyone who's played the game.
Closed Thread