Lt. Commander
# 1 "Rude" house guests
04-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I've been noticing that something has been happening more frequently when people are visting for onboard doff jobs. You announce that you have a mission that people might want and the responses that come back sound like 2 year olds. "invite?" "me" or if you're really luck "invite me". And then after they've got what they want they just disappear without saying a word.

I'm not expecting an invite request to read like Shakespeare or gifts of Gold lock boxesGalor's etc , but is it really that difficult for people to stop acting like a bunch of knuckle-draggers and take a whole 5 seconds to be polite.

Anyone who waits around so that you can do a job on thier ship could be using that more productively for themselves, so why be an ill mannered window-licker about it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Simple solution. Add in "Polite requests for invites only please" and ignore the ones who don't understand the concept.

I did an invite bunch once. Never going to do it again. Even to the point that I don;t even deal with doffjobs anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't necessarily chat back when I appear on the bridge, but I always emote something, usually a dance, before running off.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I thank my hosts after I get the DOff mission. It's polite.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I say please when invited and will say thanks in local if they're right there on their bridge, but I generally won't say anything in a tell after picking up the assignment so as to avoid mixing up the tells of other people who need invites. I've on occasion sent items afterwards if someone shared a couple of really good assignments, but generally I consider I've paid them back by advertising and inviting when I get something good in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty
but I generally won't say anything in a tell after picking up the assignment so as to avoid mixing up the tells of other people who need invites.
May I make the suggestion that stating that you've obtained the doff mission in question would be a good idea? I know the time I did one, I wound up sitting there for a bit waiting to hear if those users were still trying to get the mission. I didn;t have a clue as to what they were doing.

That list of people on your ship that shows up appears to only show those on the same level as yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Like all social interactions, we will eventually come to a consensus on what is normal and expected behavior in bridge invites.

At this point I believe it is best to get in, get the mission, say thank you and get out. If you want to give the host a couple of contraband or something like that, that's cool but not necessary.

The key is they are offering to invest their time letting you accomplish your goals so respect their time, don't dawdle - get in, get the mission you came for, and get out.

Nothing is more rude than running around the whole ship checking every officer for random missions that the host is not offering, and don't be upset if it gets you expelled.

As with everything, this is just my opinion, and I know others that I respect highly who disagree with me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
You can stay after the host leaves, can't you? I'm almost sure I did this. I wouldn't have a problem with someone checking my tac etc for missions I can't see because I've already completed them.

One curious thing that happened though, was after I announced a mission in-sector, someone asked for a bridge invite so they could get that mission. It did work, but it kinda bothered me, since I had to jump onto my bridge to invite them. What are everyone's thoughts on that? I'm thinking in the future I might do it for special missions, but commons probably not. IE, "Temporal portal in BN, msg me for invite to my bridge if you want to pick it up directly".
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moronwmachinegun
You can stay after the host leaves, can't you? I'm almost sure I did this. I wouldn't have a problem with someone checking my tac etc for missions I can't see because I've already completed them.

One curious thing that happened though, was after I announced a mission in-sector, someone asked for a bridge invite so they could get that mission. It did work, but it kinda bothered me, since I had to jump onto my bridge to invite them. What are everyone's thoughts on that? I'm thinking in the future I might do it for special missions, but commons probably not. IE, "Temporal portal in BN, msg me for invite to my bridge if you want to pick it up directly".
Yes, I have had people ask for invites to my bridge for sector available assignments. That is incredibly rude. I usually tell them I have already left the sector.

*edit*

I do have a problem with people hanging about looking for assignments that I have not offered, but as I said, there are quite a few people that I respect who disagree with me.