Lt. Commander
# 11
04-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catliketyping
Why?

You want to pew pew like the movies? Then fly your Cruiser for everything, and never worry about DPS, IMO.

The worst thing about Torpedos isn't the arc, IMO. It's that they potentially take DPS away from my beams/cannons in the form of 1-2 fewer slots for beam/cannon, plus the potential loss of a damage console for the truly rainbow-y builds.

Torpedos are fine IMO. Be a generalist if you want, but don't expect MOAR DPSs.
I would not be so sure about that. Just read this post in this thread. And maybe take a look at this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3lMSkRacTBuTGc
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz200565
I fully agree there,but would like to go one better too. Torpedoes should have a 360 degree arc,wether they be on the front or back of a ship. There also needs to be more weapon slots on all ships. The present numbers are NOT enough.
What ship in star trek canon has a 360 arc? yes I agree this arc needs to be increased a little just enough to fire more the one but to overpowering.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Well, I use torpedos on my Assault Cruiser, and they fire a lot with the current arcs. I don't see a necessity for a change.
Assault cruiser is the one of the fastest turning cruiser though. On the other ones it can be a struggle to turn to get your torpedoes in the fire arc.

Maybe it could be increased to 105 degrees. I put 120 degrees as a suggestion and wanted to see what others thought. There was never a torpdeo turret on ships so a 360 for normal torpedoes I disagree with.

I too would like to see more firing hardpoints on ships as just visuals, not actually weapons. Its silly firing 8 turrets from 2 places on your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I didn't read everyone, but i wanted to suggest the following; allow us to purchase firing arcs or positions of them instead of them being fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Off-axis torpedo engagement shouldn't be impossible since the 'projectile' itself is self-guiding and self-tracking. But borrowing a page from the gyro errors inherent in WW2 torpedoes, there should be a moderate to large accuracy penalty for extreme 'over the shoulder' shots, not because we're in 1941, but for game balance's sake.

I am a full time cruiser pilot and I don't have issues with torpedo placement. Just got to think in advance, or deliberately turn the 'wrong' way to rapidly change the bearing to target.

360 degree torpedo launchers? I was going to suggest VLS * or drone racks but it's already implemented in some form - mine launchers.

I use a tricobalt mine to deal 8-46k damage to 'large monolithic targets' and unwary slow moving ships too. Go in <4km, drop the mine, which by itself acts like a 360 degree heavy torpedo once activated.

Going beyond this and giving everyone the ability to spam 360 degree torpedoes like SM2-ERs may not be a good idea at all as it may change gameplay completely.

* For those who are not familiar with present-day naval weapon systems, this is a US Navy VLS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmLI...eature=related

Looks just like your ventral escape pod emplacements eh
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz200565
To answer your question about a 360 degree torpedo making sense? yes i believe it could,in the form of a ships turret on the back of a ship,or in this case,the maximum number of 4 turrets.
In Star Trek, (let's choose TNG) the Enterprise D is equipped with Fore and Aft Torpedoes. If Torpedoes could be fired in any direction wouldn't all Torpedo Tubes fire up or down and than swerve to the target from there. Sure beats the Torpedo doing a one eighty out of the tube.

Yes Homing Weapons should not need an Arc but for the purposes of Canon and Game Balance Torpedoes have an Arc and not an unlimited one.

And look how low damage a Turret is compared to a Dual Beam Bank. Now factor in the DPS drop to 360 degree Torpedoes. Starting to be no point.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Can we get off the 360 degree torpedo and back to the original idea of just a slight arc increase.

Id rather hear discussion on how people feel about a 105-120 degree firing arc.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
* For those who are not familiar with present-day naval weapon systems, this is a US Navy VLS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmLI...eature=related

Looks just like your ventral escape pod emplacements eh
Of course, the present day Navy has managed to discover something which has somehow been completely lost 400 years in the future.. How to lock on and fire weapons at a target more than 10k away.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-19-2012, 04:11 AM
I just imagine that the '10km' in this wierd battle management console is really 100,000km or so which I think is the scale used in SFC2.

In SFC2 you could fire at things at 'range 20' (20,000km?) and slowly wear them out with full-power single shot phaser hits, but most newer players closed to point blank and duked it out STO style autofiring everything.

It's in PvP that pilots learn to fly very fast, keeping the range open to evade torpedoes and conduct precision strikes to take down enemy shields while keeping their own shield reinforcements to max - since beam weapons will only deal maximum damage if the 'phaser capacitor' is full (i.e., the first shot), it rewarded careful strategic play greatly.

Unlike STO, SFC plasma torpedoes could not be destroyed with phasers and the only real defence against them was speed and more speed and never get in range to be intercepted by a plastorp in the first place (it felt like near full impulse in STO terms and don't close below range 10)
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
Can we get off the 360 degree torpedo and back to the original idea of just a slight arc increase.

Id rather hear discussion on how people feel about a 105-120 degree firing arc.
105 seems fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Of course, the present day Navy has managed to discover something which has somehow been completely lost 400 years in the future.. How to lock on and fire weapons at a target more than 10k away.
I imagine the word thousand after all distances reported in STO.

10k = 10,000k

How else could a super fast starship capable of near light speeds with impulse take forever to close 50ks.