Lt. Commander
# 31
04-19-2012, 11:04 PM
The firing arcs fine and matches canon.

However, I could see Cryptic adding new types of torpedos that have a larger torpedo arc, which has lower kinetic damage. Which would because the torpedo would lose tons of momentum firing with higher firing arcs. (Physics people). That or instead of torpedo launchers, we could equip missile launchers that have high degree of firing arcs, even 360 degrees.

And with talk of the Caitian Carrier, I seem to recall mention of a broadside cruiser, that fires torpedoes. So you never know.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
SFC was modeled after SFB, and in SFB each 'hex' is 10k from one side to the other.. so, for me, STO combat has always felt like extreme knife fighting. I'm not necessarily saying ships here should be able to engage each other at 750,000 km (the maximum range for Phaser-1s in SFB), but even something like 250,000-350,000 km as in the newer (and more fun in my opinion) Federation Commander would be much better.

Of course, there are weapons here that have no analogue to weapons in SFB/FedCom (like cannons), so, eh, its not like they could easily port it.

The battles in SFC were a lot more tactical IMO, but a lot more complex as there were multiple systems to watch over and so forth.

I've always hated the range (and no, imagining the range as 10x greater than it is doesn't help as the models are muuuuuch to big then) in STO and wanted them extended, but I know its not going to happen. I like the starship combat in STO, but I'd like it a lot more if it were more like SFC2 (which was the best version, IMO). And, yeah, I know there are 'but you can't see ships at that range!' people, but they could easily add some kind of 'target' box that shows a 'close up' of the ship you're fighting in the UI. And, even with the ranges it used, SFC didn't really have any issue with displaying ships.
You are spot on and i including so many would have welcomed Cryptic coping some of those elements from past titles. I played SFCIII and the elements and the combat were off the hook, I also enjoyed the means of hex flipping and campaigns that would last months upon months until the campaign was over. Strategy and a good team of people, to be able to play the campaigns. I so miss those days of 500 + people in a campaign.

You also had the ability to choose your arc rates in SFCIII, so many combinations that would allow the player to choose from. I would say it isn't any opinion as you state but it is fact of how significant it was in the combat role of the SFC series to be able to trip your opponent with a die factor to micro jumps and speed which was taken into the factor rate of how one would fight in combat and ultimately die but as all games these days no real death penalty which is needed and a territory control system which they are saying will be introduced but will it be something significant or not?

You are spot on your assessment and i know many old players from the series that are in STO and many interviews have asked about the introduction of elements from past titles only to be told they want to give us a new experience but we haven't gotten that unfortunately.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I keep forgetting to hang back and do the saber dance line in SFC.
Part of the problem with them setting these arcs to me is how they have only forward and rear arcs in forward and rear mounts. It's just a case of looking at the designs and wondering why something was done. Gone are the side mounts. The top mount, where you really could mount a 360 array. Then again point defense is odd to me in here also. I'd like to see you able to purchase with EC mounts with different arcs. For different weapon types. Too late for that to happen. Too much work I would think.

Yes, I noticed these rockets have a what 180arc. No idea how they do in combat though. And since they appear to be bound rather then not, won't find out.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kile_Morgan
I'd like to see you able to purchase with EC mounts with different arcs. For different weapon types. Too late for that to happen. Too much work I would think.

Yes, I noticed these rockets have a what 180arc. No idea how they do in combat though. And since they appear to be bound rather then not, won't find out.
I thought the difference between DBBs (bow arc), cannons (F arc) and beams (Fx arc) were intuitive enough. 360 weapons just go in the back slot (turrets).

As for STO point defence it's pretty much JJverse style:

*hits CSV button* Fire everything!
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
While I am fine adapting SFC2 fast cruiser tactics to STO, it does admittedly feel annoying at times that I can't launch torpedoes beyond that 10km range.
Haha.. yeah. Even overloaded torpedoes in SFC could fire up to 80k..