Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 91
05-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
Why fix the Gal-R when the Odyssey is there at a big fat 2K to 4K points cost?
Cause it's another ship for a potential buyer. Why sell one ship (or ship pack) if you can sell two?

I bought the retrofit the last time there was a discount on C-Store items and I don't regret it. On the other hand it's obvious I'd like it to be a bit better Maybe a heavily reduced cooldown on saucer separation? Or some kind of a deflector particle weapon as seen in "Best of Both Worlds"?
Lt. Commander
# 92
05-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamjumetley View Post
Cause it's another ship for a potential buyer. Why sell one ship (or ship pack) if you can sell two?

I bought the retrofit the last time there was a discount on C-Store items and I don't regret it. On the other hand it's obvious I'd like it to be a bit better Maybe a heavily reduced cooldown on saucer separation? Or some kind of a deflector particle weapon as seen in "Best of Both Worlds"?
I don't disagree, I think there are enough people who love the iconic Galaxy who might be enticed to buy if the ship were actually worth it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Cryptic sees it that way.

Why spend time on revising old, when you can spend time making new?
Lt. Commander
# 93
05-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
2) Does the Treaty of Algeron even still exist in this game's timeline? We don't respect the neutral zone, and the treaty was signed with a planet and an empire that truthfully no longer exists. While not really a definitive answer at all, it's pretty funny that Memory Alpha seems to think the Treaty of Algeron is defunct.
according to cryptic it does. why else would no cloaking devices have been installed/developed since the destruction of the hobus system? Just because the RSE is in turmoil doesnt mean the federation wont uphold the treaty on its end.
Lt. Commander
# 94
05-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Maybe what they can do is give it a special weapon like a non mark Phaser dbb with [Critd]x4 or a Photon Torp [Acc]x4 that can only be mounted on the ship.

What they can do then is make the saucer separation console come with the Captain level ship that can be mounted on the Galaxy-r to get people hooked on saucer sep.
Lt. Commander
# 95
05-09-2012, 12:08 PM
we are talking about making this ship better not adding a saucer separation to a lower tier version of it lol
Lt. Commander
# 96
05-11-2012, 09:27 AM
I think the Gal-R could use a universal Boff slot somewhere. It would make sense as the Galaxy class was an exploration vessel, but is rather lacking in sci slots.

Give it a chance to load something other then engineer abilities, and it would be in much better shape. As it is the Ody can do everything the Gal-R can do, do it better, and do a whole lot more to boot.
Lt. Commander
# 97
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
One of the things to keep in mind when suggesting upgrades to a ship that people have already paid for is that the more radical/numberous the changes you suggest, the lower the chance of any change at all being accepted. This is especially true when the ship in question is already near or on-par with other ships of its type in the game.

The Galaxy-R doesn't fall very short at all compared to other ships of its level...it is simply that there are other ships that offer slightly more, and there is an identity issue as it seems the attributes of this ship are mirrored in other ships (Odyssey, Galaxy-X). Taken on its own, it is a very capable ship that doesn't need very much at all to be acceptable...especially given that it is not top-cost.

To that end, I would suggest something similar to what I posted in another thread. Keep the ship pretty much as it is, with one small change. Give the ship a 1.3 shield rating. This would reflect the class's origins as a science/exploration ship while also giving it a unique characteristic not shared by any other Cruiser. At the same time, this would improve the ship's performance, but not so radically as to eclipse other ships in the game or require repricing (along with all the issues that conjures up). I would also hazard that it would more accurately reflect the ability of the Galaxy-class seen in the series to take more punishment on their shields than other cruisers, but be just as vunerable to damage once those shields were down or penetrated.

I would think this would have a far better chance to be implemented and have less of an impact on the game as a whole than making the Galaxy-R a Galaxy-X without the Lance.

My own two cents.
Lt. Commander
# 98
05-12-2012, 12:18 AM
well they did say they were going to make the Galaxy-X be able to do sep, so my guess is rather than fix the galaxy-r they will leave it as is and make people buy it for the sep console and not include it in the galaxy-X.
Lt. Commander
# 99
05-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
While the Galaxy was grand in its time, the Odyssey has aforesaid surpassed it in almost every way.

What I would like to see is instead of the G-R costing 2000cp, lower the price to 1600 for being outdated. Then we'll see more of those!

I am honestly not paying $25 (2000cp) for a star cruiser with saucer separation, when I can get the phaser lance or the MVAE, or ... yes, an Odyssey Operations cruiser with the same price. That universal Lt. Cdr. slot comes in really handy and is something the G-R doesn't have.

This. Cryptic in such an orgasmic fit to scam people they didn't even fix the borked ships they sell there when they created their new cash cow lineup. I actually got screwed on this due to the false representation and duplicitous descriptions they had on the Cstore when I was new. I actually bought this thing. I keep it around, because I like its' aesthetic and it seems 'star trek' more than any other ship I have, but I won't ever make another purchase from the Cstore ship lineup.