Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
04-26-2012, 06:27 AM
i would love to use galaxy R on my engi, but it's a bad choice to spend money on. I don't say the ship is weak per se, but it does nothing another ship for same or a little bit more money doesn' do better.

my 2 cents: give it a Ltcmdr sci slot and an ensign sci. and remove the saucer seperation console, make it a skill again. would fit canon better in my opinion, since they did lots of science experiments in the series.
and i don't think there is a cruiser with ltcmdr sci on fed side.

but this whole discussion is worthless, because there will be no rewamp of either the galaxy x or the galaxy R.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
04-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
While we're on the subject of Saucer Seperation two things need to be done, Pets need to auto returned when they are destroyed this includes the MVAE vectors, Saucers and the Aquarius (and it's BoP equivilent) and the cooldowns need to be lowered from ten minutes as it seems way too high.

The MVAE is especially screwed on this as the cooldown on Seperation mode used is reset to ten minutes despite having cooled down somewhat on rejoin. And yes both MVAE AI Vectors need to be destroyed before the ship reforms, not just one.



In a conversation about BOFF layouts you bring in the other factors, although the free ship is a very good point. But until recently there was no Choice at all for Klingon Cruisers. And they had to live with it.



Cut down, for ease of answering.

A great idea, it fits the ship far better than most of the other suggestions, I've seen and significantly better than the current one. I'd probably buy a Gal-R for solo play because it's still one of the best ships in the game for Nostalgia and playing your own Star Trek Fantasies out.

And the Connie while great is a Tier 1/2 Ship and not so much fun for me for solo play.

The unfortunate thing is Cryptic have said they won't be reviewing old ships. And this one is in sore need of it.



How about because your a member of the Federation and your President signed an agreement not to develop or deploy Cloaking devices? If you want cloaking devices you got the Defiant Retrofit and the Dreadnought. That's an Escort and a Cruiser. There is no way the License holders will allow the entire Federation Fleet to cloak.



See above, somebody pretty much answered that. And every ship in the game can mount Cannons, it's the Dual Cannons that are the important thing here, and for the Record a Turn rating of 9 does not make Whoohoo DHC's on a Cruiser viable.

Take it from a person that flies both the MVA and the Galaxy-X. i prefer the MVA. the Galaxy-X and all other galaxy glass starships need to be revamped to allow them to stand a fight in this day n age. I actually stopped flying the Dread on my science officer and went back to the retrofit intrepid because it was constantly being destroyed. Along with my Galaxy class that i had flown b4 i got to VA. No in response to the MVA comment about them returning when both vessels are destroyed, this is not true. They may be supposed to do that, because i have heard that in the past, but my ships never reintegrate until i order them to, or MY ship, the one that I am controling, is destroyed. At that point in time the ships with automatically return, otherwise the derelict ships just remain on the map like debris until u order them home, or u r destroyed too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
While we're on the subject of Saucer Seperation two things need to be done, Pets need to auto returned when they are destroyed this includes the MVAE vectors, Saucers and the Aquarius (and it's BoP equivilent) and the cooldowns need to be lowered from ten minutes as it seems way too high.

The MVAE is especially screwed on this as the cooldown on Seperation mode used is reset to ten minutes despite having cooled down somewhat on rejoin. And yes both MVAE AI Vectors need to be destroyed before the ship reforms, not just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshl7889
No in response to the MVA comment about them returning when both vessels are destroyed, this is not true. They may be supposed to do that, because i have heard that in the past, but my ships never reintegrate until i order them to, or MY ship, the one that I am controling, is destroyed. At that point in time the ships with automatically return, otherwise the derelict ships just remain on the map like debris until u order them home, or u r destroyed too.
First, your signature should not be that big.

Second I'm going to be repeating myself alot today it seems? You didn't understand me I said they should come back not that they do come back. I have highlighted in Yellow to make it clearer. I left the type in too so it's not like I went back and rewrote it.

They are not supposed to come back when they are destroyed, the game is working as intended. I just think they should anyway. And that goes for Saucers, Vectors, The Aquarius, The BoP and any other seperation they put into the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
04-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
They are not supposed to come back when they are destroyed, the game is working as intended. I just think they should anyway. And that goes for Saucers, Vectors, The Aquarius, The BoP and any other seperation they put into the game.
The only reason I even use the Saucer Separation on the Galaxy is to make the damn thing turn properly, if it automatically rejoined after the saucer was destroyed I'd just not use it. The turn rate on that thing (and the connected Odyssey) is horrible, the saucer separation makes it less horrible at minimal cost but on a long timer, if I couldn't even keep the increased turn rate as long as I wanted without the retarded AI of the saucer taking it away there's no reason to use the Galaxy R at all. I already know I'm gimping myself by taking it, this would just finish it off.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
The problem I have with the Galaxy R is that the cooldown for saucer sep starts when you connect, rather than separate. What's worse, the 5 minute cooldown seems to pause if you do a ground mission. It is annoying to separate to fight in space for one mission, then do a ground mission, then start up another space mission only to have the timer at 3 or 4 mintutes.

I think the cooldown should start when you separate. What makes it stand out from everything but the Odyssey is the base 16 turn rate on a cruiser.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
I'm repeating myself, but you obviously missed it so here it is again.

The President of the Federation signed an agreement not to develop or deploy Cloaking devices. If you want cloaking devices you got the Defiant Retrofit and the Dreadnought. That's an Escort and a Cruiser. There is no way the License holders will allow the entire Federation Fleet to cloak.

You mentioned two episodes, while I suppose I can say the Dreadnought was in two episodes, that does not give the Federation free Cloaking devices for all and any ship. It's against what it means to a part of the Federation.
I never wrote anything about, "allow[ing] the entire Federation Fleet to cloak".

My point was that Cryptic chose to give the Galaxy-X and the Defiant cloaking devices because they were shown using them on screen. By that same logic, they could give the Constitution, the Galaxy-R, and the NX class cloaking devices as well, as they were also shown using them on screen.

As for other ships with cloaking devices, if you really want to nitpick over IP, the Federation signed the Treaty of Algeron with the Romulan Empire, establishing the Neutral Zone and agreeing not to use cloaking technology. In this game's established canon, the Romulan Empire was destroyed, the Neutral Zone was dismantled, and the treaty was abdicated so there is no canon reason the Federation cannot install cloaking devices on whatever ships it pleases, unless you choose to introduce one.

Also, you are wrong with the "Dreadnought" being in "two episodes". It was in one episode, All Good Things, the TNG finale. It appeared in the second half of the episode, in an alternate timeline.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
04-26-2012, 07:48 PM
what possible use would the galaxy R have for cloaking? surprise! ok i gonna heal people now.

the galaxy in game has as bad a rap as it got in the shows, always pushed around by laughably inferior foes. it was starfleets premier battleship with the most powerful phaser arrays and 2 largest most burst capable torpedo launchers ever placed on a starfleet vessel. the fact that the ent D and a some other early examples of the class were full of civilians doesn't make its weapons any less powerful, it just makes you question the sanity of whoever approved the crew compliment. only a ship larger then the galaxy (like the odyssey), with as long or longer phaser arrays (which facepalm, the odyssey lacks) could hope to out gun the galaxy. the sovereign and akira come close with comparable or superior torpedo firepower, but each has less then half the phaser firepower. the galaxy class would absolutely be starfleet's most dangerous ship until a direct replacement was made for it 30-50 years later.

in game, to represent this, a better station setup is needed. the galaxy can function normally with 60% of its interior empty, its extreamly modular and can be setup to focus on ether a scientific or tactical extreme. now, we don't want it to be better then the odyssey, the galaxy's replacement, that wouldn't make sense from a in universe or business standpoint. the odyssey is potentially more modular, to a greater extreme, thus the universal LTC and ENS station. the galaxy's modularness could be represented by lesser stations being universal, to not step on the odysseys toe's.

the 2 LT and 1 ENS station being universal wile the TLC and COM station remain engineering is a perfect fit. it cant have any high level non cruiser powers, but you can arrange your lower level non cruiser powers as you see fit. if 2 of the 3 universal stations are made tactical, you get a 3rd tactical console, the opposite for science. if any universal is used for engineering you get a 5th engineering console. galaxy X should get this same treatment, only it should always have a 3rd tactical console and the ENS station should be tactical, not universal.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
04-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Nevermind ..................
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
what possible use would the galaxy R have for cloaking? surprise! ok i gonna heal people now.

the galaxy in game has as bad a rap as it got in the shows, always pushed around by laughably inferior foes. it was starfleets premier battleship with the most powerful phaser arrays and 2 largest most burst capable torpedo launchers ever placed on a starfleet vessel. the fact that the ent D and a some other early examples of the class were full of civilians doesn't make its weapons any less powerful, it just makes you question the sanity of whoever approved the crew compliment. only a ship larger then the galaxy (like the odyssey), with as long or longer phaser arrays (which facepalm, the odyssey lacks) could hope to out gun the galaxy. the sovereign and akira come close with comparable or superior torpedo firepower, but each has less then half the phaser firepower. the galaxy class would absolutely be starfleet's most dangerous ship until a direct replacement was made for it 30-50 years later.

in game, to represent this, a better station setup is needed. the galaxy can function normally with 60% of its interior empty, its extreamly modular and can be setup to focus on ether a scientific or tactical extreme. now, we don't want it to be better then the odyssey, the galaxy's replacement, that wouldn't make sense from a in universe or business standpoint. the odyssey is potentially more modular, to a greater extreme, thus the universal LTC and ENS station. the galaxy's modularness could be represented by lesser stations being universal, to not step on the odysseys toe's.

the 2 LT and 1 ENS station being universal wile the TLC and COM station remain engineering is a perfect fit. it cant have any high level non cruiser powers, but you can arrange your lower level non cruiser powers as you see fit. if 2 of the 3 universal stations are made tactical, you get a 3rd tactical console, the opposite for science. if any universal is used for engineering you get a 5th engineering console. galaxy X should get this same treatment, only it should always have a 3rd tactical console and the ENS station should be tactical, not universal.
To be fair, I do not think the number of phaser banks is necessarily in any way indicative of how "powerful" the ship is. The only way that might come into play is if the amount of warp core and fusion reactor energy that can be channeled to the weapons exceeds the amount that can be sent through a single bank. It is not clear whether or not that is the case.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
The galaxy class has been shown using a cloak in the series in the episode where it was looking for the USS Pegasus
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 AM.