Lt. Commander
I know it has been stated before but it bears repeating and I hope to make the case a bit better but time gated content is a very unfortunate feature for STO.

I can understand special events happening only for a particular time period but other events that will continue should not be so short lived.

The Mining, Academy, Crafting, Tour the Galaxy, Particle Hunting, Officer Reports, and Mirror Universe Incursions are all decently alright as rotating events on the calendar. They do not require so much time investment and just give you a reward for doing them straight up with no delay.

Red Alerts are a fine example of missions happening a bit at random but frequently enough to be enjoyed at all times. I still see plenty of folks hammering the RA's.

However the Invasion of Defera is a whole different beast. I have only been able to play it ONE SINGLE TIME since it started. Even when I got to play it I had NO CLUE what I was doing or what was going on because I had no time to read ANYTHING. I knew I was under the gun so all I could do was take whatever mission got shoved my way and try to slam through them ASAP. I got to the third part of the mission chains and realized I needed a group and just did not have time for that so I had to abort. However, even my brief taste tells me that I would LOVE to have time to thoroughly explore this place and carry out the various mission objectives. I would love to read those walls of text you Devs wrote for the scenario but with it being so limited and ill timed I cannot hope to see any of it unless someone copies and pasts it somewhere.

The new Shuttle Mission is another wonderful piece of work. A Shuttle Task Force mission. That is the sort of thing we have been calling for... but I may never get to play it... Why? Because you decided to make it one of these missions that is only available on occasion and my schedule does not always permit me to be on. You see, I have to work for that money you want me to spend on your game. It does not magically appear out of thin air. I am sure you can all understand that, you all have to work for your money, none of you Devs are super rich or you would either A) Not have to worry about a Job or B) Just own the entire company and make STO anyway you saw fit LOL.

There are some things for which it is ok to put them on this calendar system but these things should really not be there.

Also it is a bit unfortunate that while I have probably done close to 500+ STF's between my various characters I have absolutely no idea what they are about. I know there is some text that should explain what I am doing and why but I have no time to read that. I have to get the objective done ASAP. So I, like most, skip the text and go kill Borg. I wonder why there are these gates near a star base. I wonder why we are teamed up with our mortal enemy. I wonder why we need to save the Kang and why she magically repairs and warps off when the Cubes are gone. I wonder how the Borg are pumping out Klingon Ships so darned fast. I have no idea what the time portal is or why we cannot just kill it...
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2012, 05:32 PM
I do not get lack of time for a new event usualy at an event lauch get more times than normal
when moves into normal schedual scale back

the shuttle event is a great event who ever comes up with schedule dropped the ball on this one
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I would TOTALLY play shuttle STF like a mad man but with my insane schedule snd the times it's just not feasible. Instead of 2-3 hours a day, what about one (random) day in a week other than STF and Deferi days or any other specials.

I would perfer all the time but 24 hours one day a week sounds like a nice comprise
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-22-2012, 10:39 PM
I tend to agree that the making the new Shuttle event part of the 'Event Schedule' is ridiculous for two reasons:

1) It is fun content; but WAY more difficult than any other event in the rotation.

2) SO MANY players attempt to queue for it when it's up - the STO queue system CAN'T HANDLE IT - and people spend close to 30 minutes waiting for an instanvce to launce - and given the length of the event; that's honestly inexcusable.

Either fix the public queue system or make this something more akin to a 'regular' STF or FA. It looks like a lot of Dev work and resources went into it - but it CAN'T be played much due the the above issues.

And lastly, now that you guys are adding more actual events to the rotation can we get the deadweight events (like the two Lore Datachips event; the 'Time to Craft' event (really? Do you guys think anyone does crafting in STO atm now that there are other and better uses for anomolies in the Doff system?), etc. out of the rotation - we don't need 'padding' events on the list anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2012, 12:25 AM
I agree with the OP.

As one who works nights, I am disappointed that Cryptic chose to withhold content from me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2012, 09:16 AM
I agree fully with the OP

Sadly I feel this will never be even looked at by the Dev's too. They don't seem to care about how we feel about these random events, and their HORRIBLE timing. Atleast make it every 3-4 hours... PLEASE!!!!

Where I am, the only time to do the shuttle even on a Sunday was 9am ( who the hell is up 9am on sunday ) and again at 2am!!! ... 17 hour gap.

SIgh.. finally a shuttle event that I can take one of my 3 cruddy kdf shuttles on. Or one of my awesome 6 Fed Shuttles.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
I have only been able to play it ONE SINGLE TIME since it started. Even when I got to play it I had NO CLUE what I was doing or what was going on because I had no time to read ANYTHING.

Also it is a bit unfortunate that while I have probably done close to 500+ STF's between my various characters I have absolutely no idea what they are about. I know there is some text that should explain what I am doing and why but I have no time to read that.
I agree, the way some events work it's a shame there's not much time to actually read what's going on. Either get a group to go through it slowly with you, or encourage people to put mission text up on the Wiki (City of...'s wiki does this very well (paragonwiki.com)).

As far as time gated events goes, I've just realized that there's going to be a much larger issue if they add too many more of these events. As the amount of time-gated events grows, the number of times any particular event is available will decrease, because there are just too many other things to rotate through. This problem can only get worse.