Lt. Commander
# 11
04-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceaddict View Post
It still remains the easiest, most efficient method for achieving your goal.
And it is completely useless when the missions do not appear.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-21-2012, 09:55 AM
and for those of us who don't want to use it, is, useless.

The fact is, a 7/7 mission should be one of the highest priority missions around. If I'm understanding it right, you wouldn't see it if you didn't qualify so it "should" move to the next mission and if you did, it would be ready and waiting. Its a 15 minute single shot mission. I've been waiting for a very long time for it, way to long.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I had to wait till 4 patches ago untill the renown chains even started appearing to me...

It's random... be patient.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafari_Ken View Post
Just my 'druthers but I would rather complete the chain first, and then get the additional colonization assignments - if that contributes to your weighing your options.
I will echo this. I've noticed getting the repeatables before I've completely the main assignment chain, which makes no sense to me. And it's not just the Colony chain.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.S.Krieger
I've noticed getting the repeatables before I've completely the main assignment chain, which makes no sense to me.
Almost all chain assignments will immediately unlock a near-identical repeatable version. "Transport Settlers" unlocks "Transport Additional Settlers," for example.

In the Colonization chains specifically, there are a number of additional repeatables that unlock at each step, and they do usually make sense. One where I'm pretty sure of the link is "Establish First-In Colony" unlocks "Reestablish Contact with Colony," since, y'know, there's now a colony there to maintain contact with. This one probably also unlocks "Emergency Supplies to Colony" and "Suppress Raids on Colony."

I do agree with the general sentiment that having the actual chain assignments "crowded out" by these repeatables is not an optimum situation.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-22-2012, 03:38 PM
The examples I'm talking about are the repeatables for the chain assignment, not the optional, tangential side assignments.

I've seen:
"Negotiate Additional Delivery of Rare Commodities" before I was ever done with the final Fabricate step for the first one.

I'm seeing:
"Follow Up on Reported Sightings of Additional Jem'Hadar Warships" and I haven't completed that chain yet.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.S.Krieger
The examples I'm talking about are the repeatables for the chain assignment, not the optional, tangential side assignments.

I've seen:
"Negotiate Additional Delivery of Rare Commodities" before I was ever done with the final Fabricate step for the first one.

I'm seeing:
"Follow Up on Reported Sightings of Additional Jem'Hadar Warships" and I haven't completed that chain yet.
The problem, if I have interpreted Heretic's comment accurately, is that the sheer volume of tangential side assignments is crowding out the chain assignments. This actually makes perfect sense, since we want to have the early assignments commonly available. As we advance, more tangential missions become available and start to compete with the chain assignments.

I have to hand it to Heretic and the boys - it is an efficient way to increase the rarity of a mission, by increasing the volume of competition because you don't burden the RNG with extra "weighting" code, and the increase in rarity is a naturally occurring phenomenon. Increase competition, decrease odds. Pretty cool.

Still, the fact remains that during the 6 or so hours a night that I play (which can sometimes translate into as many as 3 different assignment cycles) the frequency of the 7/7 assignments *in sector space* is extremely rare. Since last Thursday's patch that frequency has increased, and we usually have one and sometimes 2 7/7 assignments available in sector each cycle.

That is certainly better than before, but I still believe that there is room to tweak it further. I would suggest taking a one each of the tangential missions opened by levels 5 and 6 and changing them to 6 and 7, respectively. It isn't a major change, but I believe it would be felt.

And it certainly would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafari_Ken View Post
The problem, if I have interpreted Heretic's comment accurately, is that the sheer volume of tangential side assignments is crowding out the chain assignments. This actually makes perfect sense, since we want to have the early assignments commonly available. As we advance, more tangential missions become available and start to compete with the chain assignments.
It does. I realized after I started reading his comments this morning that something in the back of my mind was making me think this was a possibility. At one point, before I started even looking at the Doff spreadsheet, I would end up taking the filler repeatable assignments operating under the assumption that perhaps that one I wanted would be available if it wasn't otherwise crowded out. I stopped doing this after using the spreadsheet because it was just simply more efficient than running around and loading up on assignments I didn't need on the off chance that the one I wanted was available.

Now, I'm working on the final sets of commendation ranks I'm missing and were otherwise harder to level up (recruiting, colonial, and I think one other that was a pain in the posterior). But, still, not having to spam fill my duty assignment roster with things I didn't want to get the renown would be a LOT better overall.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
It does. I realized after I started reading his comments this morning that something in the back of my mind was making me think this was a possibility. At one point, before I started even looking at the Doff spreadsheet, I would end up taking the filler repeatable assignments operating under the assumption that perhaps that one I wanted would be available if it wasn't otherwise crowded out. I stopped doing this after using the spreadsheet because it was just simply more efficient than running around and loading up on assignments I didn't need on the off chance that the one I wanted was available.
The way the system works is it checks the sector for how many of which types of assignments should appear, randomly determines these. Then, when you bring up your list it hides any you do not qualify for. Taking an assignment does not open a spot.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
The way the system works is it checks the sector for how many of which types of assignments should appear, randomly determines these. Then, when you bring up your list it hides any you do not qualify for. Taking an assignment does not open a spot.
Indeed. The spreadsheet, unfortunately, is still more useful as it cuts down unnecessary and annoying travel time that ultimately does little more than waste time most of the time. Therein lies, perhaps, the ultimate concern. Filler stuff is available a lot more than renown by a massive amount.

To give you an idea, it took 3 weeks before I even saw Hromi 7/7 on one of my VAs (from 6/7). That's with me checking it every time I was on and the sector updates were happening. While I was on vacation for a week, I checked even more frequently and still nothing. That's a bit too rare for a 'common' or 'uncommon' rarity assignment. (This is mirroring the 9/10 Jem'hadar chain step as well which has been stuck for over a month without progress.)

It seems the rarity doesn't match the availability - and it isn't consistent across factions. Very rare assignments, for example, show up a great deal more frequently on my KDF toons than my Fed ones. Something seems a bit off.