Lt. Commander
# 21
04-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
Indeed. The spreadsheet, unfortunately, is still more useful as it cuts down unnecessary and annoying travel time that ultimately does little more than waste time most of the time.

It seems the rarity doesn't match the availability - and it isn't consistent across factions. Very rare assignments, for example, show up a great deal more frequently on my KDF toons than my Fed ones. Something seems a bit off.
Just want to chime in and say this. I quit Eve because I didn't want to have to use a spreadsheet in my GAME. so this comment bothers the heck out of me, when we need a spreadsheet to figure it out, it may need to be tweaked.

and I agree with the rarity, it isn't matching up, I'm getting more rare missions than common ones in some of the chains, yet the ones I need are crowded out by the repeatable "rare" missions that i see EVERY time i'm in the cluster.

For the record I FINALY got the 7/7. and like I said before I still think it should be a VERY high priority mission when its Available, so that you get it done and move on. having to wait for days and weeks for it, actually made my game play less enjoyable and drove me out of the game. I got so frustrated with it I stopped hunting and started doing other games.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
*snip* Taking an assignment does not open a spot.
I don't think anyone was under the impression that it did Really glad you gave us this info.

Now that we understand how the system works, the remaining question of the thread is:

Is it accurate (as empirical evidence suggests) to say that Renowns appear more often Bridge side than Sector side and if so, is that by design?

Thanks for your answers.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafari_Ken View Post
Is it accurate (as empirical evidence suggests) to say that Renowns appear more often Bridge side than Sector side and if so, is that by design?
There is zero difference in the probability of any assignment happening in the sector list versus on a particular bridge.

However, the sector changes every four hours, whereas a bridge changes every 20h, and everyone has a separate chance to see it on their own ship.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Kyuui, the spread sheet is not necessary to enjoy or complete the duty officer system. If anything, it takes some of the fun out of it.

But the nature of the personality type of people that would play a Star Trek MMO it was inevitable that some kind of efficiency enhancing data based tool would be developed.

Think of it as the doff system's skill planner.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
Just want to chime in and say this. I quit Eve because I didn't want to have to use a spreadsheet in my GAME. so this comment bothers the heck out of me, when we need a spreadsheet to figure it out, it may need to be tweaked.
I'm of two minds about the user community coming up with documentation to document a process that is seemingly (or might actually be) random. On the one hand, it says a lot of good things for Zerobang and everyone who contributes to this documentation. Creativity, ingenuity, and cooperation are all things that come to mind. On the other hand, it says the system is either too complex, too random, or not working consistently if the user community has to come up with said documentation.

I can understand the system needing to be complex. I can also see that there is a point where diminishing returns are reached in so far as return on investment is concerned both from a development and an end-user standpoint.

Quote:
and I agree with the rarity, it isn't matching up, I'm getting more rare missions than common ones in some of the chains, yet the ones I need are crowded out by the repeatable "rare" missions that i see EVERY time i'm in the cluster.
I'm seeing this as well. Hromi is the bane of my existence on all of my Fed toons. It is almost never up. RN has been the least problematic (except for the fact it took 6 runs in a row on one toon before I finally got a crit {with identical odds of about 32% chance to crit} on the Support Colonization efforts mission).

Quote:
For the record I FINALY got the 7/7. and like I said before I still think it should be a VERY high priority mission when its Available, so that you get it done and move on. having to wait for days and weeks for it, actually made my game play less enjoyable and drove me out of the game. I got so frustrated with it I stopped hunting and started doing other games.
Yeah, perhaps there's something to be said for too many {mini} games of chance within a game. I don't mind a mission taking a week or so to find. I do, however, mind when it takes almost or over a month and still nothing. It sounds like others share this concern as well.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Kyuui, the spread sheet is not necessary to enjoy or complete the duty officer system. If anything, it takes some of the fun out of it.
I can't agree. I went for 3 months without using said spreadsheet even once. I knew of its existence but didn't so much as give it the time of day. This wasn't a slam on the owners or folks who develop it. It was, in fact, because my belief was as yours.

Until after doing the same patrol over... and over... and over... and over... and over at regular intervals and resets for 3 months before it no longer was fun and instead a chore.

It might take the fun out of it for you, that's fair. But, to be honest, I don't find running in circles for months with nothing to show for my efforts to be fun. At all.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKathy
I can't agree. I went for 3 months without using said spreadsheet even once. I knew of its existence but didn't so much as give it the time of day. This wasn't a slam on the owners or folks who develop it. It was, in fact, because my belief was as yours.

Until after doing the same patrol over... and over... and over... and over... and over at regular intervals and resets for 3 months before it no longer was fun and instead a chore.

It might take the fun out of it for you, that's fair. But, to be honest, I don't find running in circles for months with nothing to show for my efforts to be fun. At all.
"Fun" was the wrong choice of words. I am sorry to have prompted you to comment on that term.

The concept I think I would have preferred to convey is imbued with "chance," "anticipation," and "reward."

And though I consider what I said to be a valid point of view, it is not my point of view. I am a strong supporter of the spread sheet - I use it, I do rounds to check sectors with multiple toons, and I am an editor. I also enjoy the community that has built up around it - it is by far the best group of people I have ever met in this game.

I can state without any hesitation that my return to STO after 2 years hiatus would not have lasted nearly this long without the Doff system AND the people in the Doffjobs channel.

But neither the spread sheet nor the channel are necessary to have a meaningful doffing experience.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
The reason it appears this way is that sector has ONE chance to see the mission every 4 hours, vs. the HUNDREDS of chances bridges have to see it.

EACH bridge actually has a smaller chance to see it (since bridges reset on 20h rotation and sector rolled 5 times in the same timeframe), but the sheer number of bridges blows away that small consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Heretic, it seems like a lot of hoop-jumping to get one "common" mission that already requires 6 previous missions to obtain. Certainly, there should be merits to the social aspect of DOffing, when visiting bridges of other players.

However, if I have to visit a bridge, take the turbolift to Engineering, visit the contact who may or may not have the mission... and wash, rinse & repeat every time the mission doesn't show up (when it very well should)... doesn't that take away from the enjoyment of the system and turn it into a big hassle?

At this point, with the flaw (IMO) in the system that crowds out a common mission from showing up, it might as well be Very Rare, because that's how often it's showing up in many star clusters while more menial missions crowd it out :/ I've already had to visit the star cluster several times and complete several other missions at this point to NOT get the final mission, after all.

Edit: Perhaps my post was unecessary

Tribble May 1st Patch Notes:

Quote:
  • Increased the frequency of Colonial Renown assignments showing up.
I really hope so! These should be going to Holodeck tomorrow AFAIK.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
So far I haven't had a problem with the final Renown mission showing up. My problem is getting Blue instead of Purple the first time around. I'm 0 for 3. Which means I get the Blue DOff, which is all well and good, but then have to hunt for the repeat 'Support Colonization Efforts' to get the Purple. :/