Lt. Commander
# 1 Refugee - Question for Heretic
04-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Heretic.

I finally got around to start liking the Duty Officer system, so I've been spending some time finishing up the colonial chains (down to 4 left)....

Thing is... of cause I am fishing for all the repeatable missions I can, once I am finished with each chain, and the refugees I keep getting keep me wondering this simple question... and that is all that it is:

Why exactly do they count towards the 100 DuOff's, rather than civilian passengers? Obviously they are useless on the ship, as they can't be assigned to real missions, and from a purely logical aspect, a refugee would not be a member of my crew.

I am not looking for you to change it, I am simply looking to understand the "why".
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Klingon refugees used to count as passengers, until that was changed in a patch around a month ago (it wasn't mentioned in the release notes). I would think that refugees are a lot like colonists - temporary passengers that you are simply transporting to a new home. I'd also like to understand the reasoning behind this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Unless they plan to make the Passenger section considerably larger I prefer it how it is. I've got close to 30 refugees in my roster (another 20 or so in my mail for storage atm) so if they changed it I would have several that would disappear (maybe they would go to overflow, but seeing as you can't put them in inventory I doubt it). 20 seems plenty for just colonists, but adding refugees I don't know what it would need to go up to.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Shouldn't refuges get stuck in the cargo hold a-la-TNG Irish lot??

No need to waste precious quarters on them! :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar_99 View Post
Unless they plan to make the Passenger section considerably larger I prefer it how it is. I've got close to 30 refugees in my roster (another 20 or so in my mail for storage atm) so if they changed it I would have several that would disappear (maybe they would go to overflow, but seeing as you can't put them in inventory I doubt it). 20 seems plenty for just colonists, but adding refugees I don't know what it would need to go up to.
As I said: Not looking for changes... Only the "why".
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Refugees actually can be slotted on a number of assignments; some are for any Civilian, which they count for, and some that are Refugee specifically. The latter are most frequent on the Federation side, however, so Refugees on the KDF are not as generically useful for assignments.

Continuing to add new assignments to use Refugees and Prisoners on is something I have been working on as I can find the time.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaanzir View Post
Shouldn't refuges get stuck in the cargo hold a-la-TNG Irish lot??

No need to waste precious quarters on them! :p
I think of those "special guests" from that episode more as colonists and less as refugees. However, I also think that it would make more sense for Refugees to be counted as "passengers" rather than a part of the regular reserve crew.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Refugees actually can be slotted on a number of assignments; some are for any Civilian, which they count for, and some that are Refugee specifically. The latter are most frequent on the Federation side, however, so Refugees on the KDF are not as generically useful for assignments.

Continuing to add new assignments to use Refugees and Prisoners on is something I have been working on as I can find the time.
Yea, but since a refugee technically dosen't serve aboard your ship, I feel confused by how they actually add to my roster.

Oh well... Have my answer... Thanks.