Lt. Commander
# 11
04-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
They are pixels to me in STO.

..................but when I play TOR, my companions are the closest thing to 'real' for me.
I can believe that; I've heard that that game does a better job at rounding out "companions". Hopefully STO will get to that point as well.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minababe
LOL, my Science Officer Ubuzy is a "charger" as well, drives me crazy! She's like an animal. With her, I'm always like, "Could you just not... No, DON'T!!!! STOPPPPP!!!! Damn you, Ubuzy!!" (Because she'd always be the first to go down and then I would have to rescue her.)

But lately I've been having to eat my words, because now that I'm doing the Borg missions, she's the one that's kicking *** (one of the last to go down) and I'm the one needing to be rescued.
My first officer, Zowsdad, is a huge 6'4 Betazoid and he leaps at everyone, he gets pretty good air
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjhunter
I wish they were a little more in personality.The game seems to encourage swapping them out often.Like baseball cards.I kept my Andorian TAC for oddly sentimental reasons.It was the first ofificer I was given to command.I did alot of missions with her, and when a chance at a green or blue quality replacement came..I couldnt bring myself to trade up.Shes great on ground, and hits her targets in space.I mean crew loyality, and comradery are Trek , I would like to see some episodes based on certain Boffs we choose.Or a bridge crew morale slide like a Bioware RPG.Episodes like"Captain..I have this problem back home.."Ferengi opperations officer looks away.Ashamed to ask your help.The alien bridge officer who feels underapreaciated, or homesick untill you get them that special gift that makes them your friend for life.But for now,It seems the Devs are working at more ship board interactions. Yes, I do have moments in the game where my Boffs seem perfectly animate for a situation.
I like that idea. BOFFs could be expanded upon by having you select a "personality" for them in the tailor interface, and they could have characterization dialogue based upon their career path, race, gender, and personality type. Not that every mission would have specialized dialogue mind you, but there would be some here and there. Brash/aggressive characters could talk about kicking enemy @$$, timid characters would be more cautious, "logical" characters could have the overly-precise fancy-vocabulary analysis like Data or Spock, etc.

Also, like you said, having some side missions based on your BOFFs would be nice. A good fraction of the various series' episodes centered around the characters and their issues rather than the overall adventures of the ship and captain. We should be able to have "episodes" like "Amok Time" or "Remember Me" (TNG--the one where Crusher gets trapped in the warp-bubble universe based on her feelings of being alone), or whatever--though if they are based off of a player's own BOFFs, then the officer should only have to conform to the absolutely-necessary aspects (e.g. a mission appropriate to any Tactical Female, or to any Scientific Andorian, or to any Timid Engineer, etc.), in order to make it viable to as many players' crews as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiClari View Post
I like that idea. BOFFs could be expanded upon by having you select a "personality" for them in the tailor interface, and they could have characterization dialogue based upon their career path, race, gender, and personality type. Not that every mission would have specialized dialogue mind you, but there would be some here and there. Brash/aggressive characters could talk about kicking enemy @$$, timid characters would be more cautious, "logical" characters could have the overly-precise fancy-vocabulary analysis like Data or Spock, etc.

Also, like you said, having some side missions based on your BOFFs would be nice. A good fraction of the various series' episodes centered around the characters and their issues rather than the overall adventures of the ship and captain. We should be able to have "episodes" like "Amok Time" or "Remember Me" (TNG--the one where Crusher gets trapped in the warp-bubble universe based on her feelings of being alone), or whatever--though if they are based off of a player's own BOFFs, then the officer should only have to conform to the absolutely-necessary aspects (e.g. a mission appropriate to any Tactical Female, or to any Scientific Andorian, or to any Timid Engineer, etc.), in order to make it viable to as many players' crews as possible.
I am on board with that concept. I think that would make for some great content.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
I am on board with that concept. I think that would make for some great content.
Me, too! I like the idea of having missions centered around Boffs. Ugh, I forget the name of the one here, but remember the one where, after you rescued the guy from the arena/ Colisseum, you then had to help him out by finding shelter and other things? I think that would be a cool type of mission, where one of your Boffs suddenly needs rescue or is trapped.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Well, I am a bit attracted to my brown-skinned, vaguely Indian-looking scientist First Officer; granted, that has a bit to do with the fact I customized her, and I'm a bit disappointed that my captain can't actually date and/or marry her (all he can do is blow kisser to her), like unlike the player and his companions in TOR.

Of course, the companions in TOR are established characters, while the BOffs don't have any set personality...
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
I kept my Andorian TAC for oddly sentimental reasons.It was the first ofificer I was given to command.
I remind myself that mine is a hopeless drunk whenever I try to turn the ship to one direction and it goes off into the other. Or when the ship starts swaying as it goes across sector space like it does from time to time. Or when I'm doing a colonization doff mission and the 3 recommends have nothing but red while the good ones I should be using are left in the roster. But she's trying. She's been attending the shipboard AA meetings, her work ethic is good and the rest of the bridge bunnies support her. Except for maybe Sima, our other Tac bridge officer. I see the looks they give each other.

It has nothing to do with that crew leave on Risa that we don't talk about. And I'm sure no pictures exist.

edit: I've been meaning to do up a personal history of each of my bridge bunnies and stick it up on my user page over at stowiki. Dr. Darom, our Klingon medical officer who is condemned to death 99 times over for creating a tribble that likes Klingons who we saved from the bloody savagery of the Festival of the Blue Balls (aka The academy event) . Six of Nine (Yes, that's the name she had when I got her) who showed up in a mislabeled crate of DS9 uniforms. Commander Israi who graduated first in her class but wound up with us anyway after that paper work error. *sigh* One of these days....
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoagonistes
Awww, she's very sweet! Maybe we could start a new "post a picture of your favorite Boff" thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapparatus View Post
I remind myself that mine is a hopeless drunk whenever I try to turn the ship to one direction and it goes off into the other. Or when the ship starts swaying as it goes across sector space like it does from time to time. Or when I'm doing a colonization doff mission and the 3 recommends have nothing but red while the good ones I should be using are left in the roster. But she's trying. She's been attending the shipboard AA meetings, her work ethic is good and the rest of the bridge bunnies support her. Except for maybe Sima, our other Tac bridge officer. I see the looks they give each other.
Oh, dear!

Funny you mentioned about "crew cameraderie." That's something I never really considered, yet it's always been an important part of any ST series. (Bones and Spock not liking each other, everyone not liking Tom Paris at first). Hmmm... There's another intriguing possibility in terms of Boff missions-- settling disputes?
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minababe
I can believe that; I've heard that that game does a better job at rounding out "companions". Hopefully STO will get to that point as well.
*cough*

Lt. Commander
# 20
04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Rounding out companions here seems to mostly involve the bust size slider

As to marrying your science officer
change her name to yours
Get her some better clothes
and bingo