Lt. Commander
I have just started a new toon, a Tac captain this time, and for the fun of it, I have decided to immediately decomission the Light Cruiser he usually gets and replace it with a Runabout. Playing on Elite, I will level up until Lt Comm, where I get a real ship. I have made it through several of the Klingon mission now, and have noticed one thing: Those AI's are much better than those found later in the game!

They are redistributing shields, I have this "Hostage Ship" in Reserarcher Rescue that intelligently uses Eject Warp Plasma and Evasive Maneuvers (along with THY, if I am not mistaken)... it's awesome.

Can we have more of that AI in endgame? Please? ^^
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2012, 06:28 AM
The AI is really the same. THey are just using powers that are useful against a ship that has little to no powers to speak of.

But that alone would be a big improvement - give NPCs actually useful abilities. Don't waste their few powers on nonsense powers like Emergency Power to Engines. If an NPC only gets 3-4 powers, those powers must be useful, not fluffy powers players only take when they have everything else covered.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Well, I did not see them using Tactical Team, yet they redistributed their shields...

But yes, if the current AI is actually just "Autofire on all abilities whenever they are ready", then those abilities must be selected more carefully.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Well, I did not see them using Tactical Team, yet they redistributed their shields...

But yes, if the current AI is actually just "Autofire on all abilities whenever they are ready", then those abilities must be selected more carefully.
Some enemies, mostly Cruisers (or was it Battleships?) have something that seems to resemble "Distribute Shield Power" and use it occassionally. (It seems different from the player version in so far as it always leads to a perfectly evenly distributed shield. Players have to activate the power multiple times to get that far)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
wow a runabout? that's pretty awesome
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Nah, not that awesome. I had to call in a buddy from my fleet in his Oddyssey to help me out on two space bosses. Besides, a runabout has the same forward firing power as a light cruiser (which is a bit strange by itself, but anyway...).

I have reached Lt Com. in the meantime and am now using a cruiser, and it seems as if the AI is getting dumber with each mission. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Some enemies, mostly Cruisers (or was it Battleships?) have something that seems to resemble "Distribute Shield Power" and use it occassionally. (It seems different from the player version in so far as it always leads to a perfectly evenly distributed shield. Players have to activate the power multiple times to get that far)
I did not observe "perfectly evenly distributed shields", but a pretty normal Redistribute Shields with some asymmetry in the shields afterwards, just as one would expect.

Man, I wish they would give this power to all NPC ships. It just makes so much sense.