Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
well today the cure is totaly muffed up did 3 runs so far all failed this is how

we started and moved to the probs and started killing them then team on to the war bird ( hitting stupid amounts 3 time i got hit 200k+) but anyway we killed it moved to the next set of probs (at this point reread the start 3 times)

now we at the cubes with no probs hit the 1st cube pop there ment to get 3 ships spawn at the 2 cubes yes (no we end up having 6 ships spawn from all 3 cubes WTF) any by some god knows magic we killed them move cube pop it OMFG WTF 6 ships(negh'var's) from each cube station ???? WTF going on well all i can say is we died no hope in hell we can kill 18 war birds(negh'var's) hitting bs and one shot wounders
this is the 1st time i happend to me and when i told my fleet one fleet menber thats dose cure said it happend to him few times now
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Omega View Post
If you understood programming, you'd know that a different object with a different skin is a separate instantiation of an object. While it is true that such an object could share the same base code (i.e. call a borg cube but use the Negh'var skin) it is also just as possible that they streamlined the code to reuse the same method to create the object with varying parameters. For example:
Call CreateShip(skin, base damage multiplier, base defense, base speed)....and whatever parameters could be called. So in the code they would have to use this method two times to call both a borg neghvar and a borg cube and perhaps only 1 of them was changed.

Call CreateShip(borgcube.skin, 5, 5, 2)

Call CreateShip(neghvar.skin, 10, 10, 5)

So you can see why a borg cube could have been fixed while the neghvar remained untouched. It is easy to miss another line of code somewhere, but this will still pass QA because they both still work even though one of them is still stronger than the other.
I think in that case it's more likely they just copy & pasted the values of the ships in their database somewhere. I don't believe ship values are "hardcoded", but they are instead something stored in a database.

We see the same thing with PC ships, like Klingon vessels suddenly having a Transwarp leading to Earth Space Dock rather than Q'onos.

Anyway, once we get to buggy behavior, we have to consider several possibliities on where the error is coming from - and it could be there is also an error in the log.
Lt. Commander
# 23 damage calculation
04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
No, my point is that he THINKS his hull resist is that high... it's possible that occasionally wierd values get used instead of the proper one, etc.
Actual resists are calculated from the damage values.
Borg Negh'Var Warship deals 72694 (166385) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Torpedo
166385 damage from torp
72694 damage actually taken

72694 / 166385 = 43.6%

I have been one shot from full health by the Bird of Prey in the Cure since that one shot nerf patch. My resists are similar to the above.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-27-2012, 01:06 AM
this happens because npcs are the opposite of player ships. they have 1 beam, 1 torp, and maybe a cannon or a mine thrown in. instead of having up to 8 relatively low damage weapons, they have 2 extreamly high damage weapons that can easily 1 shot you, especially from borg or critical hits. trimming damage here and there is NEVER going to fix the 1 shot problem. halving the damage and doubling the number of weapons, or cutting the damage by a third and tripling the number of weapons to something like a player ship has will put a stop to that. but that would require cryptic to actually cure the general npc problem instead of fruitlessly toying with the symptoms.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-30-2012, 11:09 PM
No offense in my words. But it seems Gozer and Cryptic studio really don't care about. The big deal is how to make the game harder. As lazy dev, they choose the easily but the worst solution. One-hit-kill.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
More fun with Negh'var:

[Combat (Other)] Borg Negh'Var Warship's officer Heavy Plasma Torpedo deals 118665 (151504) Kinetic Damage to Borg Negh'Var Warship with Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III.

[Combat (Self)] Borg Negh'Var Warship's officer Heavy Plasma Torpedo deals 41529 (152684) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III.
[Combat (Self)] Borg Negh'Var Warship's officer Heavy Plasma Torpedo deals 1400 (2672) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't know if a dev will respond, but I'm curious why Negh'var NPCs have Torpedo Heavy III in the first place.

They are, obviously, capable of one-shotting players with this ability and while NPCs never play by the rules - player Negh'var Battleships can not actually take Heavy III.

Why tone their damage down, but allow them a way to buff their already hugely powerful torpedos?