Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I think there would be more people playing the KDF if it had as much content as the Feds, but I dont think it would be anywhere near half the playerbase. At most I think a full KDF faction would only have 30-35% of the playerbase.
i'd say more than that. 37-42 guarantee. Not because klingons are cool but because that side has a more star trek feel IMHO
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Starting to think the Foundry community should get together and make our own KDF PvE mission series where we all collaborate and make the best missions we are able with the tools we have.
if cryptic would agree to this and make the series "STO Canon", sure.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-22-2012, 05:39 PM
We need to look at this a different way.

Pretend that you have just been hired to work for Cryptic as a content designer. You could have come from another company or you could be completely new to the industry but with a passion for Star Trek. You walk into your office and your are told what your first task is.

What it won't be is "Build a KDF mission series." It'll more than likely be "Go into 'The Minefield" and correct any typos." In fact, the progression of content being designed would likely be the following:
  1. Fix Typos.
  2. Fix bugs in existing missions.
  3. Build a daily event with an existing map.
  4. Work with an existing content guy on a new mission.
  5. Build a mission.

You want to them to learn the system before they jump right in.

I am not saying that is what is happening. But it makes sense to me (with what inside info I know).
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
We need to look at this a different way.

Pretend that you have just been hired to work for Cryptic as a content designer. You could have come from another company or you could be completely new to the industry but with a passion for Star Trek. You walk into your office and your are told what your first task is.

What it won't be is "Build a KDF mission series." It'll more than likely be "Go into 'The Minefield" and correct any typos." In fact, the progression of content being designed would likely be the following:
  1. Fix Typos.
  2. Fix bugs in existing missions.
  3. Build a daily event with an existing map.
  4. Work with an existing content guy on a new mission.
  5. Build a mission.

You want to them to learn the system before they jump right in.

I am not saying that is what is happening. But it makes sense to me (with what inside info I know).
"Alpha" was done by the new guy.

In general, I think they (and you and not as bad as they are) are overthinking mission creation.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Starting to think the Foundry community should get together and make our own KDF PvE mission series where we all collaborate and make the best missions we are able with the tools we have.
The problem is, Foundry missions dont give you anywhere near the amount of xp as official missions, and people want to be able to level at a steady pace.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The problem is, Foundry missions dont give you anywhere near the amount of xp as official missions, and people want to be able to level at a steady pace.
Can I toss something out there?

Why do they even bother gating XP anymore?

People get a level a mission. A bit more at low levels, a bit less at high levels. Cryptic has made a design choice that the game begins at endgame and that they want everyone there... and slowed down endgame progression instead.

So with that in mind, why bother continuing to lock XP on Foundry missions?

They could have Foundry missions award 52 bajillion XP a piece and what would happen, exactly?

People would level fast, as they do now, and would still be slowed down on endgame content because XP is irrelevant there.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Can I toss something out there?

Why do they even bother gating XP anymore?

People get a level a mission. A bit more at low levels, a bit less at high levels. Cryptic has made a design choice that the game begins at endgame and that they want everyone there... and slowed down endgame progression instead.

So with that in mind, why bother continuing to lock XP on Foundry missions?

They could have Foundry missions award 52 bajillion XP a piece and what would happen, exactly?

People would level fast, as they do now, and would still be slowed down on endgame content because XP is irrelevant there.
You have a valid point. If only that were enough to actually change something.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
"Alpha" was done by the new guy.

In general, I think they (and you and not as bad as they are) are overthinking mission creation.
I'm just throwing out my thought on the matter. Everyone wants to take this doom and gloom view at the game when I'm merely pointing out another, plausible alternative.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I'm just throwing out my thought on the matter. Everyone wants to take this doom and gloom view at the game when I'm merely pointing out another, plausible alternative.
I don't think anyone is going for pitchforks and torches. We're just getting carried away with how much we agree.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
Hello everyone. I don't know if anyone heard the last episode of Podcast UGC, but we explored our distaste with the announcement that Klingon PVE Story content would no longer be invested in because Cryptic has decided that the around 18% player base of the Klingon Faction is all that can be expected from it, and for their to be more investment in the faction, there needs to be more players.

On the podcast, I disagreed with this, arguing that this is in fact a catch 22: If they're going to make more Klingon content, they need more Klingon players they say. BUT, to get more Klingon players, they need more Klingon content!

That being the case, we're nonetheless seeing an increased focus on these events, like the recent Vault Shuttle Event that was released. Cryptic Studios believes that these forms of repeatable content are clearly far more worth their content team's time and effort than Klingon PVE Story missions, else they wouldn't have cancelled Klingon Story PVE expansions.

What we at Podcast UGC would like to know is: do you feel the same way? Have you played KDF faction and events like the Vault Shuttle Mission and the Borg Invasion of Defera? What do you get more enjoyment out of? How often do you attempt or bother to play scheduled event content? What are your opinions of scheduled event content?

We want a discussion to be had so we can accurately assess the engaged community's opinion of Cryptic's design direction, so we can discuss it on our show. Thanks everyone!
My opinion: they are making every excuse to:

A. Not tell a story
B. Provide events that require less dev work and more PR to make "the community" feel involved.

Prediction: If Cryptic hired ONE dedicated KDF Foudry author to focus on adding good stories to the KDF at a slow pace, we'd get more development of the KDF in a year then we would with Cryptic.

They have simply given up on trying to make a two faction game. They have given up, and now they blame the community for their own inability to complete this game, even after 2 years.

They threw in the towel.