Lt. Commander
Hello Star Trek Online community,

over the time I noticed that many more people take advantage of using 50 Characters to farm Cryptic points or farm enough EC to buy anything they want. For me I find it a little discouraging because we do missions in order to gain dilithium, to be able to buy something out of the Exchange with earned EC through selling stuff in the exchange. This is just my opinion, but it aggravates me a lot seeing how just a friend of mine logs out the whole time and back in, just to do the Investigate Officer Reports about 50 times which would equal 72,000 Dilithium a DAY. In addition, I find it interesting how they gain so many duty officers just by doing the recruitment assignments in the DOFF system.

I want to hear other player opinions about this situation if its really useful to do this and spend efforts doing that and actually gain a huge advantage of everyone else, or to call it exploitation of using the system to transfer everything over to one character.

Really interested in hearing other opinions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
If someone's making 72k Dil a day from Investigate Officer Reports then either he has an absolutely stupid amount of time on his hands, or is using exploitable Foundry missions that take under a minute to complete. I'm not talking about things like The Nagus Dailies where you actually have to do something and it takes you 5-10 miuntes, those are fine. I'm talking about "go to an NPC or point in a social map and press F to complete the mission" type of exploitable. Those missions should be, and I think are, pulled.

Aside from that, if someone has 50 characters (Do you actually know someone who has that many, were you indulging in hyperbole?) and logs in and out of them ad infintum, and sets up DOff missions or burns through 3 exploit Foundry missions, then we're still talking at least a few minutes per character, when you account for logging out of one, into another, and setting up the DOff run or going to the map where the exploit mission is.

Multiplied by 10 characters and its the guts of an hour of just logging in and out to make about 14k-15k dil (cos that's all you're really going to make on a few minutes per character). Your example of 50 characters would be four to five hours. And that's four hours doing the same thing, over and over, and not really playing the game.

If people are that sad, and have that much time on their hands then first off, I don't care that they have better stuff, loads of EC and loads of dilithium on their character becasue they have no life. And secondly, chances are they'd just grind out SB24 or something else like that for purple drops 100 times a day if limited to one character. They wouldn't have the dilithium, but they'd still be hoovering up stupid amounts of loot and EC.

Maybe Cryptic could limit dilithium refinement per account as well as per character (a high limit that a "normal" player would never get near though) to cut it down. But to be honest, it only bothers me if a handful of people are able to unbalance the game economy by doing stuff like that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2012, 03:36 PM
You could buy 72000 dilithium for about $5.

I wouldn't quit my day job to do what you described.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Cancer View Post
If someone's making 72k Dil a day from Investigate Officer Reports then either he has an absolutely stupid amount of time on his hands, or is using exploitable Foundry missions that take under a minute to complete. I'm not talking about things like The Nagus Dailies where you actually have to do something and it takes you 5-10 miuntes, those are fine. I'm talking about "go to an NPC or point in a social map and press F to complete the mission" type of exploitable. Those missions should be, and I think are, pulled.
He is doing the "1-Minute" missions. He just goes to the terminal on ESD and does the quickly missions

Quote:
Do you actually know someone who has that many, were you indulging in hyperbole?
I do and I encounter him every day. So he is basically the main reason that upsets me because he just can have everything.

Quote:
Multiplied by 10 characters and its the guts of an hour of just logging in and out to make about 14k-15k dil (cos that's all you're really going to make on a few minutes per character). Your example of 50 characters would be four to five hours. And that's four hours doing the same thing, over and over, and not really playing the game.
That is what he wants to do. He doesn't want to fly around like everyone does and get it quicker. He basically got the dilithium and bought himself the character slots unlocks through the C-Store. He doesn't care about the missions content that comes out. He puts stuff into the exchange, gets the money, gets ACCx3 weapons, and does PVP. I have never seen him doing the PVE missions.

Quote:
If people are that sad, and have that much time on their hands then first off, I don't care that they have better stuff, loads of EC and loads of dilithium on their character becasue they have no life. And secondly, chances are they'd just grind out SB24 or something else like that for purple drops 100 times a day if limited to one character. They wouldn't have the dilithium, but they'd still be hoovering up stupid amounts of loot and EC.
I personally care cause some people can be discouraged by it, like me. Why would I want to spend my time actually fighting doing STFs, going into Ker'rat, doing fleet actions if he can does everything in a few minutes.

Quote:
Maybe Cryptic could limit dilithium refinement per account as well as per character (a high limit that a "normal" player would never get near though) to cut it down. But to be honest, it only bothers me if a handful of people are able to unbalance the game economy by doing stuff like that.
I believe that Cryptic could do something about it. Why do we need 50!!! characters? What for? Some people don't want to level over and over and over again. That makes no sense. They might do it after a few big updates which introduced a lot of new content like I did with my engineer, but otherwise it wouldn't make sense.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneCabal View Post
He is doing the "1-Minute" missions. He just goes to the terminal on ESD and does the quickly missions
Well those missions should be removed from the game by Cryptic, imo. I think they do eventually remove them if reported, but I'm not sure. If you know which ones he's playing, flag 'em and see what happens. Getting rid of those would make what he's doing a lot more time consuming and ultimately not worthwhile.

Quote:
I personally care cause some people can be discouraged by it, like me. Why would I want to spend my time actually fighting doing STFs, going into Ker'rat, doing fleet actions if he can does everything in a few minutes.
I get where you're coming from in so far as he's able to have all the best stuff without playing the game properly being a bit of a cop out.

That said however, I do STFs because I want to do them, not because I want gear and loot. Gear and loot is nice, but considering I have a Mk XI MACO set, I am actually doing them more for the enjoyment rather than for the tiny possiblities of all my Mk XII pieces dropping at this stage. I'd get no enjoyment out of what he's doing, and neither would the majority of the player base, imo. So it doesn't really bother me. Unless you're PvPing against him (and PvP is more than a matter of gear), it really shouldn't be anything that directly effects anyone. People probably buy up a load of CPoints for 50 quid and convert it to dilithium for the same effect.

As for 50 characters, I'm not sure what use that many slots is, either. And you do perhaps have a point that no-one could possibly have a legit use for that many characters, unless they abandon each character but don't delete it whenever they reach lvl. 50 and complete the storyline mission. I have 5 currently, and I've only played 3 of them in the last 3 weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Wow, sounds like some jealousy has settled in... If your 'friend' wants to farm dilithium, what does it matter to you? Doesn't affect you in any way and he's playing how he likes within the permitted structure of the game. Why would Cryptic care that he isn't playing the game in story mode when he's spending money (50 char slots isn't free). My advice... Get over it and play your game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheopisIV View Post
Wow, sounds like some jealousy has settled in... If your 'friend' wants to farm dilithium, what does it matter to you? Doesn't affect you in any way and he's playing how he likes within the permitted structure of the game. Why would Cryptic care that he isn't playing the game in story mode when he's spending money (50 char slots isn't free). My advice... Get over it and play your game.
No, I am not jealous. I just find it ridiculous that someone can have 50 chars. That would be the same having multi accounts and using them to gain a benefit from everyone else. I think Cryptic should really decreases (as in from 50 to lower) the limit. I find 50 unnecessary.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I play with a friend and we made all the best items for our ships, in only 2 weeks of play. By just buying dilithium with our C points. That's almost like multiple accounts. And we do several missions over and over, to sell items. Is this bad too? I really don't see an issue here. If he just loves getting max items within the games limitations. No problem there. But if he's cheating with a farming map. That's a different story. 50 characters is crazy though. I didn't even think you could of had that many. Why would a game even allow that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Quote:
...I find 50 unnecessary.
A year ago, there was a guy on the forums who had 27 fully leveled toons (no telling what he's got by now). To each his own.

Some people think it unfair that others buy game content with real cash. Others resent that some players have 18 hours a day to play. I've seen players who do nothing but craft and farm the exchange for profit. I say just enjoy your game.

If your "friend" is exploiting a certain mission, that might warrant looking into (the mission). Otherwise, I wouldn't expect Cryptic to refund people for slots that they have paid for nor expect characters to be deleted.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
I play with a friend and we made all the best items for our ships, in only 2 weeks of play. By just buying dilithium with our C points. That's almost like multiple accounts. And we do several missions over and over, to sell items. Is this bad too? I really don't see an issue here. If he just loves getting max items within the games limitations. No problem there. But if he's cheating with a farming map. That's a different story. 50 characters is crazy though. I didn't even think you could of had that many. Why would a game even allow that.
If you do it in a way that is totally fine then of course it wouldn't be a problem. Missions doing over and over and over to sell items is also good. I do the same thing, but the difference you, me, and my friend is that you and I are spending time to get those items, to be able to sell items. You didn't see my point I try to tell in my first post.

My friend is doing the resettle colonists, so he has 5x50 colonists which equals 250 colonists to use for all one account, or character. He is doing the 1-Minute foundry quests for Investigate Officer Reports which equals 72,000 Dilithium DAILY! He created fleets with his friends and kicked them all out (with their permission) to use them on his own, so he has basically Fleet Banks and personal Banks for his deposits. I could go on the list, but for users who spend time getting something it's a kick in the butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdup View Post
A year ago, there was a guy on the forums who had 27 fully leveled toons (no telling what he's got by now). To each his own.
I personally believe that is perfectly fine because he leveled them all! My friend doesn't level them at all. He brings them up to the level to do the Investigate Officer Reports and that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdup View Post
Some people think it unfair that others buy game content with real cash. Others resent that some players have 18 hours a day to play. I've seen players who do nothing but craft and farm the exchange for profit. I say just enjoy your game.
How can you enjoy the game like this with what I mentioned what my friend does? It sounds more like gold-farming.