Lt. Commander
# 41 Once Again
09-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_N_Tearscreamer
The ship itself is really beautiful.

However, I'm getting worried as of now. The more screenshots they show us the more asteroids there are. This is really disturbing. There are no screenshots where the background isn't a colorful pallete of some kind of nebula and without asteroids. Is our space gonna look like a place of bunch of asteroids and colorful background? While this may be interesting to some, but it is certainly not a good idea. It would be a very monotonous space with lack of significant realism.
You read my mind. I was thinking the shot should have been titled "A Variation of Asteroids and Space Gas"
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-19-2009, 07:05 AM
The Norway and Steamrunner are both said to be in the same configuration as the Akira, and both of those ships I like better than the configuration's namesake Keeping my fingers crossed we will see one of those soon.

Quote:

However, I'm getting worried as of now. The more screenshots they show us the more asteroids there are. This is really disturbing. There are no screenshots where the background isn't a colorful pallete of some kind of nebula and without asteroids. Is our space gonna look like a place of bunch of asteroids and colorful background? While this may be interesting to some, but it is certainly not a good idea. It would be a very monotonous space with lack of significant realism.
My impression is that these "asteroids" in this particular screenshot are part of the planetary ring a la Geonosis in Star Wars.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Nice screeny. Like alot of people, the Akira has been growing on me. I loved it ever since I saw that pic from First Contact (U.S.S. Thunderchild engages the Borg).
But can we start seeing more variety in the shots? I like these, but there are way too many of them. I want to see pics of Klingon, Romulan, Gorn vessels, I want to see Gorn, I want to see strange new worlds.
Maybe we could set up a thing where we request the kind of thing we want to see, and then Cryptic picks one to show us? Anything, Rekhan?
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-19-2009, 09:05 AM
has anyone noticed how low-poly these ships are? I am 3D artist by trade, and know how many poly's are in the ship models, its not very many. I don't understand why they are so low resolution. I know they have to consider many ships on the screen at the same time, but so does CCP (makers of eve online) if not more so, and there ships are way higher poly count. For example, you can easily see the polygons on the sides of the saucer, it's not very smooth at all.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Quote:

I think it's good that they have lots of stuff in the back. Like you said, it would be monotonous if it wasn't. Space is not an empty starfield.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadabra
has anyone noticed how low-poly these ships are? I am 3D artist by trade, and know how many poly's are in the ship models, its not very many. I don't understand why they are so low resolution. I know they have to consider many ships on the screen at the same time, but so does CCP (makers of eve online) if not more so, and there ships are way higher poly count. For example, you can easily see the polygons on the sides of the saucer, it's not very smooth at all.
I respect the fact that you're a 3D artist, but I think it's good enough for me. Nobody said this would be perfect. some of the stuff IS a problem (a few years ago there was one of a Miranda zooming away from an asteroid. The trail of the engine had corners=awful) but it's pretty good. And graphics ain't everything. ********* is the most popular online MMO out there (Guinness World Records) and it has lousy graphics.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadabra
Also, bear in mind that this game is still in development. In my previous stint as beta-tester (Lord of the Rings Online) I thought the graphics were just... meh... but then I realized that the devs were still working on high-rez shading and rendering and hadn't rolled those features into the test servers. No doubt it's the same here.

Personally I think this image looks pretty good... not perfect by any means, but pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Nice shot.
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Quote:

Some people just need to find something to complain about no matter what.
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
sexy, also very intresting background
Closed Thread