Lt. Commander
# 1 Proto Type Tech Drops
04-23-2012, 07:49 AM
This past weekend starting Friday night I did nothing but infected ground elite. As soon as it came off cool down I was teaming up for another run. I did not do any others STFs because I wanted to increase my chances of getting the Proto Type PSG Tech. Completed 3 IGE runs Friday night, 10 on Saturday, and 8 on Sunday. Completed the optional about 90% of the time. Friends are getting the proto type PSG tech drops and I thought to myself ďIíll get it soon at least by the end of the weekend.

I have completed every STF Accolade there is the only ones I am missing are the MACO Commando, MACO Elite Commander, Omega Force Operative, and Omega Force Shadow Operative. I have the mark XII Weapons and Armors for both MACO and Omega Sets so the only thing I need is the PSG tech from Infected Ground Elite.

At first it wasnít making me mad, because I keep on saying Iíll get it and didn't worry about it.

But I have having been trying hard to get this PSG Tech for about a month now and running 21 IGE this past weekend, it has given me a p'd off head twitch (Kidding but Iím getting close.)

I love STO, love playing it whenever I can. Not just for the game play, but for the interaction with others that love the Star Trek World as much as I do.

I will not be RAGE leaving STO because I canít get my gear, but I could see a few members leave because of it.

The Elite Mark XII gear, when I saw someone wearing it I would say to myself ďThere goes someone that knows what they are doing.Ē, but now days I say ďThere goes someone luckier then me.Ē

I know you want people to grind the STFs as much as possible and you donít want the Proto Type Tech to drop too much. But come on I have completed infected ground elite about 100 time +/- in the last month and I am get nothing for it except Encrypted Data Chips, Borg Salvage, and PSG Rare Tech and no Proto type PSG Tech drops.

With experience comes reward, ah no, with luck comes reward.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Completely agree. The proto tech drop is nothing but luck. Im in the same situation where ive got 3 characters each needing the weapon to finish complete MACO sets. All I do is log one toon, do cge, log another toon do cge then rinse and repeat with the 3rd. There is only so much of this iu can do. Im not gonna let the game beat me tho, but gozer said the rates had been increased but im not seeing it, the sooner season 6 comes with an alternative method for MK xii maco gear the better. This grindfest is nothing but stupid.

Oh well here goes another CGE ...............
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
The strange thing is that rolls seem to be consistently bad or consistently mediocre over a session. Like the classic example of RANDOM() when it caches the seed.

Along with all the known bugs I also wonder if we're seeing bugged drones. I ran an IGE this morning with folks I know to be good. We were getting one shotted by regular tac drones. We were party wiped in two places repeatedly. I know these folks and we were playing well - we rezzed each other, healed each other, and continually healed our own injuries.

At the end of it the best loot dropped was a single generic purple prototype to the team leader. Something no one who runs elite ground on a regular basis would really need. About as insulting as the blue named borg tech.

Sigh.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Tbh its a design flaw that blue proto tech should be in normals and purple proto tech in elites, really dont know what gozer was thinking with common borg tech, no need for it. Take out the mk x accolades and just have the mk XI and mk XII or make the mk x accolade use blue proto tech and get rid of the greens. I remember the old STFs when you did elite you got purple drops and purple loot. Some of the loot in elites is just pure c**p !!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Agreed. I mean, it is bound. Perhaps his thought was for landing party to be outfitted as well.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of trade-in system for the MK XII. Maybe 300 generic purple prototype. They drop so rarely it wouldn't be much worse than the current system. I realize the ultimate goal is the XII are supposed to be near legendary but...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
but they should be obtainable for all, having end game gear based on pure luck is rubbish. By all means make people work for it but at least give them a guarenteed means to do so !
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Harnaman
but they should be obtainable for all, having end game gear based on pure luck is rubbish. By all means make people work for it but at least give them a guarenteed means to do so !
Agreed. The tech drops should be random drops, but at least let users be able to still purchase the proto type requisitions with Borg Salvage (15) or Encrypted Data Chips (100).

I completed 100 IGE runs in the past month and in those 100 runs, I believe someone on the team got the PSG proto type tech about 3 maybe 4 times in that 100 runs. Thats a 3-4% drop rate, so after running 100 STFs users have a 3-4% chance of getting the proto type PSG tech. That is extremely low drop rate.

Just an idea, How about Cryptic creates a Tech exchange. People post their tech (Armor, Weapon, or PSG) up on this Tech exchange. Player "A" has an extra Weapon Tech and will exchange for a Armor tech. Player "B" has an extra Armor Tech and needs the Weapon Tech.

It would basically be like the exchange that is already in STO, but the currency is tech. You can only trade one tech drop item for another tech drop of the same quality and quantity.

If you wanted you could put a Dilithium tax on the tech exchange.
  • 1,000 DIL to post a Tech and 1,000 + Tech request in return. Cryptic gets the 2,000 Dilithium tax

The only problem I see with this, is all the tech is bond on pickup. We don't want them to become unbound, but still be able to trade them thru this new Tech Exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Completed 4 more IGEs runs tonight, got the optional on all four and no Proto Type PSG tech drops, but I did get a Rare PSG Tech.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-23-2012, 10:09 PM
"slight" increase...hah
0.0000000000000000000000001 is still a slight increase.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-23-2012, 10:12 PM
It can be very frustrating. I created a new Space toon and ran through a ground STF to get some EDCs for engines. I found myself getting two Tech Drops within the first 10 runs. I was very astonished. Turns out many of my fleet mates experienced the same thing. New toons seem to get better drops.
The frustration was that I needed the piece on another toon.

Why not make the drops more likely for the team, when they complete the optional with more time remaining on the clock? It would reflect the skill to rewards benefit. The XII sets would then reflect skill not luck, more accurately.

Or why not make PvP Queue wins count towards a chance bonus for the next STF run?