Lt. Commander
Massively's STO Columnist Terilynn Shull recently visited Cryptic Studios to talk to the team. In this week's Captain's Log entry, she writes about her interview with Lead Writer Christine Thompson.

Link to the column.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-23-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm curious; is the Captain's Log column going to catch up on all the news and community reactions(such as the new lock box) that have transpired in the time between the beginning of these "field trip" articles and whenever they finally end?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Nice read, though I concur with Nagus.

Frankly, I think the whole "Front" system should be abolished and the missions all lumped into one storyline that goes in chronological order.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Nice read, though I concur with Nagus.

Frankly, I think the whole "Front" system should be abolished and the missions all lumped into one storyline that goes in chronological order.
A better system would be to have all the Fronts listed in column format, with the rows being a range that encompasses, say, 50 stardates. The Fronts would list the missions where they chronologically are, that way you can see where parallel missions take place, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Not to mention a lil over 2 years and still in the same year in the time line... time must not really fly by like they say...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2012, 09:29 PM
That was a real painful read. Its so disconcerting to see how much Cryptic constantly ties its own shoe laces together before starting a marathon. (Like not prioritizing species dialogue toggles from day one so your writer could craft a better story. Practically a copy/paste of the Rank lookup.)

I hope things improve in the future, but with such a small team and resources, its back to tying those shoe laces.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Christine, you have my respect for bouncing back from that conversation. I just can't imagine getting that email from CBS, "We have to talk."
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2012, 06:39 AM
So we have JJ to thank for pretty much killing the main story behind STO...lol great. Another reason to not like him / his work.

Quote:
In regard to SWTOR, she's particularly interested in how BioWare dealt with the story. She admits freely that SWTOR was able to do many things that she wishes Cryptic had been able to do in STO, but she was also quick to say there were also other things about the game she would have done differently.
Yeah, b/c BW had a working Story. And yes many things BW has done will be things that STO will never accoomplish.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2012, 07:19 AM
We need more Diversity in STO for the Romulan Arc. Viable Factions that are strong and well done keep MMOs open.

This was not a rushed Nemesis Movie Tie in with a Solo Campaign ;with On line multi-player co-op and pvp Dynaverse play.

Starfleet Command changed DEV TM and was put into the Armada engine eliminated hundreds of avid Star Fleet Command and Star Fleet Battles Factions fans to the few shown in the Movie
it almost Killed Trek Gaming . My long time fleet of avid gamers and their kids didn't want just to Be Fed Borg or Rom or an abridged Klingon on a revisionist Star Map. They wanted more not less and voted with their feet and pocket books. Then Legacy came out with serious Voice acting Budgets.. and DC Fontana.
But absolutely no Star Empire Conquest system or real galaxy map or Canon Founders of Federation Maps
containing more player control and interaction options for player toons of those Factions. As you have ideally a healthy reason beyond RP to invest in a certain Species .. Here's its very generic Empire Boarder Lands and Few Core Species Specific Story reactions from NPCs.. The Engine Limits C.T. to Vulcan Contacts acting like our Vulcan is Some Ouslander Tribble.. or our Gorn in the 2048 Dominion Start as some unaffiliated Corporal instead of a Peer of the Realm..

Sounds Colours great Story Arc every Generations Captain had a common mystery and goal..

STO launched with a good first two seasons of Episodic play on the Fed Side but only one writer and limitations on story arcs Caused by continuity issues perpetuated by writers in a series making simple mistakes in filler eps. STO should have been able to look at TOS a present day star map and place Wolf 359 and Sherman's planet K-7 in better relation to the constellations.
Staffing issues aside if you have planets provided with some nice integrity to Core Trek Values its now time to use them.

This wasn't supposed to be an ALt Trek MMO it was supposed to be in the Prime Universe.. Hobus event wasn't the Indonesian Tsunami here.. Romulus Remus Should still be here and the Gorn Home World should be on the Star MAp.. Like Ferengor and Betazoid.. Those weren't Paramount Lic IP only either.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2012, 07:54 AM
^ What SenshiBat said.

..which shows how serious this is...