Lt. Commander
# 1 New Star Trek Movie Set
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Found out a few days ago that a portion of the new Star Trek movie is being shot this week in Southern California. Tried to get in to get a few pictures of the set but they weren't letting anyone into the area that didn't work there, so I don't have anything to show for the trip (I live about 20 minutes away, so it's not a huge deal). Found out from one of the employees (this person who shall remain nameless wasn't even supposed to tell anyone about it) of the facility, who unfortunately doesn't really know anything about Star Trek so didn't get any good info. The employee did tell me it had something to do with Klingons, and the specific building they were using was possibly intended to be some sort of hospital. This employee did get a tour of the set, but did not have a camera at the time (more bad luck), but they'll be shooting most of this week so there's always a chance I can still get something.

I'm being purposefully vague to protect the identify of the employee who told me about this, I'll get a picture of the building (minus film crew and set) later and I think I can reveal the location after filming there is done.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Interesting.

Well wasn't it known that the Klingons will once more be the focus of the 2013 film? Too bad the Klingons got taken out of the first cancer movie..but meh. Those weren't really TOS-y at all.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Update
04-26-2012, 12:47 AM
So the information I received was incorrect. The building in question is apparently being used as part of Starfleet Academy or Starfleet Headquarters (probably the latter). What I was able to see from a distance was a large group of people in what looked like military dress uniform, which was later confirmed by someone else who got onto the set at a later time and informed me that the scene I saw them preparing for was a memorial service.

From what I understand from this other person who got on the set and talked with some of the actors, the script is being kept very tightly secret even from them, it's likely only the lead actors know the story at all.

I will post a few pictures of the set at a later date.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Good morning Shinobi Dragon. Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to breach Paramount Security and aquire additional intelligence on the filming of the new "Star Trek" motion picture. Approaching the set at some time after midnight, breach the fence with wire cutters, and secrete yourself in a discrete location until daytime. Aquisition of a Paramount uniform so as to blend in is advised, one can likely be obtained by overpowering a member of staff. Eavesdropping on intresting conversations and taking photographs of points of intrest will be facillitated by a modern mobile telephone device, I suggest the use of one with internet access to immiediately upload the data to some storage medium off site, such as the internet. Should you or any member of your team be captured, the Forum will dissavow any knowledge of your actions.

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2012, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
Good morning Shinobi Dragon. Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to breach Paramount Security and aquire additional intelligence on the filming of the new "Star Trek" motion picture. Approaching the set at some time after midnight, breach the fence with wire cutters, and secrete yourself in a discrete location until daytime. Aquisition of a Paramount uniform so as to blend in is advised, one can likely be obtained by overpowering [SELF_DESTRUCT]*BOOOOOOM*[SELF_DESTRUCT] a member of staff. Eavesdropping on intresting conversations and taking photographs of points of intrest will be facillitated by a modern mobile telephone device, I suggest the use of one with internet access to immiediately upload the data to some storage medium off site, such as the internet. Should you or any member of your team be captured, the Forum will dissavow any knowledge of your actions.

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.
What did he write there?
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Wow, I left this a lot longer than I intended. I realize this is kind of necroing the thread, but honestly it feels stupid to start a new one just so I can update the info.

The site of the filming I was not able to get access to was the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California. Specifically, they were apparently interested in what I believe is the visitor's center building. I'll try to dig out the one picture I have, unfortunately it's at a fair distance away but it's high quality enough to be able to see some of the uniforms reasonably well.

Given that they spent about a week there, I'd say it's fairly likely that it'll show up in the movie.

For now, here's a few shots of the building itself I've found online.
Front Side
Back Side - Filming seemed to be taking place only on the front side, for fairly obvious reasons, but it gives a bit of a better idea what the sides of the building look like.
Some more images including internal views, not sure if they actually used the building interior though.

One of the guards that turned me away tried to claim that the setup was for a mayo commercial. :p Pretty sure they wouldn't go through the trouble of having 20-30 people in something like military dress wear for something like that.