Lt. Commander
# 1 Earth Ships
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Ok I'm not the biggest star trek buff , But I had a question is there any Earth ships? Like the Vulcans are part of the federation but they have their own ships does Earth? If so does anyone have a pic of them?

This has always been on my mind from watching the shows and playing the games.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Starfleet = Earth Ships

Pretty much any ship you saw.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
It could just be that since Humanity is the dominant member of Starfleet, that it also follows that most of Starfleet's ships are based on Earth designs, seeing how there's a deffinite lineage between NX-01 Enterprise all the way though Enterprise 1701-E
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I thought that was the case. It just seamed odd that if starfleet ships are Earths main military in space why would they allow people that don't call earth their home captain them? Wouldn't that be the same as the UK letting an American captain one of their ships in the Royal Navy?

And I'm not trying to start any flame thing about races of starfleet captains, I'm just thinking about humanities role outside of starfleet.

And I do see the link between the NX-01 and current ships but I thought that may have just been the agreed apon design.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Yep, I also think the NX-01 was an Earth ship. After that, ships probably changed to incorporate designs and systems from other Federation members. The cargo ships like the one Travis' family own are probably Earth design (private sector).
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't doubt that elements of ship designs from other races wouldn't be incorporated into what evnetually becane Starfleet. Enterprise seemed to imply (or is it infer?) that Shields came from teh Andorians, Tractor Beams came from teh Vulcans, and Engines from Earth. IN the end, I would imagine their would be a meeting of the minds, as it were, to design the external look of the ships the way they are.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
There are plenty of humans on the show who pilot non-Starfleet ships (mainly cargo ships, transports, and research vessels) if that is what you are asking.

For instance, Seven of Nine's parents piloted the Raven into borg space.

Presumably, many civilian ships use Starfleet designs, as the Miranda class ship was in use by the federation as a cargo vessel during the TNG era.