Lt. Commander
# 101
05-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
What achievement? Is a random drop. It take no skill, nothing. You might do three ground STF and get the entire set while other have to do 100 of each of the stf to get one. Where the achievement in that?
Exactly this x1000...

For all Gozers insistence that these fancy Mk. 12 costume pieces would imply a player who was some kind of high-end uber MMOer... the reality is anyone with a full set simply got extremely lucky... and in all honesty could have contributed nothing to the team effort.

Making them random is a dumb way to keep players grinding the missions on the long shot that they may get lucky. Maybe if they focused on making better missions people would replay them because they were FUN TO PLAY... rather than tie some accolades and costume pieces to a specific STF and give them an insanely small chance of dropping...

And another thing... they really need to take the blue and green borg tech out of the elite missions. That just adds insult to injury when you finally DO get a piece of tech only to find out it's a blue one...
Lt. Commander
# 102
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I think the new "hotness" involves assimilated lockboxes
Lt. Commander
# 103
05-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael511 View Post
the shear AMOUNT of STF's that you run ... count for something....
Yes, there's already Accolades for running X number of STFs, how about make the 'best' costume a reward for running (successfully) X number of STFs? Like...
  • run 50 of each space STF and get a token for full XII space set.
  • run 50 of each ground STF and get a token for full XII ground set.

That way you've put in your time to get the sets instead of, theoretically, some noob running 3 elites and getting uber-lucky and getting all 3 prototype tech drops.
Lt. Commander
# 104
05-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
I'm not sure why you guys assume I'm some sort of maverick designer running around here making my own decisions...
Dude, we've seen you running around in a leather starfleet biker-esque jacket. (Thanks CptGecko).

I'm pretty convinced the call sign on your commbadge says "Maverick". :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
The one question I see that still has not been answered is why the insistence on random drops only.
I can only surmise that Leviathan is correct and that actual goal is to in fact keep as many of us running STFs for as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
A system wherein an item or set of items are rare and exclusive is possible without having to rely on them being dropped randomly. "Rare" and "by-chance drops" are independent of each other, and you can have an item that is rare in the game yet obtainable via means other than by-chance drops.

I just want to know the logic behind the by-chance thing, as it seems contrary to what the players want, whereas an "expensive purchase" option (that players DO want) does not seem contrary to the dev's intentions of the sets being rare and exclusive.
I agree with these points, but I don't think we will ever see a clear deterministic method.

We are, for the foreseeable future, always going to be stuck with a pure chance mechanic for loot acquisition.

I'm sure this keeps some of the younger set going, for myself it means now that my main character is basically done - I've run out of excuses to justify to myself why I should bother grinding these for my other 3 VAs.

So for me, it's having the opposite effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
Exactly this x1000...

For all Gozers insistence that these fancy Mk. 12 costume pieces would imply a player who was some kind of high-end uber MMOer...

I don't agree with the pure chance mechanic, no trade-ins available (prototech for prototech would be nice), single mission specific drops, non account bound endgame items - but let's not put words in the guy's mouth ok?

He never insisted that the MK 12 imply anything about how uber you are. He even goes as far to come right out and say that the MK XII pieces are only marginally better than MK XI in the podcast.

Quote:

2. I can tell you what the current plans are, which I have.

Will we be given details to at least give us a clearer goal with regards to eventually purchasing the current sets with EDCs?

Particularly with regards to cost, as EDCs are the currency used for nearly everything endgame.

It would be very helpful to know how many we should start striving for, instead of just running blind.
Lt. Commander
# 105
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Exactly this x1000...

For all Gozers insistence that these fancy Mk. 12 costume pieces would imply a player who was some kind of high-end uber MMOer... the reality is anyone with a full set simply got extremely lucky...
The laws of probability saw otherwise. The vast majority of the people who got the set would have received it by doing within one standard deviation of the average number of STFs required to get the set.

If the drop rate is 1%, it can be nearly guaranteed that 50% of the people who completed the set did more than 270 STFs to get it.
Lt. Commander
# 106
05-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I have updated my avatar to reflect my new-found power
Lt. Commander
# 107
05-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
A lot of funny Tom Cruise jokes come to mind
Lt. Commander
# 108
05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
I met Tom Cruise once. You sir, are no Tom Cruise.
Lt. Commander
# 109
05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
For all Gozers insistence that these fancy Mk. 12 costume pieces would imply a player who was some kind of high-end uber MMOer... the reality is anyone with a full set simply got extremely lucky... and in all honesty could have contributed nothing to the team effort.
I totally agree with you in principle here, but please point out where Gozer explicitly stated that the Mk XII costume is supposed to signify a high end, uber MMOer.

I am not sure you can definitively conclude that he intends the Mk XII gear to signify elite skill or ability, rather just that you run a lot of STFs. As such, it "makes sense" that the Mk XII drops are luck-only because they're not supposed to be preferentially given to those who are the most skilled.

However, I don't see why you can't also let people purchase them for a high price, and still have them drop by luck, and really change the nature of the reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Ultimatum
I can only surmise that Leviathan is correct and that actual goal is to in fact keep as many of us running STFs for as long as possible.
Then why doesn't he just come out and say it. That's all I'm really looking for. If he wants to run it this way then that's his perogative as the developer- but why the need to hide it, unless he is ashamed/dissatisfied with the way it works, or deliberately making it this way to harm the customers.
Lt. Commander
# 110
05-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
You have the ability to beat Val Kilmer at beach volleyball?