Lt. Commander
# 21
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
I have thought about the loot system as it is now and it simply does not make sense. First the stfs are meant to be hard and encourage team work, this is even more evident with the newly implemented timer re-spawn changes. The stfs by there very nature promote team work yet there is no reward for being a good team except for the optional which does not drop the mk xii protoype gear. A group could take 20 hours or 10 min but rewards will be the same for a team oriented mission this does not work.

It would seem the only reason why the random drops take place is to get people to play over and over again but even this logic is ill conceived as a majority of people will get burned out, some slowing down others quiting stfs altogether.

The best setup for STF loot would be to reward people who complete the optional, either the drop rate could increase or prototype gear could be added to the optional rewards or a combo of both. In addition all gear needs to be added to the STF store even if for absurd amounts say 200 edc which would be 300 runs for one full set and 1200 for all 4. This would keep the people who get burned out or ****ed off, going well if i play x times for the next months ill eventually get it. This would also seem to get with Cryptics hamster wheel model, If everyone playing your end game content 1200 times isnt repetitive enough i dont know what is.

The bottom line is 1200 rounds on this hamster wheel is long enough, Cryptic it is time to go make a new hamster wheel AKA CONTENT!
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
This is exactly what I said would be happening in the interview. When new cosmetic variants of the three sets are made available to me I will put the current ones in the store. The new ones would then be the only ones that you can only get from drops.

There will always be at least one set that is only available on Elite and only available as a drop. This will not change. As a player you will have a choice, play now and hope that you get your drops for the current high end set.

Or, Save up EDC's and wait for that set to show up on the STF store.
WHEN WILL THE NEXT STF COME OUT!?!?!?!?!?! AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
but the incredibly unlucky people can stil get their gear?
As one of the incredibly unlucky, I don't even try to get Mk XII tech drops. I've TWICE had to grind out 120 EDCs to get MY Mk XI gear. Thanks Cryptic for the low and horribly erratic drop rates.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
This is exactly what I said would be happening in the interview. When new cosmetic variants of the three sets are made available to me I will put the current ones in the store. The new ones would then be the only ones that you can only get from drops.

There will always be at least one set that is only available on Elite and only available as a drop. This will not change. As a player you will have a choice, play now and hope that you get your drops for the current high end set.

Goz, any idea on how much these Mk XII will cost us in EDC's? maybe a rough figure so we can have at least an idea of how much time we must invest in the STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:

may i suggest a different approach?

instead of adding *new* sets to make us run the same old 3 STF's again and again,
how about you make new STF's and THEN put in new gear into them.

to be fair, i love the puzzles and i love the teamplay... but i've got my first Mk XII set now, i've beaten your maps, they are no longer a challenge to me.

Also the visuals of those maps are from 2 year old RECYCLED maps and not exactly "Star Trek eyecandy"... rainy dump planets are not what i want to see on a daily basis -> now do an STF in Facility 4028 oooh shiny!

just saying.

and instead of what you said don't move the XII gear into the store.

add more accolades.

if you completed 50 STF runs, increase drop chance roll by x%
if you completed 1000 STF runs, increase drop chance roll by x%
if you completed all optional objectives, increase drop chance roll by x%
if you completed x amount of optional objectives, increase drop chance roll by x%
if you killed x amount of Elite Drones, , increase drop chance roll by x%

ACCOLADES dude!
increase drop chances by completing accolades,
the drop chance will increase naturally over time,
the more you play, the better you get, the better your drop chance gets, it's still not a guaranteed, it is still random, but it is much less likely to run hundreds without getting anything.

those accolades should be HARD to get and increase your chances.
also when dStahl has his account wide bank in place i wish that the STF drops are account bound, so i can run STFs with my shiny Maco XII gear character and collect more drops, more easily thx to accolades, for my 9 ALTS.

on a sidenote:
if you complete all the optional objectives in the STFs you get an accolade that unlocks a new visual option for the XII Sets.
I had that done LONG before i got my 3rd XII drop, yet i did not get any visual options for the XI set.
maybe unlock the belt, shoes and chest gear as option for the XI set? so players have some sort of progression and don't get slammed in the face with TWO sets once they got the final drop?
just an idea...

btw. did somebody say BRAGGING RIGHTS ?
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
how would that work ? :S The uniform is unlocked via getting all 3 peices or the optional accolades.

do you mean like when the level cap raises to 60 the XII set will go in the store for EDC and then if a XIII set exists it will become the new grinder ? :S
They aren't ready to raise the level cap and introduce Mk 13 Items yet.

I believe he means there will be a totally new Mk 12 Set along with New Costumes which can only be earned in Elite STFs. And the current Mk 12 Sets + Costumes will be made available to Normal STFs but for a much higher EDC price.

Which I'm fine with. I don't wish to plague anyone's Elite STF with my presence so making the current ones available to Normals is great.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Quote:
I did hear that part of the interview, but unfortunately it sounds like you dont really have any ETA on when that will happen. I know you said 3-4 months, but as you said it has already been approximately 3 months and you have no idea where the next set is. So while that sounds good in theory, until it actually starts happening the issue is not resolved.

That said, I have to ask why must there always be an exclusive random drop set? Why not have both the random drops *and* let that set be super expensive in the store at the same time? That allows people to get lucky drops and also allows the unlucky people to not have to wait on something which there is not even a current ETA on.
These things can't happen overnight have you any idea how big their to do list is?

It has no end. Which also means when they release content or make changes that people are not 100% happy with. They are already working on the next content before anyone gets in the forum and makes complaints. They can't just drop what they are doing.

It has to be discussed so their next move on issue does not just make it worse and it has to be added to their to do lists.

Players talk like 3 months is a long time. It's nothing in development or any business that caters for so many people. You should wait 6 months, maybe a year for any change you request. These guys will spend 20 years at their computers and it will feel like 5 years. They will wonder where the hell their lifes went, they should be respected.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
These things can't happen overnight have you any idea how big their to do list is?

It has no end. Which also means when they release content or make changes that people are not 100% happy with. They are already working on the next content before anyone gets in the forum and makes complaints. They can't just drop what they are doing.

It has to be discussed so their next move on issue does not just make it worse and it has to be added to their to do lists.

Players talk like 3 months is a long time. It's nothing in development or any business that caters for so many people. You should wait 6 months, maybe a year for any change you request. These guys will spend 20 years at their computers and it will feel like 5 years. They will wonder where the hell their lifes went, they should be respected.
None of that actually has anything to do with the point of my post that you quoted. Thanks for sharing though.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
I did hear that part of the interview, but unfortunately it sounds like you dont really have any ETA on when that will happen. I know you said 3-4 months, but as you said it has already been approximately 3 months and you have no idea where the next set is. So while that sounds good in theory, until it actually starts happening the issue is not resolved.

That said, I have to ask why must there always be an exclusive random drop set? Why not have both the random drops *and* let that set be super expensive in the store at the same time? That allows people to get lucky drops and also allows the unlucky people to not have to wait on something which there is not even a current ETA on.
There is no satisfactory answer to this question.

Gozer has been dodging this very question for 3 months. Watch him totally dodge it in his recent STOked interview (and watch Chris and Mav fail to ask this key followup as well), and watch him dodge it again here.

It's only because he has no answer other than perhaps "he wants it to be this way and he's the dev and you're not so suck it up and stop your whining because I don't care and that's that". Every time someone brings this up and he bothers to reply, it's always, always the "well when we put new shiny stuff in the loot system we'll cycle the old stuff down a notch" and never, ever addressing the root of the question, what is the fundamental difference between randomly dropped uber loot and uber loot that is available but very expensive? And why is it so critical for players to have to shoot for an undefined goal, when you can keep them around just as long by putting very expensive loot in the store.

And the only thing I can conclude from this is that there is no real answer except Gozer wants it to be that way, and since he's the dev and we're but the plebeian playerbase, we will take what we are offered and we will like it.

Or, the fact that leaving it as random drop-only hides the fact that you have to grind on order of 100-200 STFs per piece, whereas if they posted the equivalent pricing players would see that it costs 250-500 EDC per piece of Mk XII loot and just say screw it and not bother. Gozer dodges this question in his STOked interview too since he openly said he would not tell us the drop percentage for proto tech.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
this is the inherint problem that you have created Gozer,

you have set the standard that this paticular type of 'new hottness' is only avail by receiving 'prototype' borg drops...
yet there is ABSOLUTELY no skill required nor for that matter even the smallest glimmer to even play the mission you queued up into, to receive said drops...

there is by your own statements, nothing that we as players can do in the mission that will bolster our chances to receive said 'new hottness'....

I cringe every time I walk thru a spacedock, and dont even want to go to DS9, because I see 2-3 players STANDING around in Mk XII maco or omega costumes, and vomit just a little when i think that they possibly didnt even do anything to EARN the gear that is so coveted...

now before the flaming starts, I'm not saying that everyone who has said gear didnt 'earn' it...
what I AM SAYING is that you didnt 'do' anything other than get lucky on a 'roll o the die' to get that drop set...
by Gozers own admission, you can deal all the damage under the stars and rock the most kills in the mission, you still just got luckier than the guy who was AFK/ camping in the same mission..... or ... you were the guy AFK/ camping...

so in all honesty, until you base the proto drops on the abilities, skills, and the actual playing of said charector in the STF mission, you will constantly have this flaming war of hatred towards this system.
And this topic will never go away, it will never cease, and until it is reformated to expose those players that EARN the new hottness, not GET LUCKY, this will be an open wound of great pain.