Lt. Commander
# 1 STOked Interviews Gozer
04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
In this week's episode of STOked, Chris and crew sat down to talk with Content Designer Dan Griffis about STFs, PvP, and more.

Link to the interview.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I agree with his assessment of the Time-Gated Vault. VERY MUCH SO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323
I do as well, great job Chris expressing and representing the community's view of the Defra Invasion, the Vault Shuttle Event, and Utopia Planitia.

Here is a good case of where PWI needs to learn the difference between the Asian MMO market and the western MMO market. Now, it is fine if there is a "bonus" to the vault event that is scheduled like most other events, same for the Defra Ground Invasion. But to gate the content like that in such a content starved game...

I am remaining silver and each step Cryptic is convincing me not to resub to be part of their stable cash flow....
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Brandon, since this thread http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...27#post4179527 was already talking about the STOked interview, aren't you making a duplicate thread? :p /jk

But seriously, could you somehow merge the two to help consolidate the conversation is one place?

----
The show:

Liked the Old KDF Headquarters backdrop.

Gozer said that only a tiny percentage of player PvP, and most of them are Fed.
KDF is a "PvP" faction, but are "poorly" represtented in the percentages in PvP.
Could we say that the KDF, as a PvP faction, is NOT working as intended?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2012, 11:04 AM
If I'm understanding the comment at 26:48 correctly, there is never a proto tech drop in the STF optional loot bag. This really needs to be more widely publicized, with the amount of grief some players heap on people if the optional fails. Unless you're still missing the accolade for that STF, a failed optional is really not worth getting angry about.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vykorprime
If I'm understanding the comment at 26:48 correctly, there is never a proto tech drop in the STF optional loot bag. This really needs to be more widely publicized, with the amount of grief some players heap on people if the optional fails. Unless you're still missing the accolade for that STF, a failed optional is really not worth getting angry about.
You're understanding it correctly. Tech only drops in your individual bag, which is not effected by whether or not you pass the optional. Salvage can- and does- drop in the optional bag. If you pass the optional an optional bag drops with its own loot table rolls. Optional bags never roll from the loot table that tech is on.

Gozer has posted a thorough explanation at least twice. IMHO the problem is not with Cryptic getting the word out. The problem is that only a minority of players read the forums where the information is posted. I also think there is another problem, that you alluded too, that STOked didn't mention- accolade hunters that will either rage quit when the optional fails or rage in chat about how leet they are and what dumb noobs you are for failing the optional.

This is why I don't do pugs and why the "ignore" button is there.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
i know that it was a little vague... but...

i feel from the context of the conversation, that .. YES...
Gozer confirmed that only YOUR loot bag has the chance to 'roll' a prototype tech....

so with that said, the only reason to LEAVE an STF is if your just wanting to NOT have a random chance of getting the tech drop...

but i have to comment that, even tho he has now enlightened us to this fact, it still remains a 'lucky roll of the die'

this is just going to perpetuate the AFK/ not grouping/ doing nothing crowd/ etc... etc....

knowing that you dont have to do a single action in an STF, and you will still have the same 'ODDS' of getting the proto drop as those that worked their tails off ... well....

THATS JUST NOT RIGHT.........

I appriciate the concept of the 'roll of the die' I do, and that the Mk XII gear is mainly cosmetic... i get all that, I do...
BUT.....
when there is nothing requiring you to ACTUALLY play the STF, just be there.. and ROLL your DIE when its over.... there is no skill involved, and like you said about the timer.. there is no playing the game to its fullest, you just have to be present, and hey 'sorry you guys worked SOOOO hard' but i got my next tech drop.... thanks...

that is NOT right, or fair, or in any way promoting your game.....
with all that said, i guess i will start my saga of ELITE STF runs so that i can now have the latest 'NEW HOTNESS".......
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Shrvk
I do as well, great job Chris expressing and representing the community's view of the Defra Invasion, the Vault Shuttle Event, and Utopia Planitia.

Here is a good case of where PWI needs to learn the difference between the Asian MMO market and the western MMO market. Now, it is fine if there is a "bonus" to the vault event that is scheduled like most other events, same for the Defra Ground Invasion. But to gate the content like that in such a content starved game...

I am remaining silver and each step Cryptic is convincing me not to resub to be part of their stable cash flow....
^ Agree.

And you made a smart move there saving your cash.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323
Agree definitely.

And hearing Gozer is now in charge of PVP map development and I guess all things PVP is an interesting plus especially after hearing that there was no one in charge of that aspect of the game until now. Which explains alot.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2012, 11:51 AM
*SPOILERS FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T WATCHED YET*

I liked the idea of a "horde" mode. I'd like to see a ground version of this too. I'd love to see that as a 1-5 man event (1-5 so you can solo it or just play with a couple of friends)