Lt. Commander
# 21
04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I'm also very proud of the community for doing almost all of this without any of my knowledge. Although I'm a little worried about traffic stats, if startrek.com links, it makes me very, very proud that so much of the site is run independently by the community.

It's kind of amazing. I created this website and now I just suddenly realize: "Hey, there is a new podcast associated with this website." "Wow, there's going to be a featured episode by the site I created."

It's so awesome that the site is user generated. Thank you to Cerb, PF, and everyone else who makes that possible.
Yeah...sorry about that boss, guess you will know come the weekend
Lt. Commander
# 22 Thank You
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Thank you, Kirkfat, for providing all of us a wonderful place to gather, to learn, and to support the community that we we live in and love so much.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
If you mean the caps at the end of the post, its not a mission but simply a map I created just for the screencap purpose.

for note its a custom space map, with some background manipulation

planet class m 07
planet class d 04
planet class y 11

you can manipulate the background of the space from the 'root' of the map, give this a gander on what I mean
http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...s-of-rigel-iv/
Sorry, not what I meant. What mission is this thumbnail from? The part circled in red.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird_7
Sorry, not what I meant. What mission is this thumbnail from? The part circled in red.
ah thats all cerberusfilms on that one, but again its just a map created for illustration purposes and not from a playable mission...yet
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
One of the larger issues with this sadly is the fact that missions aren't 'modular' where you can pull them out of the foundry and plug them into the regular game. if there was a way to do it and allow the original author to modify them, that would be the best.
I think Brandon touched on this during the latest recording of Podcast UGC. In that it is a tough situation considering an author could then update the missions to include inappropriate material without notice.

Perhaps it would be better handled like a wiki entry where permission is required to make the change viewable to the public, and the option to revert exists.

However, I make my comments conscious of the fact that Cryptic, and STO's, resources are finite, and I feel that the clear cut adoption and integration into mission flow/random encounter is the best chance to fill out the game in ways the devs will never have the resources to do.

Ideally the time spent greenlighting submissions, perhaps in themselves chosen by plays/votes/whatever - so as to remove competition bias and to take advantage of the fact that Cryptic owns all created content, would be considered an investment in the future content of the game - overall.

Much akin to how long it takes for official missions to be made, I imagine more than one foundry mission could be approved in that time (or alongside if they can facilitate an increase in personnel to overview this) and modifications made were needed to the missions themselves before inclusion (again, this does not necessitate consent by the authors as per Terms of Use - thus simplifying the process).

My ideal sign of this would be to see post-season six that a better infrastructure has been developed to achieve this. Hopefully whatever is the result of the code-merge it will at least improve stability and handling by the devs of our creations, but ideally, it will mean that future updates will not be so far apart, and that real, tangible changes can be made on a continual basis from now on, instead of on a yearly basis etc.

I think that initiatives like this, and the work that starbase UGC and the wider community have been trying, are simply a - remarkable testament - to the passion that can really drive this utility to it's true potential - but we really need to look to the future more in terms of working according to a determined and realistic goal/strategy to bring foundry directly into the game (and to work towards it with each and every step) as opposed to taking inspiring, yet ultimately blind 'small steps' into the unknown to try and bring foundry more into the fold (which I feel this is - although thats not to say I don't wish it success).

I just feel we could do more if we were able to plan with the developers a solid future - but our hands are tied in many ways (not least because we can't deal with the core foundry team directly). So until we see what the code-merge brings, I remain vexed.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird_7
That map is actually going to be in my upcoming Klingon mission 'Star Crossed Daggers'. Been working on it off and on for nearly a year.
It's a story that sprouted from my "Duty, Honour and Sacrifice" Federation story arc.

I'm really glad people enjoyed the trailer :-D

And Kirkfat, it's simply brilliant all you did and continue to try and do for the community, without you, we wouldn't be here doing this
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.PFDennis
Thank you, Kirkfat, for providing all of us a wonderful place to gather, to learn, and to support the community that we we live in and love so much.
Hear, hear!
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent View Post
Correct. Foundry will absolutely never take off as true "content" in this redheaded stepchild role it's occupied since it launched.

Given that it's the whole point of the Foundry, it's been rendered quite pointless except as a curious toy for the truly bored. There are far more productive ways (err at least in game terms) to spend one's time in STO. It just doesn't matter where it counts.
Last time I checked plenty of people were complaining that MMO's as of late especially Cryptic-made ones were single-player instances with no feel of community or epic massive crowds. Then along comes this unique tool that allows people to bond together over creating their own content and telling their own stories, so much so that these people bond together OUTSIDE the game itself and create their own website, a chatroom and YouTube channels and still others complain the Foundry is futile???

Say what you will about Cryptic and their games but in this case, the Foundry proves to be a Community Builder and in MMO's that's always a Win and that's where it counts and to all who're involved, that matters a whole lot!
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Congratulations to StarbaseUGC and Cerberusfilms for having their STO Foundry Blog and Video featured on StarTrek.com! Check it out here: http://www.startrek.com/article/gues...ar-trek-online

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Congratulations to StarbaseUGC and Cerberusfilms for having their STO Foundry Blog and Video featured on StarTrek.com! Check it out here: http://www.startrek.com/article/gues...ar-trek-online

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Ah, was that the big promotion thingy you were talking about before?