Lt. Commander
# 61
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
I do not understand how that can be interpreted as "being insulted"?

I do not see anything that I wrote as "personal negative comments" direct towards anyone.
Your words:

Quote:
Call of Cthulhu is not designed for the neurotic type of personality that has to be in total control. A neurotic type of personality is a person who is someone filled with anxiety and fear. These folks have to have total control. The idea that someone else is going to take over their role and take them on an adventure scares the baa-gee-bees out of them.
You are implying the people who do not happen to like the way your mission is made are neurotic, which is a metal disorder. Again I ask that you please stop making these kinds of negative personal comments about the people critiquing your mission. If you want to say negative things about their words, thats fine. But saying negative things about them as people is not.
Lt. Commander
# 62
04-30-2012, 05:10 PM
If anyone would ACTUALLY LISTEN TO ME maybe this problem would be solved quite easily.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Your words:

You are implying the people who do not happen to like the way your mission is made are neurotic, which is a metal disorder. Again I ask that you please stop making these kinds of negative personal comments about the people critiquing your mission. If you want to say negative things about their words, thats fine. But saying negative things about them as people is not.
Designing a story for a extroverted trait person does not imply a person who does not like our story is a neurotic type of person.

And no they are not mental disorders, they are personality traits.

A mental disorder is a psychological condition that affects a persons life in a way that affects their life, their job, and any other aspects that they need to function on a daily basis. My statement does not an any way declare any one with a mental disorder.

O - openness
C - Conscienceness
E - Extrovert
A - Agreeableness
N - Neurotic

These are personality traits also known as the Big 5 or OCEAN,

You are misusing the term psychological disorder with personality traits in your analysis. Which is why you are misunderstanding what I am communicating in my statement.

When a story is designed, a writer needs to define the audience that the story is designed to be read by, viewed by, or played by.

We chose or choose to design our story to be used by the extroverted type.

That does not mean a neurotic person will not enjoy our story. It only means that in the entire population of neurotic people in the world and who play Star Trek Online, it is statistically likely they will not like our story.

That is not a negative directed comment, even though you want to interpret the statement that way. Everybody in the world that is a human being has a mixture of personality traits. That is a true statement.

People do activities that interest them. Interest is an emotion.

None of that has anything to do with people criticizing the story.

We have only stated that we designed the story for a extrovert personality type.

If a player decides for their own reasons they are neurotic then that is for them to decide. None of what I wrote in any way or manner can influence a person to either like our story or dislike our story. Also, none of that statement implies people who do not like our story is neurotic.

Only the individual player can decide for themselves what personality trait they want to influence their own behavior.

It is like Odysseus said "... there is no dishonor in pointing out that a dead man is dead."

Thank you

Again..I am calm and in a fantastic mood.
Lt. Commander
# 64
04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Designing a story for a extroverted trait person does not imply a person who does not like our story is a neurotic type of person.
Then why did you even bring up neurotic people?

Again, your words:

Quote:
Call of Cthulhu is not designed for the neurotic type of personality that has to be in total control. A neurotic type of personality is a person who is someone filled with anxiety and fear. These folks have to have total control. The idea that someone else is going to take over their role and take them on an adventure scares the baa-gee-bees out of them.
You did not even mention extrovets, only people who are neurotic. And your last sentence in the above quote about having your character disregarded by the story is the main complaint you have been getting about your mission. So again, why did you even bring up neurotic people(and then mention the main complaint you have received) except to imply that people who do not like your mission and are making that complaint are neurotic?

Quote:
And no they are not mental disorders, they are personality traits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
neurotic
adjective
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of neurosis.
noun
a neurotic person.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neurotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
neurosis
Also called psychoneurosis. a functional disorder in which feelings of anxiety, obsessional thoughts, compulsive acts, and physical complaints without objective evidence of disease, in various degrees and patterns, dominate the personality.
a relatively mild personality disorder typified by excessive anxiety or indecision and a degree of social or interpersonal maladjustment.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neurosis

You are free to believe whatever you like, but until you write your own dictionary then their definition > yours.

So again, I am going to kindly ask you to stop using these negative terms to lash out at the people who do not happen to enjoy the particular playstyle of your mission. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion of your mission, that is completely fine. But to start making negative comments about them and their personality is highly inappropriate.
Lt. Commander
# 65
04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Never mind. I'll just sit here, with the solution whilst you two bicker.
Lt. Commander
Quote:

Again, your words:

You did not even mention extrovets, only people who are neurotic. And your last sentence in the above quote about having your character disregarded by the story is the main complaint you have been getting about your mission. So again, why did you even bring up neurotic people(and then mention the main complaint you have received) except to imply that people who do not like your mission and are making that complaint are neurotic?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neurotic

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neurosis

You are free to believe whatever you like, but until you write your own dictionary then their definition > yours.

So again, I am going to kindly ask you to stop using these negative terms to lash out at the people who do not happen to enjoy the particular playstyle of your mission. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion of your mission, that is completely fine. But to start making negative comments about them and their personality is highly inappropriate.
You cannot use dictionary.com to define a psychological term that is a specific term used in the field of psychology. Dictionary.com is written for a general user and the terms are general.

A neurosis is a condition which is not the same as a neurotic personality type or personality trait. Neurosis is only applied to a biological condition that is derived by a neurological origin which is the field of neurology. A neurotic is a psychological term used by psychologist and psychiatrist. In psychology, dependent on the field of focus, there are specific terms used for specific phenomenon. Though they look the same and sound the same, they are two different descriptions in two completely different fields of study.

An example would be like if I said "you have a bad neuron" and "you are trying to say"oh that means that person is a neurotic type of person." No, what I said is that person has a bad brain cell.

Dictionary.com is not a valid source for terms in psychology.
Again, what I wrote is not a negative comment to anyone. You do not know how to apply proper terms to the context of the discussion. The terms have specific operational definitions, and dictionary.com and any other dictionary used for general diction is too broad for that. Operational definitions are specific to the phenomenon they describe.

Your using a general tool (dictionary.com) that has very broad definitions and using it to describe a neurological disorder and mixing it with a psychological trait or type. That is not allowed.

In psychology, describing a person who has a neurotic personality type only means they have a general baseline emotion or mood that is of a anxiety nature. Anxiety is the behavior....and fear is the psychological motivation or S^D factor. A + B + C....

Antecedents>Operant Behaviors>Consequences (reinforcement or punishment)

The neurotic personality describes the Antecedent condition that directs the behavior of the individual.

OR

We write a story that appeals to people who like to dress up and read lines out loud in a group of five people who do not care what role they are in will exhibit behavior that will most likely play our stories again and again.

The A factor or S^D is the joy they feel in play a story that suits there play style.
The B factor is the operant behavior of playing the story and liking it which motivates them to leave a good critique and a desire to play the story again and again.
The C factor is the positive reinforcement that cause the behavior to increase (play the story again).

That does not in any way describe a person with a dysfunctional brain area like the hypocampus region of the brain that cause a person to lose their ability to have short term memory and semantic memories.

You are the one who is misapplying the terms to support your argument in this discussion. Because you do not know or understand that neurosis and neurotic describe to different phenomenon.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 67
04-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
You cannot use dictionary.com to define a psychological term that is a specific term used in the field of psychology.
I can definitely understand you not liking being confronted with a source that contradicts what you believe, but as I said before until you write your own dictionary then their definition > yours.

Lt. Commander
Quote:
I can definitely understand you not liking being confronted with a source that contradicts what you believe, but as I said before until you write your own dictionary then their definition > yours.

The APA - American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association are the governing bodies. You need to provide a valid source for psychological terminology.

DSM-IV TR is a good place to start.

If you used that definition in a scholarly session, you would be laughed out of the room. You are going to discover one day just how far off base you are in you use of the term "neurosis" and "neurotic" are one day. Until you understand they describe two different things, you will continue to go on and on misinterpreting peoples remarks or statements on the forum here.

The term neurosis was dropped from the DSM-IV TR because it is to broad. However, in the Textbook Psychology on page 598 all the way down at the bottom it states "Neurosis refers to conditions in which some form of anxiety is a major characteristic."

Major characteristics are specific to a Axis I diagnosis in the DSM IV.

I would suggest you look up The Big 5 theory on Personality traits. You applying the term "neurosis" and "neurotic" wrong.

Because everyone is neurotic at some point in the day. When you experience anxiety in the day you are experiencing a neurotic moment. A classic example would be Eeyore on Winnie the Pooh.

But not everyone experiences a neurosis.
Lt. Commander
# 69
04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
The APA - American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association are the governing bodies. You need to provide a valid source for psychological terminology.

DSM-IV TR is a good place to start.

If you used that definition in a scholarly session, you would be laughed out of the room. You are going to discover one day just how far off base you are in you use of the term "neurosis" and "neurotic" are one day. Until you understand they describe to different things, you will continue to go on and on misinterpreting peoples remarks or statements on the forum here.

The term neurosis was dropped from the DSM-IV TR because it is to broad.
If you have a link to official information from those organizations that specifically supports what you are saying, feel free to post it. But until then the dictionary > your opinion. So again, I am going to kindly ask you to stop using these negative terms to lash out at the people who do not happen to enjoy the particular playstyle of your mission. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion of your mission, that is completely fine. But to start making negative comments about them and their personality is highly inappropriate.

Also, you did not answer my previous question so I will post it again:

Quote:

Again, your words:

Quote:
Lt. Commander
Quote:
If you have a link to official information from those organizations that specifically supports what you are saying, feel free to post it. But until then the dictionary > your opinion. So again, I am going to kindly ask you to stop using these negative terms to lash out at the people who do not happen to enjoy the particular playstyle of your mission. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion of your mission, that is completely fine. But to start making negative comments about them and their personality is highly inappropriate.

Also, you did not answer my previous question so I will post it again:

Again, your words:

DSM IV is a registered website, you have to be a student or a member of the APA society to axis the DSM IV...although the DSM V is already out.

I have a DSM IV here in my personal library because I study psychology and anthropology. Last time I went to the DSM IV website they wanted a fee..wait here is a good link..

http://allpsych.com/disorders/dsm.html