Lt. Commander
# 81
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Well what would you have hated more when playing the mission? Playing a alt character and participating in the story like a RPG in a MMO. Or being your character and feeling railroaded because your dialog options wont sound natural to the way you imagine your character?
Lt. Commander
# 82
05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
Well what would you have hated more when playing the mission? Playing a alt character and participating in the story like a RPG in a MMO. Or being your character and feeling railroaded because your dialog options wont sound natural to the way you imagine your character?
To be honest, the dialog options don't sound natural, period.
Lt. Commander
# 83 Not a fight...
05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Not a fight, it is a difference of opinion.

We are not going to sacrifice a good story because some players cannot make a leap into playing a predetermined character.

The point of the description and this post was to inform people who did not want to play that kind of story what Call of Cthulhu was about, so they do not waste their time playing it.

We consider that a courtesy.

For the players who can make that leap, we feel confident the entire story will be worthy of their playing time.

We set out to write a story for people who did want to this kind of story. So far the statistics support that we have been successful. The sample so far is 12 people played the story. Of the 12 people that played the ones who did not have a problem playing a predetermined character gave favorable reviews, and that is 8 people, and the players who did not care for that kind of story gave a unfavorable score, which is 4 people. SO if we infer that to the greater population of the game that is 66% like our story and 33 percent do not.

One encouraging thing that has come from this post is that of the four people who did not like the story, it was not the story they had issues with. It was only the issue of they could not be their character in the story.

So, based on real statistics the story is strong, and the type of player we created the story for did like the story.

So, one of two things will happen.
1. New people will play the story and either support what we do and agree with the positive posters
2. New people will play the story and not agree with the story we created with a negative vote.

H0 = people like the show
H1 =/ people do not agree.

So far 66 percent agree.
Lt. Commander
# 84 They don't sound natural...
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
To be honest, the dialog options don't sound natural, period.
They do not sound natural because you have not reached that part of the story yet. The first part was all exposition. That dialog is required for you to know for the remaining 34 chapters in the story. People who are there for the story understand that and will stick with it. People who are not there for the story will get impatient and leave.

What movie have you ever watched or book you have ever read that in the pointer scene or moment in the book that the dialog was natural?

It would be like you watching Lord of the Rings and walking out as soon as Gandolf caught Sam in the hedges trimming the hedges.

All you know is, Fredo has to do something important, but you do not know why it is important.

Kaliena is our Fredo.

You are just having issues with the idea your character does not fit into the role that the story calls for in the main character of the play. That role is pregnant Vulcan female age 42.
Lt. Commander
# 85
05-02-2012, 11:18 AM
After reading page after page of the author belligerently, condescendingly, and arrogantly arguing with nearly everyone who posted on this thread, my 300 member fleet, and I will be passing on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 86
05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph.B
After reading page after page of the author belligerently, condescendingly, and arrogantly arguing with nearly everyone who posted on this thread, my 300 member fleet, and I will be passing on this one.
The author of this Foundry mission has been put on the defense since posting her mission's availability here. Just read page one of this thread to see examples.

Frankly, I'm surprised the community has been this vocal about NOT playing a mission. Some people are going out of their way to berate and criticize when they could simply opt not to play it. (And compounded further by those passing judgment who haven't even played the mission.)

STO Foundry authors are going to approach mission development in unique and interesting ways. Some are storytellers, some want simple mission grinds, etc. Some authors will experiment with their game play, including role playing.

Noted STO Foundry author alimac30 posted his latest blog entry yesterday. While the topic is somewhat different, the concerns over the community are still valid.

Enough already.

Play the mission, then cast your rating/review in the feedback tool. Or don't play it.

I can't believe I find myself jumping into a fellow Foundry author's thread to defend them like this.
Lt. Commander
# 87
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Oddly, I think a lot of the ire is over the title of the mission. It's a bit audacious to many; even if it is true to the Lovecraft mythos, it's straight up borrowing the title of one of his stories, which I don't think bodes well with many. Not sure if that invalidates the story more than taking on the role of a different character. Not that I have an opinion either way, having not played the story in question (or any Foundry mission for that matter, to my discredit ).
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph.B
What happens if fleet member 251 likes our story and thinks that it is great?

Thank you?
Lt. Commander
# 89
05-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Quote:
4) Logic aside, you're assigning too many emotional traits to Vulcan characters when in actuality the only Vulcan character who should be displaying any emotion is Actually you're lead, because she is pregnant and we all know pregnancy increased biochemistry that heightens emotional responses. Even the most highly disciplined Vulcan mind would be susceptible to emotions. However, Vulcans use logic and discipline to suppress their emotions, so any other Vulcans expressing emotions other than under severe stress is inappropriate and seems to be something several people have tried to express.
That is a fair assessment, however it presumes that all Vulcans subscribe to the same philosophy. And we have seen examples of Vulcans in many episodes that do not.

In this story we see the mayor who is of the Surek type of Vulcan. A politician style who displays a proper style Vulcan. We see Dr. Siror, who leans towards the proper Vulcan model behavior, but because he is much older than the other Vulcans at the dinner, he is at a stage of his life where he is questioning those ideals.

Kaliena, who ran away from these teachings out of fear, starts off in the story where here biological nature is coming to terms with youthful arrogance.

She is Vulcan and Human. Also in this story the setting is about 400 years or so after Vulcans have been exposed to Humans.

In our story, we are exploring the idea that the culture of Vulcan is going to move closer to Humans on an Anthropological level.

When we get to the next stage with the Isle of R'lyeh and meet the primitive aborigines who are Vulcans.

We think there is allot of evidence in Star Trek right now that supports this idea.

Because this is a fictional story, we have the ability to explore that in a manner our producers like.

Even Mr. Spock and Surek as they grew older in character, started to move away from the strict stereotypical Vulcan.

Even Spock who tried to be the perfect Vulcan, he was shun by the other Vulcans. The other Vulcans were playful and very proud people. Spock's brother clearly did not follow tradition.

T'Pol's mother didn't subscribe to the strict Vulcan type as you prescribe that we must adhere to.

The truth is that we do not.

I had research some notes that DC Fontana wrote about in the portrayal of Vulcan romance and I am drawing heavily on the book Spock's World.

But on my show I am executive producer and I am the Goddess.
Lt. Commander
# 90 New Update...
05-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I took some time between studying for my final tonight to make some updates to Call of Cthulhu.
  • Mainly corrected or removed references to NPC officers that were bridge officer references. We just went ahead and put our own NPCs in to the story so people would not be confused. There seem to be some confusion from some players as to being Kaliena and seeing their bridge officers ruined their immersion into the story.
  • Made some corrections to typo's

Also we have publish the first 6 pages of the script for Call of Cthulhu part 2. We are currently up to page 8 on the script and are still constructing the sets.

But it allows our other producers to walk through the story on their own leisure and make suggestions. At the SF41, we write our stories in a team collaborative manner.