Lt. Commander
Hey Heretic, has anybody over there thought of using the Entertainer (and possibly the Chef & Bartender) DOFFs as ways of working new emotes into the game?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36
Hey Heretic, has anybody over there thought of using the Entertainer (and possibly the Chef & Bartender) DOFFs as ways of working new emotes into the game?
Sounds kind of tricky to me... tying available emotes to the presence of a specific DOFF... but I love the general idea!

Thing is, what kinds of emotes did you have in mind? I can't think of any ground emotes so perfectly necessary that it would be worth the effort.

On the other hand, I can very well imagine ship-based emotes being unlocked by slotting particular conn officers, for example. Can anyone say, "Barrel Roll!"
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Sounds kind of tricky to me... tying available emotes to the presence of a specific DOFF... but I love the general idea!

Thing is, what kinds of emotes did you have in mind? I can't think of any ground emotes so perfectly necessary that it would be worth the effort.

On the other hand, I can very well imagine ship-based emotes being unlocked by slotting particular conn officers, for example. Can anyone say, "Barrel Roll!"
I figure if they can tie an emote to a consumable item like the one from Night of the Comet, then they should be able to do so to a DOFF, though you may be right about the difficult. As to what specifically I was thinking of? Well last night I was hanging out at Drozana and lamenting the fact that there were no Drunken/Spastic dancing options and/or a pole dance. I mean yeah the pole dance thing could be borderline obscene if you're using a scantily clad orion female, but think about how hilarious it would be to see a big burly Klingon/Gorn or a Starfleet Tactical or Engineering officer kitted out in full gear and armor doing a pole dance with an invisible pole?

Basically just looking for fun/amusing emotes. Also, your Barrel Roll idea is awesome and I'd love to see it happen.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Interesting idea. I am not sure how something like this could be made to work, but I am all in favor of adding new functionality to civilians in particular.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Maybe possessing a holographic entertainer gives that captain a special "power" to summon a dancing girl?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Seductive dance emote!!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Interesting idea. I am not sure how something like this could be made to work, but I am all in favor of adding new functionality to civilians in particular.
Perhaps make advisors be able to do things like add a new contact onboard the ship to visit. Even if the contact is relatively benign or only affects things like... changing the coloring of the com panels or the carpet. Or, say one gives you the ability to put potted plants in your quarters.

These are only ideas, but I'm sure you could think of a few more. In essence, give a non-game changing feature to the civilians, but allows the player to further customize their environment on their ship. It wouldn't confer a PvP or PvE bonus so much as one that would be unique to each Captain's preferences.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Well, it cant be much different than Chefs making new things appear in the replicator based on which ones you have.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Whatever it takes to let us "Unlock" those locked up emotes that we have available right now, lets see it happen.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon304 View Post
Well, it cant be much different than Chefs making new things appear in the replicator based on which ones you have.
Yes, it could.

The theory is the same, true... but entirely different systems involved, it seems to me.

The replicator is a kind of store, and stores in STO do not seem to be all that complicated. Aside from injecting items based on DO's, stores are static and do not otherwise change dynamically AFAIK. If I go to Vendor X, he always has the same stuff available. So it's a fairly simple system to start with, with one enhancement linked to the DO system. Even then, Chef X always adds exactly the same items to the replicator based on his species and rarity (?). It's never random.

Whereas emotes are triggerable animations on a different menu with tie-ins to slash commands in chat. I have no idea how complicated that system is, but I do know that hooking up new animations is not trivial. One point in its' favor is that the game has the ability to disable emote animations that you haven't bought, so that's a flippy bit they might be able to play with. Also, emotes are also not random and they have the ability to add new ones, so that system is probably stable.

The question is whether or not they can risk something that might de-stabilize that. It could be possible to enter a state where the game loses its' mind when you try to activate it, if any bug in the code might make it unable to determine whether or not it's a valid action. Imagine freezing up in combat because you wanted to fire off a Barrel Roll emote. You don't monkey around with working animations if you can help it.

There are lots of different ways to skin a dead targ, but skinning a live sehlat isn't the same problem.