Lt. Commander
# 1 /loc help
05-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm building a city and I've already run into an issue with platforms covering the details. So, I need to rely heavily on the /loc command.

I will walk to a spot where I want to put a bench. Then I will type the /loc command, which sees to give me coordinates.

What is the math that I need to do with these coordinates to translate them into actual x, y, and z coordinates?

Can someone walk me through it with a calculator?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
X,Z divide by 3.28. Y with relative to 0 is tricky. First you need to determine the 0 point of the map. Once you have that, you need to subtract that first, then divide by 3.28.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
X,Z divide by 3.28. Y with relative to 0 is tricky. First you need to determine the 0 point of the map. Once you have that, you need to subtract that first, then divide by 3.28.
Thanks Pendra. I guess I'm building this map with a calculator.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Another question: Is there any math that I can do with the y and details? For example, the foundry gives me the height dimensions of a table in the object preview/description. But, it doesn't seem reliable at all. Like if a table is 4 high, I'll put a glass at 4.1. 5 minutes later, I've placed the glass on the table after making a dozen corrections to the y coordinates.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Lol, I don't think I've EVER placed an object on the map without making 10-20 adjustments.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
I can't even begin to express how much I admire you guys right now.

Kirkfat, I'll point one of the guys your way, and if he has more info to shed, he will.
(He may not, because measurements differ, etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Another question: Is there any math that I can do with the y and details? For example, the foundry gives me the height dimensions of a table in the object preview/description. But, it doesn't seem reliable at all. Like if a table is 4 high, I'll put a glass at 4.1. 5 minutes later, I've placed the glass on the table after making a dozen corrections to the y coordinates.
/loc isn't accurate enough to really help with placing items. Either that or the item dimensions aren't accurate enough. Loc can only get it into the right ball park and then you're on your own.

We really need to start some sort of compendium of how different objects relate to another

EX (made up): Table 01 set at 0, Glass 01 at 1.1 puts it on the table properly.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-02-2012, 07:35 AM
I've discovered that there is a more-accurate version of the /loc command: /locvec, which gives the X,Y,Z location [vector] to 6 decimal places. I use it for camera placement for screenshots and /demorecords, but it is probably very helpful for situations like this.

For instance, Kirkfat could stand on the table on which an object is to be placed, type /locvec and make a note of the Y location and then place the object at that Y location (after calculating the conversion from in-game to Foundry).
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Wait, /loc works?

I like that /locvec command.

If we get the conversion math sorted out, I think my geolocation experiment is back on...

Do you have to publish the map first?
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
I can't even begin to express how much I admire you guys right now.

Kirkfat, I'll point one of the guys your way, and if he has more info to shed, he will.
(He may not, because measurements differ, etc.)
Thanks, if I could undo these icons, it would help. It was a lot easier when we didn't have these icons.

1. They are not very accurate as icons.
2. They hide more than they reveal.
3. I really don't notice any benefits by having the icons.

It doesn't help that:

1. The x, y, z values no longer match those of the object dimensions given
2. The /loc command gives the older coordinates, and thus requires a calculator to serve its purpose.

All of these things combined: To put a martini glass on a table (if the table isn't hiding the glass in the 2D view), it takes around 5-10 in and outs of the preview mode to put an object onto a map. Lining up walls can take much longer, especially if a ceiling is involved. I have to move the ceiling out of way, just to select an object underneath it. Or, I have to browse for the object in the list of 250.

This is pretty irritating. Patience seems to be the most necessary skill of being a foundry author. It's going to take at least 60 hours to build this city.