Lt. Commander
# 11
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Might be more accurate to call it a zone with heavy colonization activity.

Still, I'd hate to see it go away if only for the sake of low-level characters. Warp speeds for starting characters are way too slow to push out the "Final Frontier" too much.

Here's the part I don't get... How come we can't cut through DV to get to Rolor and on through to Cardassian space?

Doesn't really make sense that we have to go around it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Well, "next to" Earth doesnīt mean much in space. Itīs still far away. And space isnīt two-dimensional either.

On the other side of the wall behind my monitor is another house. Itīs just a few meters away and I NEVER explored it. :p
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
simple fact dense clusters can remain unexplored

90% of earths oceans are largely unknown
This and, really? Human beings complain about anything!
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksterbro View Post
No, I'm afraid I can't agree, that's the one I use for the Explore Strange New Worlds Daily for dilithium, it's close by ESD so it's far too handy to get rid of
Then you have yet to discover that completing Stange new worlds and B'Tain daily grants you both dilithium rewards with only 3 explored systems.

Now on the topic: I also don't use Delta Volaris Except for some Doff misons
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
2. The missions in this cluster are terrible, starting with aid the planets quest. It's also badly implemented, when "explore unknown system" ---> "A Starfleet outpost in this sector.." or "Explore Unknown System" ---> "Starfleet! Where have you been?"
That's a problem in every "exploration" cluster. The "Genesis System" was advertised as an industry innovation that would allow STO to provide endless New Worlds to Explore.

Not so much... Instead we get a jumbled mash of enemies and maps and dialog that doesn't make sense. My very favorite Mishmash Dialog is a Borg Drone who tells you the Borg have come in search of relics from their Third Dynasty. Wow...

Cryptic knows it's a big mess and we used to hear talk of an Exploration Revamp but not any longer. I think F2P changed their focus on a lot of things with "exploration" taking a hit.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
That's a problem in every "exploration" cluster. The "Genesis System" was advertised as an industry innovation that would allow STO to provide endless New Worlds to Explore.

Not so much... Instead we get a jumbled mash of enemies and maps and dialog that doesn't make sense. My very favorite Mishmash Dialog is a Borg Drone who tells you the Borg have come in search of relics from their Third Dynasty. Wow...

Cryptic knows it's a big mess and we used to hear talk of an Exploration Revamp but not any longer. I think F2P changed their focus on a lot of things with "exploration" taking a hit.
Actually there has seemed to be some talk that it will be next after starbases or tied to them somehow. As I understand it, the theory is we will operate out of starbases and explore/colonize from there.

Whether that actually happens or happens in a way better than the current system remains to be seen, of course...
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to just delete this entire cluster?

1. It doesn't make sense that a large box of unexplored space is right next to the Sol system. The human urge to explore the galaxy would also go in a SW direction.
2. The missions in this cluster are terrible, starting with aid the planets quest. It's also badly implemented, when "explore unknown system" ---> "A Starfleet outpost in this sector.." or "Explore Unknown System" ---> "Starfleet! Where have you been?"
3. The only thing that the DV cluster does effectively is stall my ship every single time I set course from ESD to DS9.

So, please just delete this cluster, Cryptic. If you want to do something with the other clusters in an exploration revamp, fine. But we don't need a region of unexplored space right next to Earth, Vulcan and Andoria. It's dumb.
When they add the missing Alpha sectors, I could see Delta Volanis become a nebula similar to the ones in Omega Leonis.

But I wouldn't mind Cryptic getting rid of them and DSES because they no longer serve any purpose outside of dailies.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
When they add the missing Alpha sectors, I could see Delta Volanis become a nebula similar to the ones in Omega Leonis.

But I wouldn't mind Cryptic getting rid of them and DSES because they no longer serve any purpose outside of dailies.
...or They could just push it out further to the left, to make room for what ever new zone They add that includes Betazed, Frenginar as well as the Tellerite Home World.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-25-2012, 05:48 PM
the thing is that apart from playing the god awful aid the planet mission, a new player has no reason to grind in that nebula. It's not like the game teaches them anything to do at that early stage, beyond here's a mission, and here's another, and here is another...

By the time they even learn about the journal or crafting or any of that other stuff, they're in a different sector of the game. Right now, my new toon is in Regulus and I'm still using the sniper rifle from the tutorial. So, that lower level hunt the goblins area is completely unnecessary.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
And here is my review of the mission that gives you your first impression of the Delta Volanis Cluster:

Next up is a mission called "Outreach."

When I saw the description for this mission, I got really excited. The grant dialog prompt is well-written, and it's the first mission I've seen in the game that sounds like it will be non-combat diplomacy. Admiral Quinn tells me to help the Federation spread humanitarian aid in various sectors. He says that he's seen the program save lives.

"Wow, Quinn had a personal experience," I think. This is the first time in the game that he almost comes close to having a personality.

"Alright, Admiral! I'm jazzed." He tells me to find a broker on ESD. Why I need to go to broker to get medical supplies, provisions, and shield generators is not explained. Can't I replicate some of this stuff? Shouldn't I have some of this stuff already? This seems very strange to me. But, let's go find this salesmen.

I find him on ESD, and he's a very nice guy. He tells me that different sectors of space contain both known and unknown worlds. All of these worlds in a specific sector need medical supplies, provisions, and shield generators. "How does he know what unknown worlds need?" I wonder. Maybe that just means that known worlds needs these 3 specific things.

"That's very strange," I think. I want to ask him how so many planets in one particular region of space have such similar needs.

Anyways, he tells me what I need and where to go. But, he doesn't sell them to me. He is a broker with no commodities of his own. Luckily, I find a dealer right next to him, willing to sell me the goods.

This is my first experience with a vendor in STO, after completing the tutorial and playing missions in the order that they pop up aggressively in my face. I found this exciting mission by taking a break from that aggressive spam.

Unfortunately, the vendor is asking me for "energy credits" and I don't have any. Luckily, I secretly know what to do here, so I sell off my inventory and buy a ton of medical supplies, provisions, and shield generators. I can't wait to show that I'm a "shining example" of Starfleet, as the mission suggested.

Alright, so I have the commodities, and I set off to help people. It confuses me that somehow I've completed this mission without delivering the goods. No worries, I think. I'm eager to help folks. I enter the region of "known and unknown" worlds. "It's very strange," I think, "that a large region of mostly unexplored space is literally right next to the Sol system. Does the game explain this? No. Apparently, the human urge to explore the cosmos doesn't go in a SW direction, according to the galaxy map.

It also confuses me that I see no systems. There are just anomalies, and my ship sensors cannot tell the difference between an anomaly and an "unknown system" until I get within 3 light years of the anomalies.

"Explore Unknown System" - Alright, let's go... kill Orions. "We are the most feared warriors!" pew pew pew. What are they doing here? I don't know. Illegal mining? I don't know. 20 minutes of story-less combat. Nothing to see here.

OK, next up: "Explore Unknown System" - Will I find the planets in need? No. Instead this unknown system contains an asteroid field. I get hailed by "local authorities" who ask me to scan some ships in the asteroid field, since they've disappeared. Who are these unknown people who know about the Federation and Klingons, but seem to lack their own ability to fly out to a nearby asteroid and look for missing ships?

What's the story? I scan 5 ships to confirm that it was Klingon weapons fire. Why did they attack? There is no explanation. The closest thing to a story is the fact that this unknown, but knowing society seems to have some tension between the civilian and military leadership. Interesting, but where are people in need?

Next up: "Explore Unknown System" My BO immediately tells me about a scientific outpost in this system, and no one has heard from them in many weeks. My BO knows a lot of information about this unknown system, which is known by Federation scientists. They have an underground research facility, which consists of exactly 5 computer consoles in a confusing system of caves. We beam down to scan one computer, and then another, and then another, and then another. Why do they not have internet?

What's the story? There isn't much of one. The scientists were debating about the implications of their discovery. What was the debate? I don't know. The only thing that I know is that they tried to escape some kind of seismic event by storing themselves in a transporter.

There is no transporter on the map, just 5 computer consoles. Their signals have been lost. Oh well, time to help those people in need.

"Explore Unknown System" My BO immediately tells me that "our orders are to investigate" a scientific research outpost, where Federation scientists killed each other for unknown reasons. I want to tell my BO that those are not our orders! But, OK, that sounds interesting. It's a mystery and no one has the slightest clue what could cause scientists to kill each other in fits of emotional rage.

I beam down to find that I am to scan exactly 5/5 computers to get the needed information. The first computer tells me that they were doing experimental research in powerful pheromones. And, yes, the brightest minds of the Federation have no idea what happened here.

Yawn. 1.5 hours of my life wasted. I can't find a planet in need, and I can't find a decent story. I'm now concluding that an entire of region of space, right next to the Sol system, contains dozens or more throw-away stories that are not stories at all.

This mission called "Outreach" gets 1 star.

What started out with a good premise failed miserably. 5 missions into the game, I still have no clue about what's going on.

But, let's recap:

I somehow destroyed a Borg cube in my Miranda, and I don't know how I did that.
I was instantly given my own ship without much of an explanation.
I saved a ship from Orions, after barely escaping the plot holes.
I discovered that the Undine are very bad at their jobs.
I discovered nothing except "Hide and Seek" was a terrible mission.
And, now I know that an entire region of unknown systems are really known systems, with maps that are not worthy of a foundry review.

Oh yeah, and now I have cargo bays full of medical supplies, provisions, and shield generators. I'll have to sell them to a Ferengi because I'm not going to randomly search for people who need my help. Hopefully, in the future, they will be smart enough to send me a message and tell me where they are located.

Alright, let's see what's next in my adventure to find a good story and discover what's going on in the Trek universe of 2409.