Lt. Commander
# 1 Compensations?
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Since Cryptic was hacked for the last year and a half, what is cryptic going to do to compensate us for this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2012, 12:14 AM
The answer is already in the 'Terms of Service' agreement, which by playing STO, is implied agreement too...
Quote:
PWE is not responsible for any misuse of your Account or your User ID, you agree to accept all risks of unauthorized access to your Account and to hold PWE and its affiliates harmless from and against any improper use of your Account or your User ID, including, but not limited to, improper use by someone to whom you revealed your password.

Please note that, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your User ID and password, and you agree to notify us if your password is lost, stolen, or disclosed to an unauthorized third party, or otherwise may have been compromised. You are solely responsible for all activities and transactions that occur under your Account, and PWE is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your account, including without limitation in the event that your password is stolen or revealed to a third party
http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2012, 03:26 AM
This would be correct if I was attacked and a key logger was installed on my machine. However the very nature of this attack against Cryptic and not the useres, invalidates this portion of the Terms.

With this information being kept in Cryptic database, we as a user can only control the information we give out. This attack was a wide sweeping mass attack. Since this breach of security was also more then just passwords and potentialy credit card information, many courts have kept the responsibility to the business responsible of storing this information. So this portion of the Terms have been met with due diligence by the community and the attack still happened. Crytpic is still respononsible in the end.

So Cryptic, What are you going to do for us?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The answer is already in the 'Terms of Service' agreement, which by playing STO, is implied agreement too...

Except we did not give our password out. Cryptic had lousy security practices and got hacked. Further more not only where they breached but they had such bad security they the breach went unnoticed from DEC 2010 to April 2012.

So we are victims. Amazing you would defend there inability to protect data. Keep in mind at this point we only have there word that only user account names, handles, and encrypted passwords.

Quote:
As part of our ongoing efforts to monitor and enhance security, we recently detected evidence of an unauthorized access to one of our user databases. The unauthorized access occurred in December 2010, and evidence of this has just been uncovered due to increased security analysis.
Quote:
The unauthorized access included user account names, handles, and encrypted passwords for those accounts. Even though the passwords were encrypted, it is apparent that the intruder has been able to crack some portion of the passwords in this database.
Further more when people start reporting getting hack. for while but STOWIKI was getting the blame. When all along it was cryptic fault. They went months with out doing anything.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito3379 View Post
This would be correct if I was attacked and a key logger was installed on my machine. However the very nature of this attack against Cryptic and not the useres, invalidates this portion of the Terms.
So in what way does this invalidate the legal agreement... This is a standard legal clause that all the MMRPG in existence use. To invalidate it will require proof of deliberate and malicious intent in a court of law...

And this clause already covers your claim...
Quote:
You are solely responsible for all activities and transactions that occur under your Account, and PWE is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your account, including without limitation in the event that your password is stolen or revealed to a third party
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito3379 View Post
So Cryptic, What are you going to do for us?
Nothing. If you're genuinely concerned about your account or its security, Support is the best place to ask. If you're simply looking for free stuff because someone circumvented Cryptic's security, please ask elsewhere... like Support.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku

I never clicked an "agree" button after PWE took over. I bought a lifetime subscription to a game owned by a different company with different terms.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
I never clicked an "agree" button after PWE took over. I bought a lifetime subscription to a game owned by a different company with different terms.
A good number of companies would argue that you've basically entered into a contract by using the service that they provide.

Not saying that I agree, that they're right, or that there is any actual legal standing to it. Just saying, it's an argument I've heard before.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
Why do I get the feeling that Cryptic/ Atari/ Whomever had the same clause in their ToS?

Using hort_wort's Aug 2008 join date (edit: As an example):

http://web.archive.org/web/200808300...rms_of_service

Hmm, actually I don;t see anything on that page covering that. I;ve got three screaming kids in my area so I may be missing it though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Here's my position on this:

In an increasingly tech dependent world, you can expect criminals to adapt to their surroundings. Unless there's indication of gross negligence on Cryptic's part that lead to their database being hacked, I'm not sure that I understand why you feel you're entitled to something from them.

If someone broke into a store and made off with customer information, you'd likely hold the criminal responsible, after all, and not the store, unless they left the front door open.

All security can be circumvented with enough effort. My position is that it's just as much your responsibility to take precautions such as using a different password for each site, and using a pre-loaded credit card if you're going to link one to your STO account, rather than expecting the online database to be completely hack proof.

In this increasingly digital world, I feel that you shouldn't expect hand-outs from the company, when they become a victim of a crime like this. It's easy for people to get angry at the company, when the hacker(s) responsible are intangible entities, in that they can't be held accountable.

If you'd taken steps to protect your own information online, then the impact on you should have been negligible. I know there's likely to be some kickback to this comment, as generally, people don't like to be held accountable for their own action or inaction.

My opinion...