Lt. Commander
Just a curious question here, but with the game now running for over 2 years since beta in real time, are we still in the year 2409, or is it really 2412 or 2411, but the game never updates the time except for the Stardate? Just want to see what people thought, and if they have any insight into this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Yes. It is 2409...FOREVER.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2012, 07:31 AM
That would explain the slow growth of the Empire as well, We are stuck in a loop.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
To be fair, most games i've played, don't actually progress the storyline/timeline.
Unless a game is designed to cordon off "out of date" content, as the time progresses, most game's stories would make less sense, but that would basically reduce the content.

Although many level lock content once you have played it, that in a way, is progessing the game's story/timeline.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah this is interesting... Why not have realistic dates that progress?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2012, 08:26 AM
There is precedence to support this in star trek. Don't worry
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
STO is still beta...
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
That would explain the slow growth of the Empire as well, We are stuck in a loop.
That would imply there is some growth involved in order for the Klingons to loop around. =P (I, kid...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koraboros View Post
We do. The game actively creates logs for missions done and applies a stardate to them based off a system Cryptic uses. Which makes the whole 2409 think even stranger.

(You can see an extensive history of this in the final tab in your mission journal called logs. Click an entry, the stardate will be included. How far back it displays depends on how active you are ofc, for example, one one of my characters it goes back 8 months, on another its only a few weeks - but you can see a progression in stardate as it corresponds to actual date and time.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koraboros View Post
It is a standard gaming practice. It is only noticeable in this game because it is using real dates whereas TOR doesn't. The main problem is if you progress the calendar, you find that Devidians have occupied Drozana for the past two years!

There are some things where "it's a game" will take seniority over "realism".

On a side note: I remember someone doing the math early and and showing it would take over 90-years to do these missions in "real time" once you factor in travel time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
One of the things I've noticed around here is the amount of people who appear as tho this is their first game. Not even their first MMO. I'm talking their first game ever.

That may be the case. Star Trek is an unique IP. I can see where many people who never cared about games before would be very interested in an online Star Trek world. This does lead to an interesting situation. As an avid gamer and MMO player, the STO community often amuses me with how they react to situations that a more seasoned gamer doesn't blink an eye at.

Random loot drops, odd ranking, static content such as dates and missions that don't change anything, death penalties, nerfs, gates, caps, the list goes on. Its kinda funny for somebody with my perspective to see.

I say the following with love, not ire, so please don't respond back with rage. I'm not trying to poke fun, I'm trying to reach out to you:

"L2P, NUB!"

These experiences require a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. You can't nit pick every little aspect of it. Once you accept that its a game, and with that comes certain compromises that must be made, you start to have a lot more fun then when your in the phase of your relationship with MMOs where you are "angry at God" for all the evils in the world.

So please, stop trying to over analyze every tiny bit of gaming abstraction that you find. They are something that isn't going to go away. As long as we are using these clunky devices to experience our shared hallucination, we will be cursed with odd inconsistencies. Someday we will have Holodecks, and can aim for 100% fully realistic experiences. Until then we can enjoy what we have. There is only so much you can do when you only have button presses and mouse clicks to work with.