Lt. Commander
# 41
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey
I always assumed the time you are in depends where you are in the chain of missions. All the missions are in a chain that covers 2 years and ongoing. Near the start of the mission chain is 2409, at the point when DS9 is taken over by 1000ís of ships then you are at 2411.

In game time might only be a few weeks but that way your promotions make a litlte more sence.
What he said; you gotta bear in mind that months and months go by where you and your crew are just doing regular ship type stuff. Patroling a sector where nothing is happening, scanning asteroids that turn out to be balls of dirt, drinking coffee while slouched in your captain's chair and oggling the cute ensign as she sashays by. Fact of the matter is, when you get promoted? That's not because you blew up a bunch of Gorn ships threatening a freighter. It's because you did a good job on your TPS reports. The missions are just the occasional, rare action that you remember in the 2 years of drudgery fom 09-11.
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I've always figured 12-18 missions make a year of game time. That estimate is based on the average season of the various series. A season was usually 20-24 episodes and generally appeared to cover about a year of time in universe. Since some of those eps were two-parters, drop the count to 18 (an overcompensation I know) and there you have a year of game time.

And yeah, for every episode we saw, there had to be weeks or months of everyday routine. I once heard a Navy tour described as 6 months of tedium and 6 hours of excitement. I imagine the same general principal would apply to Starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-29-2012, 10:00 PM
It would ruin the story line for new players...its 2409 and we need you...not its 2411 and you need to catch up...

Thats the best I can come up with...but, all accolades are based on Star Dates, so you can keep track with that. If you need too.

Did Dr. Sibak invent the Cannibal Tribble? Inquiring minds want to know.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
And after 23 seasons on air, Bart Simpson is still 9 years old. . .
sto is not the Simpson
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
sto is not the Simpson
Are you daft? His point is that in fictional universes time may not act in accordance with real life. Using the Simpsons as an example does not make the point invalid.
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autistic_Cucoo
Are you daft? His point is that in fictional universes time may not act in accordance with real life. Using the Simpsons as an example does not make the point invalid.
that your opinion to make

don't ask me if I am stupid again btw
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-01-2012, 03:24 AM
What does my opinion have to do with the fact that you not liking the example he chose to illustrate his point not making the point invalid?
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
sto is not the Simpson
STO is also not a persistent world, or every mission would go away as soon as someone finished them.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
STO is also not a persistent world, or every mission would go away as soon as someone finished them.
well it don't take some one whit a IQ of 1400 to find that out but its still not the Simpson and to make that a point for why no time has passed in the game is stupid but then again the game is still in beta so I can now see why no time has passed
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Wow, ok. He used a widely known TV show as an example for another work of fiction with some static elements that don't follow "real time logic". That's all. He didn't say STO was like the Simpsons in any other regard.