Lt. Commander
The team at PrimetimeUGC has released part 1 of their interview with Lead Designer Al Rivera. Check out the episode, made completely with the Foundry, here.

Link to the interview.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
We had an awesome time.

Thanks to Al for coming on.

Make sure you tune in this monday and the next for the continuation of the Interview as well as for a special panel on foundry writing with guest Cryptic_Kestrel
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Cool, love the interviews with Al, thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, what Al described about branches is exactly what is holding me up from fixing the UPS Foundry map.

After I built UPS (even before it went live), I shifted from Branch 17 (which is the branch that is live currently) to Branch 20, to work on Starbases.

Usually, we would have 2 branches on our machines at once. This is how we've done it on Champs, and back to COH. One Branch is whatever you're currently working on (for me, Branch 20), and one branch is labeled as "Fix" and is usually, whatever is currently live, so if we need to make fixes, we do them there.

But Star Trek is a significantly bigger game than our previous efforts.

One branch of STO, is something like 350-400 GB. I have a 1 TB drive, and with everything else I have to have on my system to do my work, I don't have enough space to make another copy of the game. So I have no "Fix" branch. All I have on my machine right now, is Branch 20.

Any work I do in one branch, is automatically passed forward to all subsequent branches. In other words, if I fixed something in 17, those changes automatically propagate through 18, 19, 20, etc. However, if I fix it in 20, 17 doesn't get those changes. In addition, the file links will be broken, so even if I did go back and do something in 17 after changing it in 20, those changes wouldn't carry forward anymore. The changes in 20 would move forward from there.

So, that leaves me with the conundrum of UPS Foundry map. Here are my options:

I don't have enough hard drive space for a second branch (17).
I could fix it in 20, but then you guys won't see it until Season 6 (this option is sadly the most likely at this point)
I could change my existing branch to 17, fix it, then change back to 20, but that's almost 2 days of doing nothing. (It takes a long time to change branches)
I could try (and have tried) to find someone else with a working copy of Branch 17, and change things on their machine. This has been difficult as everyone has moved forward to 20. The one computer that I found that still had 17, had an issue preventing 17 from starting up.

So, apologies again for the UPS Foundry bugs, I promise they will be addressed. Sadly that may have to wait until Season 6 goes live. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Yes, what Al described about branches is exactly what is holding me up from fixing the UPS Foundry map.

After I built UPS (even before it went live), I shifted from Branch 17 (which is the branch that is live currently) to Branch 20, to work on Starbases.

Usually, we would have 2 branches on our machines at once. This is how we've done it on Champs, and back to COH. One Branch is whatever you're currently working on (for me, Branch 20), and one branch is labeled as "Fix" and is usually, whatever is currently live, so if we need to make fixes, we do them there.

But Star Trek is a significantly bigger game than our previous efforts.

One branch of STO, is something like 350-400 GB. I have a 1 TB drive, and with everything else I have to have on my system to do my work, I don't have enough space to make another copy of the game. So I have no "Fix" branch. All I have on my machine right now, is Branch 20.

Any work I do in one branch, is automatically passed forward to all subsequent branches. In other words, if I fixed something in 17, those changes automatically propagate through 18, 19, 20, etc. However, if I fix it in 20, 17 doesn't get those changes. In addition, the file links will be broken, so even if I did go back and do something in 17 after changing it in 20, those changes wouldn't carry forward anymore. The changes in 20 would move forward from there.

I could fix it in 20, but then you guys won't see it until Season 6 (this option is sadly the most likely at this point)
I could change my existing branch to 17, fix it, then change back to 20, but that's almost 2 days of doing nothing. (It takes a long time to change branches)
I could try (and have tried) to find someone else with a working copy of Branch 17, and change things on their machine. This has been difficult as everyone has moved forward to 20. The one computer that I found that still had 17, had an issue preventing 17 from starting up.

So, apologies again for the UPS Foundry bugs, I promise they will be addressed. Sadly that may have to wait until Season 6 goes live. Sorry for the inconvenience.
no problem. it was broken from the start so its not like everyone used it and then it went wrong. just ix it when s6 goes live. we will just have to wait a bit longer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Listening Now, great interview so far

LMAO the fake ads are awesome!

Also, it possible you could make the show subscribe-able via podcast aggregators like iTunes?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
But i like the Enterpise G.. erm.. i mean the USS SUPERTIGERHAWK5000 now with extra nyan cats... or something like that ;-P
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWard1701 View Post
Listening Now, great interview so far

LMAO the fake ads are awesome!

Also, it possible you could make the show subscribe-able via podcast aggregators like iTunes?
We've been considering this.

The main problem is that because we're not an audio podcast, and Video is our identity, we would need a lot of bandwidth and that's expensive :/

We are looking into it, but at the moment we're sticking with YouTube.

What we may do in the mean time is setup a basic RSS feed to be subscribed to that will have the links and be used simply as notification.

Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:

Sounds like you need a second machine.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
Sounds like you need a second machine.
Cost-Benefit Analysis. Is he going to make enough use of that second machine to justify purchasing it? Though having a machine dedicated to holding the latest branch for the purposes of bug fixes and making that machine a "community" machine is something that they might want to look at if they don't already have such a machine (as the post seem to imply that they might).