Lt. Commander
# 11
04-26-2012, 04:53 PM
We just need bigger hard drives. Swall just got a 2 TB drive (I'm not jealous, I swear) so he could get a fix branch going.

Might be able to work something out with him once it's up and running.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
We just need bigger hard drives. Swall just got a 2 TB drive (I'm not jealous, I swear) so he could get a fix branch going.

Surprised you guys don't just keep a 'hot swap' drive around for just this type of situation (assuming your development workstations are the same base hardware.)
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Surprised you guys don't just keep a 'hot swap' drive around for just this type of situation (assuming your development workstations are the same base hardware.)
Interestingly enough, I've always discouraged developers from developing on local machines as they do not have dedicated backups and the resources that say servers which have more CPU/memory/RAM and faster disk IO (as a SAN or NAS) would. If someone's desktop goes up in smoke, their work goes with it. If a server dies, the data is stored on external storage (which is faster than local disk by far) and can simply be brought back into existence by moving the IDs to new hardware with minimal to no downtime.

Then again, I do like high availability...
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Everything is backed up whenever a dev wants to, through source control. We check in and out files all the time. Anytime we check something in, that version will always be available.

If there is a major loss of work, it would be because the dev in question had not checked his work in in however long. This has never really happened to my knowledge in the 7 years I've been here.

ETA: I take that back. I lost a couple hours of work once because my hard drive blew up. Still, frustrating, but ultimately a minimal loss.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Yes, what Al described about branches is exactly what is holding me up from fixing the UPS Foundry map.

After I built UPS (even before it went live), I shifted from Branch 17 (which is the branch that is live currently) to Branch 20, to work on Starbases.

Usually, we would have 2 branches on our machines at once. This is how we've done it on Champs, and back to COH. One Branch is whatever you're currently working on (for me, Branch 20), and one branch is labeled as "Fix" and is usually, whatever is currently live, so if we need to make fixes, we do them there.

But Star Trek is a significantly bigger game than our previous efforts.

One branch of STO, is something like 350-400 GB. I have a 1 TB drive, and with everything else I have to have on my system to do my work, I don't have enough space to make another copy of the game. So I have no "Fix" branch. All I have on my machine right now, is Branch 20.

Any work I do in one branch, is automatically passed forward to all subsequent branches. In other words, if I fixed something in 17, those changes automatically propagate through 18, 19, 20, etc. However, if I fix it in 20, 17 doesn't get those changes. In addition, the file links will be broken, so even if I did go back and do something in 17 after changing it in 20, those changes wouldn't carry forward anymore. The changes in 20 would move forward from there.

So, that leaves me with the conundrum of UPS Foundry map. Here are my options:

I don't have enough hard drive space for a second branch (17).
I could fix it in 20, but then you guys won't see it until Season 6 (this option is sadly the most likely at this point)
I could change my existing branch to 17, fix it, then change back to 20, but that's almost 2 days of doing nothing. (It takes a long time to change branches)
I could try (and have tried) to find someone else with a working copy of Branch 17, and change things on their machine. This has been difficult as everyone has moved forward to 20. The one computer that I found that still had 17, had an issue preventing 17 from starting up.

So, apologies again for the UPS Foundry bugs, I promise they will be addressed. Sadly that may have to wait until Season 6 goes live. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Quote:
Everything is backed up whenever a dev wants to, through source control. We check in and out files all the time. Anytime we check something in, that version will always be available.

If there is a major loss of work, it would be because the dev in question had not checked his work in in however long. This has never really happened to my knowledge in the 7 years I've been here.

ETA: I take that back. I lost a couple hours of work once because my hard drive blew up. Still, frustrating, but ultimately a minimal loss.
Somebody send TB an extra 1-TB thumb drive...quick !

<chuckle>
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Somebody send TB an extra 1-TB thumb drive...quick !

<chuckle>
DEAL! 3216635
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
DEAL! 3216635
How's this one sound?

It's even on sale.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
One branch of STO, is something like 350-400 GB. I have a 1 TB drive, and with everything else I have to have on my system to do my work, I don't have enough space to make another copy of the game. So I have no "Fix" branch. All I have on my machine right now, is Branch 20.

(....)

I don't have enough hard drive space for a second branch (17).
Would you like me to drive down (no pun intended) to Cryptic HQ with a spare 1TB external drive?

I'm actually surprised there's no budget to send you over to Fry's to grab a spare HDD. Can we say backups?
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Quote:

Oh, for goodness sakes, I also have a spare 2TB internal drive here. Are you guys truly lacking that much storage space?

If *I* were the QA manager, there would be words... (Deadlines to meet! Productivity to be improved! )
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Upgrades are in the works, just takes time to roll them out.

My computer is nearly 3 years old now *gasp*

ETA: ZOMG! *DING!* I just realized I've been at Cryptic for 7 years as of today.