It's definitely not bad luck. I was thinking about making a post about this. I've had bad luck all around though, even DOFFs rewarded from DOFF assignments all seem to be Development or Research for the most part (8 out of 10).
All I get are tactical and security, and my cup runneth over with projectile weapons guys. I wish I was getting Research and Development guys. I paid good dilithium to get all the ones I could buy at SFA, and I still have way too few. I do keep track, and I have gotten one botonist, one biologist, and one geologist, but no research and no development.
This thread is so true! I've gotten so many biologist I yell at my monitor. I've always felt that when you return 5 doffs, the one you get back should be of the same department or field as the 5. If you mix and match than it should be random between the departments.
I don't know any kind of military organization that would operate like "Oh, you need an Engineer...We're assigning you a Refugee...
You've not spent any time in the military have you? LoL. See, the way detailers work is like this:
1. Personnel submit Dreamsheet - list of preferred duty stations (though its more like:<sarcasm>"In your dreams buddy!"</sarcasm>)
2. Detailers take a stack of 100 or so dreamsheets.
3. Stack of Dreamsheets thrown in air.
4. Whichever Dreamsheet clings to he ceiling is awarded duty station of choice.
5. All remaining are assigned duty stations via random dart toss... (I swear that's how I ended up on a carrier as a cook instead of a destroyer)
But in all seriousness, it would be nice if, for example, I wanted to bounce 5 Tactical DOffs and in return I get next higher Tactical DOff instead of a bartender XD
I think the higher rank Doff you receive should be determined by the type of the 5 lower doffs you trade in. With a percentage chance if more than one "class" of doff is traded.
Meaning 5 white science doffs gets you a green Science doff, or 2 engineering and 3 tactical gets you a 60/40 chance at either, or 5 of different classes gets you a 20% chance at any of the ones you have traded in... etc.