Lt. Commander
# 1 Gold Boxes are Unbound again
04-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Why are the Ferengi Gold Boxes unbound yet again?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Akir
Why are the Ferengi Gold Boxes unbound yet again?
Because the sales of Master Keys dropped off significantly after they bound them depriving many people of the incentive to try their luck would be my guess.

Many people like myself will not open a green box, but we will open a Gold one.

I would not be surprised to find out that they tweaked the drop rate of gold boxes to drop more often.

Sometimes a mistake happens and it is inadvertantly a good idea. Maybe the numbers being generated by the corporate bean counters realized it too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Don't tell Cryptic silly!

I'm joking, I don't gamble in video games anyway...
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Don't tell Cryptic silly!

I'm joking, I don't gamble in video games anyway...
Its not really gambling if you buy your keys from the exchange for EC.

That in turn provides a market for the Whales who spend tons of cash to buy stuff from the C-Store to sell on the exchange in order to raise the EC to just outright buy their Lock Box ships from the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trismigistus View Post
Its not really gambling if you buy your keys from the exchange.
True, but someone has to buy from the c-store. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
True, but someone has to buy from the c-store. :p
Developers take note...

Encouraging the purchase of Master Keys from the exchange for EC provides a market for the Whales who spend tons of real cash to buy stuff from the C-Store (Master Keys, Doff packs, Boff's etc...) to sell on the exchange in order to raise the EC to just outright buy their Lock Box ships from the exchange sold by regular players who get them by buying Master Keys off the exchange for EC.

Gold boxes were selling well at 5 million a pop on the exchange before they changed them to be bound.

They will need to tweak the drop rate on Gold Boxes significantly to bring down the price on the exchange to a million, or less.

At 5 million a pop on the exchange too many people will sell them instead of open them. I know I was. I have not opened a single box this time arround, but then again I was able to just buy my D'Kora from the exchange for 100 million EC.

Last Lock Box event I opened x6 gold boxes with keys I bought off the exchange trying for the Galor. I would have opened more had I been able to get more Gold Boxes.

There is definately a balance as well as the consideration of price in EC vs the odds of winning a lock box ship that needs to be experiemented with to determine if it is better to have the lock boxes bound, or unbound. The right balance would result in increased real money profits and encouraging more people to open boxes who otherwise would not open them is the best way to in crease C store purchases.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Team 1 working on regular update schedule.
Team 2 working on fixing unbound lockboxes.
Team 2 branched out from the same code as team 1 began with, but they forgot to incorporate team 2's iteration that fixed the boxes into team 1's code for the regular update schedule.

Simple answer: Sloppyness

At least, that's my prediction :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
Team 1 working on regular update schedule.
Team 2 working on fixing unbound lockboxes.
Team 2 branched out from the same code as team 1 began with, but they forgot to incorporate team 2's iteration that fixed the boxes into team 1's code for the regular update schedule.

Simple answer: Sloppyness

At least, that's my prediction :p
In the patch notes it does say...

The tooltip for the Gold Ferengi Lock Box has been updated to match the FAQ.

They very well could have messed up the last patch that made them bound while fixing that issue.

The tool tip code for the lock box was where the bound trait would have been coded.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Yup, I also think that's what happened.

I'm also going to think that they will "forget" to re-bind the boxes for a couple more weeks. I can still hear the CHA-CHINGs coming from the CEOs, and I'm not even on the same continent.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2012, 06:11 PM
How about unbind Cardassian boxes too? I have a few I'd like to sell. And no, I'm not opening them myself.