Lt. Commander
So, I guess you want to know what my problem is? The game keeps crashing...crashing...crashinnngnngngnng..!...!.!. .? A while ago, I had a chat with one "CrypticCliff" (who is apparently a dev for the game) who told me it was my processor and that I should complain to Intel about it. This is 1 in ten games i have and it is the only one that crashes. Furthermore, he told me that the game was making a bad call. Since it is a problem with the game, i thought I would write a well thought out response to him asking why I should complain to intel when it's a problem with the game. Why couldn't he just ask the devs to include in the options menu the option to exclude this call? Well, I never got a response. I responded with another message asking for an answer, as well as displaying my dismay for his utter disrespect for me. I am now forced, after about 2 weeks of waiting, to post a public forum post to confirm that they just don't want to help me, before I file a complaint with the company. Cryptic couldn't possibly think my opinion of this game is worth so little... I sure would love to brag to my friends about how awsome this game is, but every time i try to complete an STF, it will crash 2-3 times before i actually get through with it. Since my only contact with the devs has decided to ignore me, I guess I'll leave it up to you guys: Who should I complain to? Cryptic, or Intel?

My opinion:

Personally, everything runs perfectly on my comp. I dont want to complain to Intel unless my computer just straight-out doesnt work. Not to mention the fact that complaining to Intel would probably have little to no result. This isn't a processor problem.

On the outher hand, CrypticCliff had decided to represent, in the eyes of a customer/user, Cryptic/the game devs. So, to me it might as well be Cryptic as a whole who is ignoring me.

EDIT1: I have a laptop that is 5 years old. The drivers are as updated as they will ever be. It is a software, not a hardware, problem. I am outraged that they would flag this as trolling. I have not said any harsh words or put down anyone. I am expressing my discontent! If that's against forum rules, then I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2012, 07:10 PM
update your drivers. or if you have recently updated your drivers - reinstall the last version that worked. turn all video settings to minimum and gradually raise/enable them to see if there is a particular option your graphics card despises - remember onboard graphics cards are usually cut down versions of card based ones - the fact you mention intel leads me to think you have embedded graphics card on your pc/laptop and most of the time you simply cant play games on these with all graphic settings to maximum captain.

I have played sto on machines ranging from crappy 7 or 8 year old laptops to my current i5 W7 machine and have not had a crash that i can recall (most of these PCs have had ATI Radeon based cards ) - often been booted out of game when server goes down but thats a different matter. Given that the majority of the community is happily playing most of the time crash free, his suggestion to contact your graphics card chipset manufacturer seems sound. Games are written to work with the most popular chipsets however sometimes manufacturers tinker resulting in a particular version of a chip failing to run a game where the previous and next iteration handle it superbly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Are you experiencing symptoms similar to those discussed by binebane and I here? http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=265319

If yes then this problem seems like it could be quite major, I have an open ticket and we'll try to find it out... Now if there was a way to properly contact the devs this could be quite a bit easier to resolve.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I went from 4gigs to 8 on this laptop and things run a lot smoother. Not a solution but just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-27-2012, 05:07 PM
My comp cant do more than 4. It wont make a difference because it wont use more than 4 gig.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutLoud
EDIT1: I have a laptop that is 5 years old. The drivers are as updated as they will ever be. It is a software, not a hardware, problem. I am outraged that they would flag this as trolling. I have not said any harsh words or put down anyone. I am expressing my discontent! If that's against forum rules, then I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable.
Now I have a first generation AMD quad-core system... and its been over 6 months since I've actually had crash playing STO.... If it was a software issue, you would expect the problem to occur, regardless of what the underlying hardware was.... If differences in hardware makes a difference, then that implies that its a hardware driver issue...

There is a known issue, documented on the Forums by the Devs, concerning the Intel graphics driver for integrated video... And its also a known issue that many laptop vendors have not updated or patched their system updates to the newer drivers that corrects the issue... Cryptic does not have the influence to force the vendors to fix this issue. So your choices are to either complain to the vendors, or install the updated driver yourself...