Lt. Commander
# 1 Sexism in STO?
04-26-2012, 07:03 PM
If one takes a close look at the various costumes in STO, you would see some very strange things. For example, take a look at the open jacket uniforms. When females chars have this uniform equipped, they show off a lot of skin, almost too much. But when this same uniform is equipped on a male char, there's an undershirt underneath it. Plus, female chars have so many uniforms that reveal so much of their bodies that more often than not, they look like they're working a street corner rather than being a Starfleet captain/admiral. Where's the skimpy uniform choices for the males? Or better yet, why not just make it so that everyone is mostly clothed (except for swimsuits which would be cool on Risa and Risa only). Either make it so that everyone can show equal amounts of skin (if they so choose) or keep everyone mostly clothed. Now granted the Mirror Universe uniforms were a little revealing in the show so there's not much you can do in THAT area but I'm sure there are other areas that can be addressed.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
My Gorn go topless. No really they do. Just a skimpy little bandolier.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
lol. Right, something I meant to mention but forgot. the Gorn are the ONLY male species to have that option. Why not others?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
If they extend Gorn shirtlessness to other species' males, I expect the very same of the female costume options

For that matter, they could solve the skirtless male costumes by adding kilts. I'd wear a kilt.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus12 View Post
lol. Right, something I meant to mention but forgot. the Gorn are the ONLY male species to have that option. Why not others?
Orion males can go topless too. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Did not know that. Ok, so the Klingons have a couple races where the males can be a little more undressed, but what about the Feds? It's REALLY evident there.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Ill say it, not necessarily sexist: it seems Homophobic
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2012, 07:46 PM
I can't help but think of Galaxy Quest when people start asking about taking off there shirts in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Blame the Great Bird himself (he designed most of the original uniforms)
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
1. Orion female outfits are more revealing than the male outfits. Yes, Orion men can go topless, but their lower-body clothing isn't nearly as sexy as the female clothing. It would be nice to have one outfit option that is more alluring for the men.

2. There is no smooth/youthful skin complexion for men, only two with wrinkles as well as some "aged" ones. The Asian complexion is the less aged-looking, but it still is too wrinkled. We need a smooth/youthful complexion option.

3. You can't make an actual blonde or orange-haired man because the existing complexions have dark brown beard stubble and dark brown eyebrow shading. This makes the eyebrows one chooses look stuck on and clashing if they are light in color.

4. There is no seductive dance emote for men, just for women. If you assign the seductive one to men it switches to the club dance moves.

5. There is no seductive stance for men, but there is one for women. There is also an arguably stereotypical "feminine" stance for women.

6. Practically every male in the Foundry NPC list is gruff looking. There are no sexy-looking guys. The Risa guys available in the Foundry are really goofy-looking when compared to some of the nice-looking men on the planet's surface. There is one human man in a TOS series uniform who isn't terribly ugly, but he's nothing special either.

7. As with the Risa NPC characters, the typical gaming "ultra-masculine males" and "innocent-looking sexier females" dichotomy is apparent in much of the game in general. Even female Klingons tend to be somewhat pretty. Good luck trying to make a cute male Klingon. I tried and the results were nothing to write home about. I don't have a problem with people saying Klingons aren't supposed to be cute by human standards... Well then, why the human-looking cute females?

8. There is no way to make male characters have a smile rather than a grimace with the creation tool. This is particularly apparent when creating an Orion male. Almost no matter what you do, he will have a scowl, like Klingon males. The females, by contrast, can have neutral lip and eyebrow expression. I have seen rare smiles on male character. There is an attractive male on Risa near the big hill who walks around and sometimes does exercise moves. He smiles sometimes.

9. Giving men large lips often gives them an unattractive expression.

10. Orion males have narrow eyes even at maximum eye size but the women don't. That's fine for making an attractive Asian-looking Orion male, but not helpful for making a Caucasian-style character. There should be an eye slider that changes between narrowness and roundness.

11. There is a breast size slider and even on the smallest size, women have quite pronounced breasts. There is no butt size slider for men. If you want a man to have ample buttocks, you have to make his hips wide at the same time which makes men look like elderly women if you don't give them very large upper bodies to compensate. Many of the uniforms also don't accentuate a man's backside or chest but they do accentuate a woman's top.

12. Minor: There is no body fat percentage adjustment to make males who have less prominent ab muscles and such. I know the low body fat look is popular today, but research has found a higher fat percentage is actually considered more attractive to the average person. That doesn't mean the guy is fat. It just means the muscle definition is not so strong, even if he has large muscles -- especially in the abdominal area.

13. There are very few male Orion duty officers with the seductive trait. Fortunately, there are plenty of bridge officers on the Exchange with it.

14. Seductive isn't available for Orion males in the character creator as a substitute for physical strength, even though it is an option for bridge officers. Many male bridge officers on the Exchange come with with seductive as their racial trait rather than physical strength. I would like to see the character creator give players the option to choose seductive for males and not just females as their racial trait.

15. As far as I know, the reward Orion Klingon faction bridge officers (for Fed diplomacy) are only offered in female form, no males. I have yet to see a male offered on the Exchange and I've read a topic from the forums that said the option to choose a male was missing.

16. All of the Orion males depicted in the game are brutish, while the females are all pretty. I would like to see some exceptions to this rule. The developers are free to use the Orion males I have created in the game. I have created some fairly attractive guys in the main game and in the Foundry -- despite the limitations of the tools. (Also, I have made some nice Deltans in the Foundry that would be great to see in the game.)

17. I don't think there is any sexy guy who is the equivalent of these:

http://mmogamerchick.files.wordpress...en-of-nine.jpg
http://www.stowiki.org/Uniform/Seven_of_Nine
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4168/80062202.jpg
http://forums.startrekonline.com/att...7&d=1284762386
Closed Thread