Lt. Commander
# 91
05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but sexism has been a part of the Star Trek genre since day one when they called everyone to the studios for casting calls. Its was really bad in the TOS as the shorts skirts, and sexy hippy costumes and was even present in the sterile TNG era with breasts on every woman that defied gravity. We saw it with 7of9 in Voyager and more gravity free mamms in DS9. The best though was still the hazmet detox gel rubbing scene in ENT though.
But its always been in the genre for no more fact than sex sells.
Lt. Commander
# 92 Open Jacket
05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
For example, take a look at the open jacket uniforms. When females chars have this uniform equipped, they show off a lot of skin, almost too much.

I got the open jacket and i don't think is shows any skin. It doesn't show cleavage so whats the point. Have you watched the original series? skimpy clad women are everywhere and I like it so please don't make general comments about what most species like and thats undressed girls. I have 5 Orion's, two alien's, and 2 Vulcan's all female and all smexy.
Lt. Commander
# 93
05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkip View Post
I'm gonna need to give the memo to this person next time I see them in PvP then
As I said, the boob slider matters as well - breasts of that size indicate that it's not really a child anymore. I suspect that there is leeway for teenagers (and does not consider any outliers you could care to bring about 8 year olds with stubble or 9 year olds with well developed breasts). Rating boards are weird in the end.

Quote:
Straight men would be weirded out by a bunch of sexy uniforms for males, and frankly, last I checked, the active female audience for this game is considerably smaller
And how likely will that ever change if we keep giving women mostly stuff they may find demeaning and nothing to attract them?

For me, it's not about taking away, say, Orion Bikinis, but add more TOS Tunics (if that's what women like, as sovallax suggests). And of course, use such things for NPCs and not just for players.
Lt. Commander
# 94 Girls in my fleet
05-03-2012, 08:31 AM
And how likely will that ever change if we keep giving women mostly stuff they may find demeaning and nothing to attract them?

For me, it's not about taking away, say, Orion Bikinis, but add more TOS Tunics (if that's what women like, as sovallax suggests). And of course, use such things for NPCs and not just for players.

I have girls in my fleet and they like being sexy, most women do. If we have the body we enjoy showing it off. The original series reflected what most young women were wearing at the time. Who says it's demeaning to women ..... men? Ha ha ha please don't post ideas that concern women sir.
Lt. Commander
# 95
05-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashgalaxy86 View Post
It's marketing... pure and simple.
Straight men would be weirded out by a bunch of sexy uniforms for males, and frankly, last I checked, the active female audience for this game is considerably smaller and less perverted than the male audience. Simply put, I don't think women who play games want/expect scantily clad males in their MMOs. Women aren't on the same level of sex-obsessed as the average gaming man. Consider this: do women like watching gay men make out? No. But most straight men fantasize about the reverse scenario.
Wierded out by what? Bare chested dudes? We saw that in Mirror Mirror, Amok Time, Emissary, and Wrath of Khan. I'm straight and would have no objection to this. 'Cause I wouldn't be thinking anything. Like that Dev Caitian costume, during that 1 year event. When I see a funny character in game. I have a laugh and take a photo. In fact, I want a bare chested option (on everyone). Risa just ****es me off when I see summer clothes. And I can't make a proper Hulk cause of this. Risa has a Hulk-alike walking around.
Lt. Commander
# 96
05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Hulk??
A really BIG Orion male maybe??
Lt. Commander
# 97
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoson View Post
umm.. their orions... it is NORMAL for them to dress like that.

Team... seriously... some brakes here...

Learn about the cultures you are talking about before making incorrect or uninformed comments.

In Star Trek history...In orion society its the WOMEN who rule, NOT the men. In Klingon Culture it is more men. Human culture its more equaled out, and each race has is own specifications.

Nothing wrong with the uniforms (well other then game mechanic bugs that have been around for 2 #@$% years), but the gist of the outfits are pretty spot on. My wife is not complaining of any thing on clothes, other then the lack of some options for the KDF side, but that is a game mechanic flaw. Those costumes that are there are pretty close and fit well.

Understand the term Sexism is a "perspective" of the viewer and not a easily defined thing. I would suggest we just do not go there.
Well I was hopping that the OP would note that, in that they are the worse offend for both sides of the arugument was the same race. The OP is totally talking in a out of game context style to begin with.

Sure Star trek is Sexist, but it also been empowering especially outside the TOS.

EDIT: Sorry all, but this thread (some posts, not all) has gone off topic and into the realm of "shouldn't belong on these forums" (again, some of the comments). I've needed to close it. -BranFlakes
Closed Thread