Lt. Commander
# 1 DS9 Uniform on Defiant
04-27-2012, 06:11 AM
When the TOS pack was released that included the TOS interior, one of the cool features was that the random NPC crew that roams the corridors were all wearing TOS uniforms. It made the ship feel right. But when the Defiant interior was released, the NPC crew were wearing the same generic 2409 uniform as every other interior.

The DS9 pack includes the Admiral version of the DS9 uniform. Why don't the crew inside wear this uniform as well?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-27-2012, 06:22 AM
agreed!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-27-2012, 06:57 AM
One potential issue is that two distinct uniforms were used on DS9 - the original, Voyager-style jumpsuits and the First Contact uniforms. I assume you're referring to the latter - it sure is my preference - but others may disagree.

I predict we'll have to wait for the day when we can (hopefully) set the default uniform for our entire crew.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-El
One potential issue is that two distinct uniforms were used on DS9 - the original, Voyager-style jumpsuits and the First Contact uniforms. I assume you're referring to the latter - it sure is my preference - but others may disagree.

I predict we'll have to wait for the day when we can (hopefully) set the default uniform for our entire crew.
I think the cheap solution would be to simply release three versions of C-Store replica bridges with different NPCs.

I actually hope, given all the buzz about fleet starbases, that they're thinking ahead to fleet starbases having NPCs in fleet uniforms and that player ships will inherit this tech with a selectable male and female crew uniform.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think the cheap solution would be to simply release three versions of C-Store replica bridges with different NPCs.

I actually hope, given all the buzz about fleet starbases, that they're thinking ahead to fleet starbases having NPCs in fleet uniforms and that player ships will inherit this tech with a selectable male and female crew uniform.
Or just make the option for the choice of which 3 in the costume selector. It would be a waste of money buying a new bridge just for a new crew uniform. Especially as the Belfast has already been created and sold.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiadan
Or just make the option for the choice of which 3 in the costume selector. It would be a waste of money buying a new bridge just for a new crew uniform. Especially as the Belfast has already been created and sold.
Huh? Buying a new bridge?

I'm just looking at how the maps work, updating C-Store packs with different sets of NPCs placed.

So the TOS bridge pack would include two bridges and Belfast would include three.

The characters inside ships are not randomly placed and they don't refer back to costumes stored on a character. They are discreet, prefab NPCs (although there might be randomization as to which ones display).

The CURRENT tech wouldn't allow for selecting costumes for them any more than it would allow for Admiral Quinn to look different.

The solutions are new tech or separate selectable bridge maps (which I assumed would be retro-included in existing packs) that have NPCs costumed differently.

So, for example, you could have new tech.

OR you could have the Belfast bridge purchase unlock Defiant Classic and Sao Paulo bridges with early DS9 and late DS9 NPCs.

The current tech requires the NPCs to use fixed costumes or random costumes from within a set... But the costumes can't be selected or modified.

Another option would be to have bridges include hundreds of NPCs in several costume variants and have a console that despawns the ones you don't want and spawns the ones you do. It's a kindof hack-y solution though and would limit options to a handful of prefab costume types.

Now... That might be interesting if paired with C-Store costume bundles.

It's prospectively a TON of work for the content team to handle placements and the selector dialogue as well as costume art but that MIGHT be offset if they raised the price of costume packs to be closer to ships, in exchange for the costumes having more functionality/use.

I mean, maybe they could upgrade the costume packs to include financing for the content team work done needed to make this happen and maybe help offset the relative value by expanding costume bundles to include LCARS and/or ship decals.

At the end of the day, ship interiors probably need more functionality to justify it and any kind of uniform customization on ship interiors is going to hit the content team the hardest. So you're choosing between events/missions/PvP/STFs and customizable ship NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-27-2012, 10:39 AM
probably because the TOS is a very old bridge and the uniform is period specific. they just go together.

the defiant has been around for 45 years or so so and still very much in service so its not specific to late ds9. while having a ds9 uniform is no more or less jarring than the one cryptic have picked, its not quite as necessary.

the ultimate solution is still to let us pick how are crew is dressed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Yes, also some of us are not in 2373 but in 2408.

This is not the first time someone have requested the "period" uniforms and this is not the first time someone else will remind Cryptic not everyone wants to have their crew in DS9 Uniforms.

They do it and I assure you, I *will* complain about it.