Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
best way is back old ,good STF...

normal or elite same things...just bored fast grind without end
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
Make em all available as solo missions
Kill the timers
and get rid of the whole problem
Very well put. Totally agree with you there.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz200565
Elite missions are completely different to the normal mode,and for a "noob" to be able to learn elite,he/she has to experience it,as a form of training. Learning it in normal mode does not work..

I don't complain about noobs. I complain about people that won't be up front that they're noobs, and don't ask questions/follow directions.

Yes, if you have no idea what you're doing, refuse to find out, and if told totally ignore it anyway, then you deserve a little criticism. On the other hand, mistakes happen. If someone accidently blew a generator (etc) and said, "Oops! sorry!" then they're at least showing an intent to do things right.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I've been running normal stf's for a while without problems, most PUGS on normal run pretty smoothly and most people seem to know what they are doing. I've picked up most of the MKXI gear in short order.

However after reading dozens of threads about how awful elite STF's are both in content and participants I'm very reluctant to set foot in one. I know I'm not a bad player I've played on elite difficulty for missions since day one. I would like to get hold of the MKXII gear 'cause the last great challenge for me is PvP which I've avoided so far because I know I need the top level sets to even stand a chance.

So am I right in thinking the best way is to simply type I'm an elite noob when running through these for the first few times to avoid being flamed? Or should I just resign myself to being griefed if I make the smallest mistake
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missalbion
I've been running normal stf's for a while without problems, most PUGS on normal run pretty smoothly and most people seem to know what they are doing. I've picked up most of the MKXI gear in short order.

However after reading dozens of threads about how awful elite STF's are both in content and participants I'm very reluctant to set foot in one. I know I'm not a bad player I've played on elite difficulty for missions since day one. I would like to get hold of the MKXII gear 'cause the last great challenge for me is PvP which I've avoided so far because I know I need the top level sets to even stand a chance.

So am I right in thinking the best way is to simply type I'm an elite noob when running through these for the first few times to avoid being flamed? Or should I just resign myself to being griefed if I make the smallest mistake
You'll be fine... you care.
Just tell the folks its your first elite and listen to what they tell you to do. Usually the instructions will be something like damage X target to 10% then stop. If you blow it up after you were told to stop, I either assume you don't speak english or weren't paying attention in chat and thats what frustrates the experienced players.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
yeah, most people I've found to be pretty tolerant of newbs, as long as they ask questions, listen to what everyone is saying and try to improve themselves. It's the noobs that don't do any of that stuff, that are the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-27-2012, 01:00 PM
If yer a noob and you have atleast a mk x set thats fine the things that fire me up is people who don't know what they are doing and decided normal mode doesn't give them the drops they want so they are just going to go as is and expect a team to pick up their slack. Another is this trend which is mostly from f2p where you got some kid for example tried to tell me he was having technical problems but as soon as KA elite ground team I was on was getting to the boss his technical problems disappaeared. He came running up to fight after he saw we had done everything for him pretty much. The rest of the team isn't much better but its pretty nice to know you actually solo the whole thing as long as you got one person in the room to do that part because thats what happened with me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I am currently making my way through the space elites. I played each one at normal like three times and read the elite guides before trying my hand at elites. Iíve not always been perfect and have found several things the guides donít cover through observation of others and my own misadventure. For example, itís not a good idea to summon fleet support while working on that 10% or how PVP based builds are not always ideal for STFís in that they skip some skills that can really save your bottom when tanking a tactical cube.

One consistent problem is that new comers think elite STFís will play through just like the normal STFs do and this is BADLY WRONG. In some cases the guides for normal STFís teach you EXACTLY the wrong things to do on an elite STF. The elite versions arenít just a harder normal play through. People have no idea why they should stop damaging a generator, cube dock, or gate at 10% for example.

If I could put the normal and elite STF guides together so people would know the differences I would. They all seem to know normal but not that an elite guide exists.

PUGS are hard when we fail to work together well. I keep quiet at the start when I know someone should speak up because I still feel new. Sometimes I look like I am doing the wrong thing because I am trying desperately to cover for someone else. I am still trying to get enough DPS from a cruiser while surviving to feel useful in a DPS heavy favored environment. I am learning though and get better every STF run.

Iíve been frustrated with others too. In particular, when working on that 10% and they just blow objective X up in spite of everyone BEGGING them to stop in chat. Thatís left me hurt and frustrated on occasion. Iíve never RAGED at someone though. I have tried to talk to them and help them only to be Ö well. *sigh* Iíve seen others explode at players and not been happy about it. I can empathize with both parties but have only managed to defuse one angry mob. 2 STF runs fell apart that way. RAGE happens but its not the best response in game at all.

I think another problem is that an STF run is a team environment and STO teaches us to play alone through most of its content and we are surprised at the coordination required and unprepared for it.

The only thing I can say is, itís a game and I am willing to work with a group. I hope most of you are too. Maybe weíll meet out there. But letís not let it fall apart over the stupid stuff and remember to have fun with it too.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalGnat
@chaz200565

This topic is a dead horse...

Any one that doesn't agree to the above doesn't belong in Elite STF's and will be known henceforth as a "noob"

Elite STF's are by their nature "elite" and will attract elitists.
Not in STO though. Apparently, they should just call it social welfare STF because every player is entitled to its fruits regardless of how ill-fitting their playstyle, competency, or qualification is. I respect the newbs who come in with a desire to learn and adapt, but there are quite a few who are coming in with an incorrect and entitled mindset, and those guys end up on my block list more than anything else. We had a froot loop oddy come into a non-pug ESTF being a liability and "Need"ing every loot drop (including green boxes). A simple "This isn't PUG. please don't 'need' every loot that drops" elicited a tirade from him that involved him blowing up, sitting at the spawn point, and spewing some entitlement crap before I put him on ignore.

I expect that kind of behavior in pugs, and I actually don't mind it because it gives me an exercise in crisis management; but now I'm seeing it in non-pugs and that's disconcerting.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet
Or you can google a walkthrough, and denoobify yourself before entering. Yes, it works on elites. No, you don't have to do it to learn it. It's a game, not rocket science.
Learning by doing is the best way for some to figure it out.

Some people literally can read a walkthrough hundreds of times, and still utterly fail at it until they do it a few times.