Lt. Commander
sadly the fleet I am in usually isn't all around when I try and do my STF runs but sadly each time I run them regardless of the type if its infected or cure space I experience one of the following: a) people dont heal b) people just attack one of the cubs and forget about the rest leading to us getting overrun due to them not thinking about the 10% rule c) not doing the 10% rule d) leaving for no aparent reason or e) if thier in the infected round they just go in and blow up one of the nanites totally ignoring the 10% rule and then they take off running see picture below for that example:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2q8r1gh.jpg

Anyway back to doing more STF's hopefully i will get a cure run done eventually been a long time since I got one done on elite
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Your problem is a simple one: Lower your expectations...

People in STFs don't always A) speak the same language, B) have any idea what they're doing. You need to always assume that someone is going to screw something up and you need to have a back-up plan.

I can't stress that enough. No Star Fleet captain in history has ever gone into battle without back-up plans.

I consider it a good day when the people I'm STFing are smart enough to realize that 3D space means you can stay out of the engagement zones of the Borg cubes while you take out the probes...most of them are very Khan in their 2-dimensional approach to space combat.

I had one just last night, some guy in an Odyssey was complaining that the rest of us were making it too hard for him to play because he can't turn his ship fast enough. You have to adapt to the game, the game won't adapt to you.

If you see someone take out a cube too soon, run back to the Kang and defend it and tell everyone else to do the same. Typically I just type: "KANG!" so that, even if they don't speak English they know something is going on. If someone takes out a Nanite Generator too soon, pop evasive maneuvers, put all power to the engines and charge the oncoming nanite spheres with your tractor beam repulsors or something else to slow them down. You need to be able to overcome these little obstacles without rage-quitting or screaming at the other players on the team.

I tend to find if you just assume no one knows what they're doing you can't go wrong.

And you MUST communicate with your teammates. Communication is essential!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Ever since Cryptic added leaver's penalty, STF grieving have been the thing to do. Just mess it up and go afk. The rest of the poor sobs struggle to give you free rewards, since they can't leave. If they do leave and take the penalty, you can leave after without the penalty, and immediately grief the next STF.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Find a more active fleet(or at least active in your time zone)
or
maybe join a channel such as elitestf(groups there wont be as bad as pugs, but not perfect)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
A fleet that uses a voice chat makes it easier.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet
Ever since Cryptic added leaver's penalty, STF grieving have been the thing to do. Just mess it up and go afk. The rest of the poor sobs struggle to give you free rewards, since they can't leave. If they do leave and take the penalty, you can leave after without the penalty, and immediately grief the next STF.
that seems to have become even worse with the recent addition of the stacking respawn timer. Personally, I used to be able to get the optional on Elites 75% of the time or more, now I am lucky if I can get one in ten, between the noobs, the griefers and getting invisitorped and stuck with an insane respawn timer. Unfortunately, judging from Gozer's recent STOked interview, I don't think he realizes this is happening. What we need is the ability to votekick griefers from STFs, or barring that, maybe the ability to vote to forfeit an STF that obviously isn't going well, without the leaver penalty.

In the meantime, try using the EliteSTF channel to put together a group, you're a lot less likely to wind up with noobs or griefers.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet
Sad but true

The really good griever will go to the opposite side of the team in Infected Space and blow one of the mini transformers over there and then sprint out of combat and start spouting off about how many noobs there are on the team.

Just add gankers that you come across to your ignore list and try to warn players about them in-game chat if you feel the need.