Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
For what is now the 5th time since the Ferengi lock box event started I have had a gold colored box drop which is very visibly different from the normal ones in color suddenly turn into a normal green box on pickup.

I can see this maybe happening once on accident, we all now the saying "**** happens", but 5 times now.

most people will probably say who cares the lock boxes are a scam, but I'm responsible enough to know to only open the gold boxes, and only a very few.

There is NOTHING and HAS BEEN NOTHING in the environments that could be making them look gold when they are not.

UNEDITED GOLD BOX SCREENSHOT

UNEDITED SILVER BOX SCREEN SHOT

GOLD/SILVER BOX COMPARISON SIDE BY SIDE

Like I said, 5th time this is happened, 5th box that would have been opened, 5th key that would have been bought, but now isn't.

Time to teach Jamjamz and tumerboy how to do programming too so everything comes out as good as their graphics do??
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
I wasn't aware lockboxes had different appearances when they dropped like that. Shame your screenshot doesn't include the loot window with the gold box listed in it before it's placed in your inventory, makes it near impossible to tell whether that's a gold lockbox or whether the surrounding lighting is making it appear different than others.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I didn't think gold lockboxes had a different graphic. could you post a picture of a normal lockbox in similar lighting conditions for comparison?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-28-2012, 11:32 AM
yeah I can, I just had to wait for another silver green box to drop in an environment that had the same visual style as the screen shot that I took of the gold. I was too tired to do it last night so just give me a few to peel my eye lids open and drink some coffee and then I'll edit the first post with the silver (green) lock box screen shot
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty
I didn't think gold lockboxes had a different graphic. could you post a picture of a normal lockbox in similar lighting conditions for comparison?
The 'Gold' box has a very subtle difference, which is only detectable during a side by side comparison... It is not dramatically different from a normal 'Green' Box, so the only practical way tell if a Box is a Gold Box is to pick it up and see what it is...

My little Ferengi Girl picked up 8 Gold boxes while grinding the Tutorial, and in all but one case, I didn't know I had a Gold Box until after the fact...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Okay I finally got enough coffee in me and peeled my eyes open enough and got around to posting up some more screen shots in the original post. There is now an unedited screen shot of the gold box, an unedited screen shot of the silver box, and a side by side comparison obviously edited to put them directly side by side. NO color or contrast editing was done to the first two screen shots. In the third photo I edited the brightness, but DID NOT edit it in any other way.

The sad and ironic thing about it is they get so much crap from people complaining about the boxes being in the game and now when someone is complaining there is a problem with the boxes and it's effecting them getting them when they do actually want them there is nothing in sight about it getting fixed or even that they are acknowledging this.

Cryptic has got to grow a pair and tell PWE to fix their customer support or give Cryptic the funds to keep/reinstate their own customer support. I still haven't even heard anything about my ticket yet, not even an auto response that they received it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesinthedark View Post
For what is now the 5th time since the Ferengi lock box event started I have had a gold colored box drop which is very visibly different from the normal ones in color suddenly turn into a normal green box on pickup.

I can see this maybe happening once on accident, we all now the saying "**** happens", but 5 times now.

most people will probably say who cares the lock boxes are a scam, but I'm responsible enough to know to only open the gold boxes, and only a very few.

There is NOTHING and HAS BEEN NOTHING in the environments that could be making them look gold when they are not.

Like I said, 5th time this is happened, 5th box that would have been opened, 5th key that would have been bought, but now isn't.

Time to teach Jamjamz and tumerboy how to do programming too so everything comes out as good as their graphics do??
You are 100%, flat out, wrong.

Gold lock boxes do not have a different graphic.

Allow me to list my qualifications: Over 3,000 green boxes, 37 Gold boxes, and 2 D'koras. I spent over 7 days in the tutorial on various alts. I would farm 2 to 5 Golds, complete the tutorial, hand them to my main in ESD and create another alt. When Golds drop, they are indistinguishable from Greens, until you loot the 'box' and see the purple text and gold item icon.

You see, I actually stayed in one environment. You did not. Therefore, your results are already skewed without you completely undermining your case by using pictures of a box in 2 different environments, each with their own unique lighting. I paid very close attention to my boxes as I famed. I would never have any idea when a gold would show up, because there is only one 3-d box graphic. Sometimes I would let 5 to 10 boxes pile up before running forward to loot them. In this case, boxes would be halfway inside one another's graphic. This is a perfect opportunity to witness any differences between them, as they are literally side by side, sort of merging into one new model. Their overall shade and hue were always identical.

This is not even touching upon the fact that the "silver" boxes should be green by your logic.

There is no gold box graphic, and no silver box graphic. Just boxes.

You should always check your facts before going on a conspiracy rant. A simple question to zone chat or doffjobs would have saved you all this trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The 'Gold' box has a very subtle difference, which is only detectable during a side by side comparison... It is not dramatically different from a normal 'Green' Box, so the only practical way tell if a Box is a Gold Box is to pick it up and see what it is...

My little Ferengi Girl picked up 8 Gold boxes while grinding the Tutorial, and in all but one case, I didn't know I had a Gold Box until after the fact...
Translated:
"I can tell the difference between golds and greens"
then
"I can't tell the difference between golds and greens"

:p

What's more likely to be correct, your one box you sort-of-thought-maybe-looked-goldish, or everyone else and their weeks of farming?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Qslayer
Translated:
"I can tell the difference between golds and greens"
then
"I can't tell the difference between golds and greens"

:p

What's more likely to be correct, your one box you sort-of-thought-maybe-looked-goldish, or everyone else and their weeks of farming?
My little Ferengi Girl took weeks of farming to collect a total of 25 Gold Boxes.... And out of those 25, only 2 of those Boxes looked 'slightly different'.... And if this is the experience I had actively looking for Gold Boxes over several weeks in the tutorial, it is unlikely to be a incorrect observation....
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-06-2012, 03:39 PM
hmmm i noticed that too... boxes that looked more golden than others... but on pickup were just a green one

i thought it was because of weird STO lighting engine that has different settings on every map
(sometimes my MACO helmet is blue, sometimes it's grey, sometimes it's highly reflective, sometimes its just dull... it all depends on the map's lighting)